[TECH HELP] What phone should I get?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Krysyy, Jul 8, 2015.

1. I would have, but he didn't give me any warning, it was just "Hey watch this".
  2. Search some drop tests for it online. The s6 is incredibly sturdy.
  3. I did not know that, that's awesome :D
  4. I love my Samsung Galaxy Note 4. It's pretty big, but fits in all my of pockets just fine.
  5. iPhone* :p
  6. There are quite a few people around who have them and I know in the past they were offering to send an invite, this was a while ago so I'm not sure anymore.
  7. Dont get an Iphone, those are for the lemmings. If I have to jail break my phone to make it better it inst very good. Try any of the Galaxy note series or S series. Also anyone rememebr this:

effective.
    Power
    لُلُصّبُلُلصّبُررً ॣ ॣh ॣ ॣ
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  8. It's patched. Only found because more people use iPhones just like the reason Macs don't get viruses.
  9. For all those people trying to back up either iOS or Android, PLEASE stop. This isn't the time or place for that.

Anyways, back in the day :p I had a galaxy s2. Those things are *almost* as sturdy as Nokias... (Considering how many times I threw it across the room after losing a game). Not the most up to date piece of hardware in the world, but I sure loved mine.

Samsung puts a lot of effort into their phones. Personally, I wouldn't go for the S6 edge, the curved screen is a little bit odd... But if that's your thing then go for it. I would probably get an S5, as of now. They feature removable batteries and micro SD cards, which are amazingly handy. I never used the battery, but the micro SD card is useful for transferring stuff back and forth between devices/computers. They are sturdy, waterproofish, and overall a nice phone.

And for all of you saying iPhones are pieces of crap, they aren't that much different than the Samsung Galaxy S6.

If you are going for just about anything, the new Note is nice. However, I have heard of issues where the screen is separating from the back housing.

I personally use an iPhone 6 Plus, and because about 50% of my wardrobe is old navy, my phone fits in my pockets fine. It runs smoothly, fits all my personal requirements, and it syncs with my Mac. I have jail broken mine for the heck of it, not for dissatisfaction of features. Well, that was a lie. I enjoy my game boy emulator but Apple keeps blocking the certificate so I can't open it. That's what I use my jailbreak for.

Anyways, my two cents.
    L3A8, FDNY21 and jkrmnj like this.
  10. I am not entirely sure I understand that sentence. More people don't use Iphones. More people actually use Androids. If you want to learn more about the kill text, check out this article.
    boozle628 and jkjkjk182 like this.
  11. I've always been an Apple fan myself and have owned a couple iPhones. However, when I was due for an update (about a few mths. ago), I was interested in the iPhone 6 Plus, but refused to pay the price. So, during that time, I talked with my Son who had just bought a "One Plus One" (who also was into iPhones), told me he really liked it and that it was actually a little faster than the iPhone 6 Plus for about 1/2 the price. Love the screen size and works great, with no issues! :cool:
  12. I just bought a Galaxy s6 edge and I love it! Highly reccomended!
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  13. Credit where credit is due: Otterbox is insane. I've dropkicked the phone across rooms before to show how well it holds up.

The true test was in late May. I was in a vehicle that T-boned a car that turned out in front of us. The 5S, with the otterbox, was sitting in between the driver and passenger seat being recharged. During the wreck, the phone went flying in the front area of the car, hit everything from my parents to airbags to console/car seats. It eventually wedged itself between the driver seat and the handbrake.

It didn't have a scratch. I won't go anywhere else for phone cases and would strongly recommend you get one krysyy if at all possible. They aren't cheap but they make the need to buy phone insurance completely irrelevant.
    FDNY21 likes this.
  14. Any computer can get viruses.
    jkjkjk182 and PenguinDJ like this.
  15. So I'm going to flip-flop a bit because of the research I've done.

I went to the store to play with the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge. Needless to say, I was not that impressed. It lost battery power and external storage space. It feels like a glass version of my current phone (S4). I don't have the need to jailbreak my phone, so that is a moot point as well.

Due to the outstanding battery life of the iPhone 6, it is on the table for discussion. Moose hasn't charged his in 3 days and it dropped down only about halfway. That's a big deal because that's the issue I seem to have the most issues with (checking EMC all the time drains battery a lot currently) and enough for me to contemplate re-purchasing things I bought in the Play store to be on Apple...I technically have an open Apple account with quite a bit on it due to being a iPhone 4S user in the past.

Apple currently accounts for 50% of the smartphone market for a reason and since I'm not needing much more than Games, Books, Internet, and Making Phone Calls, the battery might be what seals the deal.
    FDNY21 likes this.
  16. It's a war, Android VS Apple... Who will win? GO APPLE!!!!!
    ChickenDice likes this.
  17. To me, it sounds like you don't need all the "omg glorious customization" that non-apple products advertise. I currently use an iPhone 4s. Sure, it doesn't have fantastic features. But I'm not looking for a whole PC in a phone. That's what I have a PC for.

Go with whichever phone suits your book, internet, phone call and battery requirements. With or without the extra fancy features. You can get a great case for any brand or model.

-mostly biased part goes here-
    And for goodness sake, Apple haters.. simplicity is a reliable standard. That's why Apple has been around for so long. Not to mention the technology they have in computers. Have you seen a Macbook Air? Whether you want to believe what the bandwagon has been spoon feeding you or not, they're good. If the designers of that were to try to optimize a PC case with as much apple gear as possible, you'd have one insane supercomputer.
    ChickenDice likes this.
  18. Just wondering, what things did Moose do on his phone in the last 3 days, and how long has he had the screen turned on?
  19. He's constantly checking work emails (at least once an hour), surfing imgur, and making/receiving calls. He can play intensive games like Bad Piggies for more than a couple hours straight (mine lasts an hour tops), though I don't think he's played in the last week.

My Galaxy S4 drops battery charge like a rock if I do any of those things. I've had my phone off the charger for 3 hours this morning and I sent one text and it's already down to 85%. (and yes, I have checked any background processes running)
  20. One note about longevity you may want to keep in mind krysyy. If you go with Apple, you'll be forced into an upgrade within two years whether you like it or not. Their operating system updates will remove support for your device late into that time period.

Don't get me wrong, they're a decent phone. otherwise I wouldn't have tolerated them for 3+ years :p.

However, getting any phone from them is a horrible decision if you intend to run the phone into the ground before replacing it. Instead of upgrading/replacing once every 5-7 years, they'll force you to upgrade 2-3 times during that same period, multiplying the amount of money you put into a phone when you don't have to. Like I said, decent short term phone, horrible long term phone.

If you go with Android, you'll have free updates that are applicable to the phone for life. Eventually it'll get to the point where the phone simply cannot handle the burden of the updates, just like a computer from 2000 can't handle windows 7. The odds of your phone having ran its life before that happens are really good in light of that though.
    Patr1cV and jkjkjk182 like this.