The Burning West

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by CaptainFoxy_, Jul 7, 2018.

1. It has come to my attention that this wasn't talked about here on EMC or the ways to support the Firefighters.

Currently, there are 40 active forest fires in the Western States. The dry winter and continuous heat wave here in the States dried everything up. This summer's fire season is as worst I seen it ever. Any forests fire can be created from any ignition sources and grow quickly out of control and grow over 5,000 acres in a day.

Here is a website to keep updated on these forest fires. https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/ If you are in the projected path of a forest fire, please keep a good connection with your local news outlet.

Wildfires after a recent study are 90% human created and 10% is Lightning related. Follow all fire restrictions. In Colorado, it's a Stage 2 fire ban which includes all open fires, discharge of firearms, no fireworks, and requirements of spark arrestors in all gas operated machinery. Two of the most recent fires in Colorado were started by people now charged with federal Arson. (Lake Christine Fire and Spring Creek Fire). Don't be the careless one not following restrictions and causing millions even billions of damage.

If you are a kind person who's willing to give out donations towards well being of hotshots and firefighters alike I suggest going to https://wffoundation.org/. Amazing program that was created in the wake of the 14 lost in Storm King Mountain Fire in 94' in Colorado.

Stay safe out there
  2. Yeah, I've read about that before, I think from We3... I can't imagine the vastness of such fires, living in such a small country.
    The link you gave doesn't display anything for me.
  3. Wildfires are very unexpected at times but I hope we can make a change and help those who been affected by them.
  4. Which link? Both are working for me when I click them
  5. I remember it got really bad here in British Columbia. Central BC was completely overrun by fires, and even the smoke from there shifted to the border, and it was thick, the sun was red and it was somewhat difficult to breath. At the end of the summer we left to Prince George to visit our uncle but unluckily we took the long route, because 100 mile house had a huge forest fire blocking the highway
  6. Weird shows me a whole map. Sorry about that :/
  7. For the first time I relate to one of these threads. We don't get them in the UK, but this year there's two fires that linked up slightly eastward of me. When I leave town by about five minutes breathing gets really difficult. I can't imagine what it's like for the Americans who suffer these a thousand times worse, or the Mediterranean countries.
    607 likes this.
  8. especially with the mcmurray fires in alberta 2 years ago. holy crap that was BAD
  9. I think I remember that one.

I think that one made me realise those giant fires have a morbid beauty locked inside of them.
  10. You have nooo idea.
    AltPunisher likes this.
  11. To my surprise, California is making news with severe wild fires "part 2". The reason why it's worse than it was for the past several years for that state is because they got a lot of rain for the past couple years, compared to the past several years. All the plant growth that once was there during the springtime is now fuel for the fires to burn.

Wild fires were bad there during those years where they were in a drought, but nothing like it is now. It seems every week, a new fire has started some place somewhere in California...

Those firefighters deserve a raise, because they're constantly on the move trying to put out fires that keep popping up each week.
  12. I was just doing a tour around the Sonoma and Napa area and we saw a huge forest fire that was burning just over a hill, yet nobody seemed to be panicked.

My aunt, a master of wine, said that most people aren’t worried because they like to stay positive and believe that the forest fires won’t get to their areas. As well, the waitress at a restaurant that we had brunch at said that her neighbour across the way’s house burned down as she watched through the window. She added that she felt Super fortunate that it didn’t happen to her, but at the same time she was nervous because something like that could happen at any one, including when someone’s asleep.

By the time we got back from our trip at Napa, our house in Oakland was covered in ash and the sky was super dark from the smoke from the forest fire. It neeeds to be known that saving people from these fires is something that is extreme dangerous, and the people that help others should be noticed. I thank all of those who work to save others’ lives, even if it means putting their own at stake. Natural disasters happen all the time, and those that save us from them are amazing.
  13. I just checked on another device, and I can't see it there either. Perhaps it's only for Americans?...
    That's scary! Thanks for the story.
    cTJx likes this.
  14. I remember 3 years ago the massive forest fires in northern Saskatchewan. I was luckily away from it but the smoke followed me all the way to South Dakota