The Car Love Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by FDNY21, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Slum King's '74 Rolls. I'm not a big car guy, but I think driving this would be killer.

photo2.jpg king's 74 rolls.jpg
    FDNY21 likes this.
  2. Until you have to buy parts & repairs! You'll need deep pockets.:D
    FDNY21 likes this.
  3. It kind of looked like a puppy. A very ugly one, though... :p
    I'm not massive on Rolls Royce myself, but I'll give it to them, they certainly do look majestic!
    607 and SleepyPK like this.
  4. As many of you know, the Audi quattro is my favourite car. The Audi quattro was a project to make the world's first 4x4 turbocharged coupe car, and to enter into the world rally championships with the car. The car was built with many pieces of standard Audis of the time, mostly from the Audi 80, but the car was far from a recycled bit of kit and it was a hand-made piece of art that rocked the world when it was unveiled at Geneva in 1980. Only around 11,000 cars were made, despite lest than 1,000 being the original plan. The cars were fairly expensive and like all cars then depreciated, but in the last few years, the price has been rising again due to the rarity of the car.

I love the looks, the 5 pot engine and the lovely exhaust note it has, it has so much character, and the 4x4 system means it revolutionized the rally scene forever. In fact, ever since it entered in the eighties, it only took a few years for all rally cars that entered the WRC to be 4x4. The quattro changed rally forever and that's what makes it even greater. However, after a terrible crash on May the 2nd of 1986, the Group B WRC was banned and all of the cars in it, as there had been numerous incidents before and this one was the last straw for officials. The cars were deemed too fast for the twisty roads (however the WRC cars now are probably just as powerful, but they have much better safety and there are better crowd regulations). The quattro took part in the Pikes Peak hill climb after Group B was over but it was only a few years later before the original quattro was discontinued and the legacy came to an end... But, the beauty still lives on.

I'll be seeing one of these beauties in May this year because my dad has hired one out, I can't wait to see what it's like on the roads. Here's a picture of the one I am hiring:

Majestic car. It doesn't have Italian styling or American muscle under the hood, but it is pure German genius at its finest, a reliable tank with beautiful lines and an engine to die for with the best exhaust notes. Okay, I'll stop my speech there, if anyone wants to know more about it then I may post more about the quattro in the future or I can take questions at any time on this thread if you'd like! ;)
    luckycordel and 607 like this.
  5. The Ford RS200! A very rare and beautifully styled (in my opinion) car which was built for Group B rally in the 1980s. The car was only built for public sales due to the homologation rule which meant a certain amount of cars had to be sold to the public before the car could be produced for rally. 200 were produced for the rule and several more were built for the rallies, though it is unknown as to how many still remain!
    607 and luckycordel like this.

6. Do you know what engine in it? Don't see these in the U.S.
    I would guess 1.9L - 2.0L Turbo!?
    FDNY21 likes this.
  7. 1.8 and 2.1L Straight 4 engines :)
    luckycordel likes this.
  8. I want a couple of these, Please! Love the GTR:D
    images.jpg gtr.jpg
  9. This car. Enough Said.
    Raaynn, battmeghs, 607 and 1 other person like this.
  10. The Mustangs are truly amazing, no doubt!
    I prefer the older ones, the Skyline R34 GTR is probably one of the best looking! :D
    battmeghs, 607 and luckycordel like this.
  11. It's a really corny clip from what appears to be a movie made in the late eighties/early nineties. Car chase with the guy in the porsche seemingly the protagonist and after he gets away he says very dramatically, " Porshce, there is no substitute."
    FDNY21 likes this.
  12. I agree the older GTR is my preference, but are outlawed in the U.S. Not sure why (Safety Thing or Something)
    I'll take what I can get!
  13. Mexico 1st attempt in car manufacturing. I seen this on Top Gear not long ago.
    It looks like a Lotus too me, I hope Lotus Fans don't want to run me over.LOL
    imagesQKVKTKOT.jpg
    Gawadrolt likes this.

14. The Movie is called, Risky Business :D
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  15. The original Skylines were only produced in Japan which means they had to be imported into other countries for them to be used elsewhere. America has a 25 year ban on importing cars, basically meaning that you can only import a car into the US if it is over 25 years old. Skylines have been built since 1957 but the sportier ones only came in the 80s. However, the ones that everyone likes the most tend to be the drift-orientated and JDM kings with lots of speed and power, the R32, R33 and R34 versions which were produced between 1988 and 2002. Time to do some Math...

R32 was made from 1988 to 1994 so they were/are importable to America between 2013 and 2019 onward
    R33 was made from 1993 to 1998 so they will be importable to America between 2018 and 2023 onward
    R34 was made from 1999 to 2002 so they will be importable to America between 2024 and 2027 onward

So, for some of them there's still a few years to go, but expect to see a few popping up here and there as time goes on! :D
    607, luckycordel and Gawadrolt like this.
  16. Whilst on the subject of JDM (Japanese Domestic Market), I thought that I would introduce the Maxda RX7 FD. A rotary engine powered machine with two doors, either two or four seats depending on the option, pop up headlights (<3), typically a spoiler, most of them are quite heavily modified now, and they have a tendency to put in a ton of power when the pedal meets the metal. Well, isn't it supposed to? I suppose so, but these things with the right tuning can be insanely speedy. Here's a picture of one!

Of course, if you find a standard one then they are still fast but they don't look so modified. Because they're standard. Key words: If you can find one. Yeah, good luck... :p
  17. My father used to have an RX-7. I was really young back then but I surely remember it apart from all other cars he had ;)
    FDNY21 likes this.