[TECH HELP] What phone should I get?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Krysyy, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Well, iPhones do generally have a much better standby battery life, so that probably explains it.

And indeed, the battery of my old phone (Samsung Galaxy Nexus) is also not usable at all, I could watch maybe 2 hours of YouTube on a single charge, with a very, very low brightness setting :p
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  2. Since you are now considering Apple, here is my recommendation:
    What are you looking for in your phone? Do you care about customization?
    Customization is Android's biggest advantage. You can replace pretty much any software on the phone with some alternative and have it work great. You can change your entire homescreen style (and not just the icons. Look up launchers in the play store) and you can use a totally different lockscreen. You can completely make your Android phone your own and change that whenever you want to. Android also has alternative app stores thanks to the sideloading. Amazon's appstore frequently gives away many paid apps for free and has great deals. This is where Android's slogan in commercials comes from: "be together, not the same". Apple devices are stuck with what Apple gives you. Actually, there are a ton of apps our there that can make your Android phone look like it is running ios. Most features on Apple are usually ported over in the form of apps. Take a look at Airdroid for continuity or an icon pack for consistent icons. Android requires a little more work to set up just right, but it can be more than worth it. With Android you also find the best on paper specs and the most unique hardware designs. Android is more open in what they allow you to do, has more customization, and is more unique than Iphones.

Now for the Apple side. Apple thrives on simplicity. Everything on an Apple product is made to be easy to use and understand. Their design language is also a lot more consistent across apps because they have a higher quality standard to get in the store. When you get an Iphone app, you can be certain it will work on your device and will look like the res of the os. You also get much better updates, even from Google. The Hangouts app, notoriously bad on Android, got the 4.0 update to fix most things while Android users are still waiting. Android updates are iffy and have to go through many steps between Google and you. Carriers often take forever to update and that can be annoying. Apple convinced the carriers to let them update directly and your device will almost always have the latest software. Apple is also more optimized. Sure, there paper specs are usually worse, but the software they put on is so well made that their device will perform just as well as an Android device with higher specs. I would like to point out that Samsung is kind of the Apple of Android whether that is good or bad. With Apple you get simplicity, optimization, and support.

If you prefer Android, what should you get? You have seen the recommendation the OnePlusOne and the s6, but the Lgg4 likely has what you are looking for. With any phone, battery life will slowly wear away and become worse as time goes on. The lgg4 has a removable back and with that comes the ease in which you can change the battery out for a bigger or newer one. Currently, they are running a sale where you get the leather back, an extra battery, and a charging cradle. You can also put an sd card in and expand the storage to accommodate whatever you need.

If you go for Apple than your choice is much more streamlined and simple. Just go for the newest one you can afford.

I have an s6 edge and while I like it a ton, I sometimes think the g4 might be the better phone. As for what you should get, decide which os you prefer and which goes with what you want from you phone and then choose the hardware.

tl;dr: Android = open, customization, and uniqueness. Apple=simplicity, optimization, support. best Android = g4, best Iphone = 6
    boozle628 and TomvanWijnen like this.
  3. The OnePlus One has a very unimpressive camera - and often the main drive away for most people. It's a cheapish phone.

I would suggest the LG G4, Nexus 6, or the Samsung S6 (not edge).
  4. Not true. Apple is still supporting their phones that came out in 2011. They will be at least for another year or so at least, as the OS they are releasing this fall still supports the 4s. That was four and a half years ago.
    FDNY21 likes this.
  5. IMO the camera of my OnePlus One is amazing, especially for the price you pay. Keep in mind that it was released a long time before all the other phones you listed.
    MistyLou likes this.
  6. I agree! I'm fully satisfied with my One Plus One, no complaints or issues whatsoever. The camera works good enough for me, it takes awesome pics and I use it quite often! On the plus side, it's just more reasonably priced and you still get an awesome phone that looks like an iPhone 6 and works just as good. :cool:
  7. I forgot to ask...

Any thoughts on the Samsung Galaxy S6 Active?
    It's available through AT&T and evidently sports a bigger battery.
  8. I have an iPhone 6 plus and I'm pretty happy with it.
  9. I don't mean to call Moose a poor source of information, but he is lol.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/9146/the-samsung-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-review/3
    Anandtech is an unbiased tech site which does ridiculously extensive tests. On constant use of wifi, the S6 had a battery life of 10.4 hours, and the iPhone 6 had a battery life of 11.4 hours. On constant 4G usage, the S6 had 9.7 hours, while the iPhone 6 had 10.4 hours.

While the numbers slightly favor the iPhone, but reality is different. Out of 24 hours in a day, the average person sleeps for 8.75 of them, but we will round that down to 8. The average commute time is roughly .5 hours one way. This gives us 15 hours where there should be no phone usage. The average work period per day is 9.4 hours (47 hours per work week), but we will round that down to 8 hours a day to adjust for breaks. So now we have 7 hours left in the day that you should be able to use your phone. Which means with the S6, you have 2.7 hours to check your email throughout the work day. I am not applying weekends to this since there should be a PC nearby for you to check EMC on, and if there isn't, you will end up having a charger with you for either phone due to their close battery life numbers.

