[TECH HELP] What phone should I get?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Krysyy, Jul 8, 2015.

1. My Xperia did a spaz on me too! I had mine for about 6 months or so as well surprisingly, when the power button got stuck. Even though the button was in its normal position, it would prompt the message asking if you wanted to turn it off. If you pressed cancel then it would say it again anyway... If you pressed shut down then because the power button was stuck in, it would turn itself on again anyway! I couldn't do anything with it so handed it in to the shop who said they would fix it... Two weeks later, get it back saying it's fixed, problem is still there... Hand it back again, they scrap it and give me a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini, I sell my Samsung = profit.

I used a Sony for 6 months, it does a spaz and I made more money selling the replacement than I ever spent on the Xperia anyway. Spent the extra cash on an iPhone and been going strong ever since ;)
  2. I think I am going to look at the S6 Active more and play with it some in-store.

My current phone is a Galaxy S4 Active and while I don't go mountain biking or hiking, I also don't have more than a screen protector on it and after 2 years, it has only a beat up charging port and some minor damage on the back (from laying it down on the desk). Before that I had an iPhone 4s that I always had to keep in the lifeproof case. Ask moose, I would freak if he was messing with it while out of its case, even for a second.

As for storage, I currently have 16GB with external storage of another 16GB (that I don't use). Memory isn't too much of a priority.
    jkjkjk182 and ThaKloned like this.
  3. +1
    +1
    +1
    A wireless charger is not the ideal solution for this. It'd be better to carry around something like this, which would increase battery life by ~40% on the S6 Active, ~60% on the S6, and ~80% on the iPhone 6. This solution lets you slip both your phone and the 'card' into your pocket and if you need to charge up a bit in the day, just pull both out, connect them, and slip them back into your pocket. Alternatively, if you have more space like a table, you can opt for a 5600 mAh battery bank which would provide a lot more charge to all devices. Unless you only have <5 seconds to get to your phone, I don't think a wireless charger makes a lot of sense for this.
    No..

In many countries besides the US, the iPhone is not a very good solution to go with their carriers. Samsung phones tend to provide a much better level of compatibility and support in other country carriers. If the iPhone worked the same way it did in the US in other countries, I would imagine the market share wouldn't be too far of from 50%.
    What do you mean? The app store and the play store are both very good competitors. There's plenty of things that exist on the play store that don't exist on the app store, but also the other way around. Calling one of the two inferior is a bold statement, they both have exclusive things and that's just how it is. You can't just say one is better, though, since it really depends on the things you use.

Without looking for a very specific app likely made by an indie developer, it won't be very easy to find something that either of the ecosystems don't support in some way. Some apps that are on both systems, however, differ in quality. There are some apps that provide vastly better experiences on iOS vs Android and the other way around as well. But if there was to be something made by an individual that is really specific, say like an Empire Minecraft app made by a member of the community on his own, it's likely that it will be on Android only since it's costly to develop for iOS. It's still a pretty close call.
    I'm just going to skip this one, it's an empty rant.
    Get a 720p 5" phone and a 1080p 5" phone. Pull up a 1080p image on both of them. I'll be damned if you can tell the difference in the screens without pressing your face against the phones. The type of screen (IPS, TN, OLED, AMOLED) matters much more than the extremely marginal difference of 720p vs 1080p on that small of a screen.

Not that huge of a difference.
    Amen.
  4. No, 20% indeed is not a huge difference...
  5. I only saw one mention of the LG G4. I have a G3 and like it quite a bit. I also got a free charger/stand and extra battery with it. (*Watches iPhone users' heads explode when they realize you can swap batteries at-will with Android phones*). Add a big micro SD card for all your music and whatnot and you're good to go.

I am friends with someone who works on Android stuff, and they are very much anti-Samsung for a wide variety of reasons. They make good hardware, but they do a lot of questionable and even downright "wrong" things with their Android implementations. *shrug*
  6. The 15% difference was mainly on display, the S6 having a 1440p one. Refer to what I said before, 1080p on that small of a display is already borderline overkill - let alone 1440p.