If you are willing to spend money on Apple apps if you had to change, I would assume you would be willing to spend that money either way. If you really wanted to guarantee battery life, you could get a wireless charger for the S6. Have it plugged in near your purse (if you don't use a locker system of some sort), and just lay it down a few times a day. While it may seem like wireless charging is a gimmick, it makes transitions much, much quicker than using a cable.

http://www.greenbot.com/article/294...phone-you-wish-you-had-the-lifestyle-for.html

If you are willing to sacrifice luxury feeling for battery life and ruggedness, you could get the S6 Active. The battery in the S6 Active is 3500mah, and the S6's is 2550mah. Considering that there is little to no difference between the hardware and software, you should be able to adjust the base S6 battery life. 3500/2550*9.7=13.31 4G usage hours, and 14.27 wifi usage hours, more than enough. Unfortunately, it only comes with 32gbs of storage.

I would also like to point out that your 50% number for market share is US only. Worldwide, it is 18.3%. I would say that the main reason that Apple has a significant portion of the market share is due to its locking in practices. If you invest in the iPhone, you have little to no choice in what phone you can upgrade to. When you factor in their other products, the locking in practice becomes even more restrictive due to their unwilling less to let other features that don't make them extra money be used on other platforms. Android is different due to it not being tied to an overall ecosystem, and the fact that there is much more variety in devices. It should also be stated that if you are used to being able to find whatever you want on the Play store, that experience doesn't exist in the Apple system.

This is just my opinion, but I see iPhones and think kid's meals toys. They look cool and fun on the outside, but once you start looking at the inside quality, they are junk compared the competition. It is just embarrassing that the iPhone 6 has a 720p screen in a world where 720p was ousted as the default resolution years ago. iPhones also are some of the cheapest phones to make, but sell for the highest prices. Many would have you believe that that is due to Apple finding fantastic suppliers, but the reality is that Apple and Android phones all use the same suppliers. All that says about Apple is that they are willing to cheap out on quality in order to make the most money. Due to them being the only producer in the iOS ecosystem (obviously), they have no competition. Brands like Samsung and LG are constantly battling each other over quality and feature counts, which is why you see the fastest and strongest phones, with the most new useful features, in the Android market. If you take a look at the features Apple has implemented in the last few years, you will notice that many (but not all) of them are aimed at making interactions between Apple devices better, but not at making their individual products better.

/catches breath
    jacob5089 and L3A8 like this.
  10. They're underpowered, overhyped and overpriced. They also have a terrible design and most people I know hate them >.>

OnePlus One or OnePlus Two. The OnePlus One is £190, which is around $249. The OnePlus Two is going to be $300+, and is slightly smaller, so if you want to wait for that if you decide to buy one...

The OPO has a 48+ hour battery life, too. The OPT apparently lasts longer, but sacrifices a tiny bit of its size :p
    MistyLou, jkjkjk182, L3A8 and 2 others like this.
  11. If she wants a battery that last 10 minutes, a screen that cracks when you tap it, and an operating system that is primarily made for 10 year old girls taking "selfies", then yeah, she should get an iPhone from Apple.
    PenguinDJ likes this.
  12. I've had my iPhone 5 for almost two years and I can confirm that none of these things have ever happened to my phone and I can also confirm that no 10 year old girls have taken selfies with it.

I understand why you want to join the bandwagon and take a dump on the iPhone as well but I've had one and it has been perfectly fine. It does everything every other phone does but just has different specs, and I like mine, simple as that :)

Some iPhones are good for some things, some Android phones are good for some things, both have their pros and cons, so although I like that you are sharing, your claims are not really true :p
    boozle628, Patr1cV and Nccoryg like this.
  13. PenguinDJ, SoulPunisher and Nccoryg like this.
  14. FDNY21 likes this.
  15. I've had an (old) LG, a Sony Xperia and an iPhone and the iPhone is undoubtedly the best of the three but that's just what I've found :) I have a feeling my next venture will take me into OnePlus but at the minute, my iPhone is going strong and even though it's almost been two years, I don't think I'll be replacing for a while! :D
    MistyLou likes this.
  16. I use my Galaxy for games, and my iPhone for social apps etc.
    FDNY21 likes this.
  17. I have been testing quite a few Android Devices lately. I would recommend the OnePlus One, Moto X 2nd gen, the Nexus 6, or the Asus Zenfone 2.
    MistyLou likes this.
  18. The part about the cracking screen isn't close to true. I have drop my iPhone 5s (the newest iPhone 5) with a cheap $20 case and only 1 hardly noticeable crack
  19. I had a Samsung Galaxy Ace for a year and 6 months until I replaced it with an Xperia in May 2014. The Ace is still going strong in the care of my dad (who owns all of my family's hand-me-down phones but only uses one of them :p), while the Xperia had a bit of a spaz on me (nothing to do with me, and I'm being 100% honest. I don't think there's much you might have done when you plug in a phone to charge and it turns itself off and drains its battery) 6 months into its life and I've been phoneless for 7 months now. Currently saving up for a OnePlus One (might get the Two if it's cheap enough), and should have one by September - October provided I don't spend anything :p
    FDNY21 likes this.