I'm not trying to advocate for Apple specifically, but both Samsung and Apple have their advantages they bring to the table and either one should not be instantly be labeled as bad.
    jkrmnj and FDNY21 like this.
  7. The battery thing isn't universal. I believe my 'turn on while charging, drain battery, turn off, repeat' thing I have on my Xperia is down to the battery, which I can't take out. Another problem I haven't been able to observe properly yet, but something that's definitely there, is a freeze and then the screen fades away while the device makes a loud static sound. I think that was caused after the phone turned off again, I couldn't control my anger anymore, and then threw the phone at the wall, and then heard the static sound coming off it. I was like, 'oh, crap', ran over to it, and that was the last time my phone was alright :p

The exterior was completely fine - I think I may have given the interior a good smash up, though >.>
  8. Women's clothes tend to have smaller pockets for some reason, especially more formal clothes. While the card may be small, it still takes up room, along with the needed cord. If she wanted a portable battery pack, she likely already has one and use it with something like a purse or bag. A wireless charger would be ideal if she has her own work space since she can just lay the phone down and be done. No plugging in a battery pack, not keeping track of a battery pack's charge, no digging around for the battery pack, just drop off/pick up charging.
    China is easily the world largest phone market. More iPhones sold in China than in the US this year, yet android still dominates. It is fairly easy to use any phone in other countries. Virtually any unlocked GSM phone will be able to be used anywhere outside the use that has a reasonable network. If a Samsung phone will work there, than an iPhone will too.

Some of it definitely has to do with release date, but much of it is cultural. For some reason people in the US like Apple products more than those elsewhere. It is similar to the newest generation of consoles. If you have an X1 outside of the US, you are in the minority.
    Anything that is on the Apple app store can be on the Play store. Not everything on the Play store can be on the Apple app store. Apple is notoriously picky when it comes to app approval and removal. Google has always been more of an open platform. It costs $100 to be able to submit an app to Apple. It costs $25 to be able to submit an app to Google. Apple uses/encourages developing apps in the new/proprietary language Swift. Google uses Java.

The Play store is going to have more variety, and more apps just because it has low entry barriers.
    I have both a 720p phone (HTC Rezound) and a 1080p phone (HTC One m7). It is not about looking at images, it about smoothness of what is displayed. UIs on 1080p displays are much better looking that UIs on 720p displays. More can be displayed on a 1080p display due to the pixel count. Everything is crisper. The difference is easily noticeable and the argument that "you can't tell the difference" has been debunked many times. Screen type does matter, but smartphone screens are relatively cheap.
    It is a big difference. Samsungs screen has roughly 3.7 times the amount of pixels that the iPhone 6 display has, yet costs only $18 more (not to mentions that it has to cost more to manufacture due to the curved edge(s)). Apple could easily make a better quality phone, but it doesn't want to. Because of how the Apple ecosystem keeps its customers, and because of how they are the only seller inside that ecosystem, they have no reason to make better products. They can cheap out on components because they know people will buy them. Apple chooses low quality and low costs in order to maximize how much money they make. That $47.43 difference may look small on the individual phone level, but in the big picture, it is a huge amount of money they "save." About 40mil iPhone 6 and 6+s were sold in 2014 Q4, and about 75mil were sold in Q1 2015. If we cut those numbers in half, and multiply by the cost difference, we find that they made $1.8 billion from the quality difference, and that doesn't even include the 6+.
  9. Android also simply has a much larger presence in the world so it comes with many added benefits such as beta's for all sorts of things and wider range of customization. Also I can change the battery in my phone.
  10. I have to wait until next week or so (moose's rules), but my mind is made up.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Thanks to all that helped me go through pros and cons, but I think the Active is the best phone for me =)

Pros:
    -Longer Battery Life
    -Smaller Size (smaller than Galaxy S6 with Lifeproof case)
    -No need for an additional case purchase
    -Same processor/camera as normal S6
    -Waterproof up to 30 mins (family spends a lot of time on the lake)
    -Android (tablet is android too)
    -Able to withstand being in the hands of a klutz (aka me)

Cons:
    -Not as glamorous as S6 or S6 edge
    -No fingerprint reader
    -Plastic-y case instead of glass (actually might be a pro)
  11. Sounds like a great choice! :)

I hope you will have a lot of fun with your new phone, and that it'll last you for a while :)
  12. I am starting a new company.
    Banana inc. is the World's leading company in mobile devices.
    Our phones come in a few different models. You can see one of them below.
    After using the phone, if you have reason to believe that your phone is tapped, you can just go ahead and eat it. It is that simple.
    WARNING: Banana Phone can sometimes be difficult to peel. Eat Responsibly.

jacob5089 and weeh666 like this.
  13. Another thing to take into consideration is the area of service that you will have. I know for a fact (personal experience) that if you use an iphone (can't say about samsung) in an area of low service, the battery will deplete faster than a glass filled with water that is tilted upside down. Even if you are on wifi, unless you enable airplane mode, it will search for a signal that isn't there and drain the battery super fast.
    I probably should have ready all the posts first.