[Suggestion] music bot on discord

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by TheFryedmans, Jul 14, 2019.

?

Good idea

This poll will close on Nov 14, 2027 at 1:44 PM.
Oh yes 2 vote(s) 28.6%
yes 1 vote(s) 14.3%
No 4 vote(s) 57.1%
Oh no not another suggestion by thefriedmans 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. (I typed my previous comment in a rush)
    If it would be something people would want to add (I am one of the people who wouldn't use it) Could it also be a good idea to maybe restrict it to one channel or something, so people like me, who have a low tollerance for pop music can make sure there won't be any.
    (I have a low tollarance fow low fequency sound, making me unable to listen to most populair music normally. I know, I'm a mess)
    607 likes this.
  2. Yes, we'd definitely take steps to keep it isolated.
  3. i'd just like to add Rythm has a major bass boost compared to the other bots i've used
  4. it doesn't affect sound quality that much but it is noticeable if you play like hardstyle or dubstep electro music
  5. Why not just use a music app separately such as Spotify?
    Jelle68, ArkonXT and Krysyy like this.
  6. Pleass explain
  7. Why not just use something like spotify to play music for yourself? Discord has an integration for spotify so others can see what you are listening to and can listen with you if everyone has Spotify Premium. It's also more reliable than a music bot
    TomvanWijnen and Smooshed_Potato like this.
  8. I guess the appeal is having other people listen to the music you like.
  9. On discord, there is a feature where others can see what you are listening to, so you can open Spotify (create an account for free) and search the song. If you put the song on a new playlist you don’t even need premium!
    ArkonXT likes this.
  10. I mean guessing by how popular these bots are I’m sure they have this type of stuff figured out so the creators don’t get in trouble
  11. Look this is cool and all and I'm really supportive, but please send me that soundtrack you attempted to listen to, because some of that was 🔥
  12. I said having other people listen to the music you like, not listening to music other people like. ;)
  13. Do you know how popular Popcorn Time is? Or Napster (when it was still its original, illegal service)? How about sites where you can download Pokémon ROMs? These may not be as main-stream as these bots, but these examples should be able to convince you that the popularity of something is no measure for fairness or legitimacy or legality. (Unless one would suggest that that something's popular makes it likely that it's illegal: have as counter examples Netflix and Spotify.)
    Jelle68 and Smooshed_Potato like this.
  14. It goes both ways right? If someone wants others to listen to what they are listening to, you can just have the other person open Spotify and search for the song.
    ArkonXT likes this.

15. i hope i got this right? lol

Using Rythm as an example (one of the most popular music bots), it stays out of trouble because its ToS states that Rythm isn't at fault for any damages caused by its use. So yes, the creators of the bot are safe:

• By the User requesting audio to be streamed from the Services, the User accepts that Rythm will have no liability arising from the User's use of or access to any third-party content, service or website.
    • TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, RYTHM SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, OR ANY LOSS OF PROFITS OR REVENUES, WHETHER INCURRED DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, OR ANY LOSS OF DATA, USE, GOOD-WILL, OR OTHER INTANGIBLE LOSSES, RESULTING FROM (A) YOUR ACCESS TO OR USE OF OR INABILITY TO ACCESS OR USE THE PRODUCTS OR THIRD PARTY SERVICES; (B) ANY CONDUCT OR CONTENT OF ANY THIRD PARTY ON THE PRODUCTS, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY DEFAMATORY, OFFENSIVE OR ILLEGAL CONDUCT OF OTHER USERS OR THIRD PARTIES; OR (C) UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS, USE OR ALTERATION OF YOUR TRANSMISSIONS OR CONTENT.
    Spotify is different because it has permission from the publisher(s) of a song for it to be streamed (example; Whethan's recent singles, such as Superlove are on spotify, but his track GOING UP isn't because he didn't release it on Big Beat or Atlantic like Superlove was; he released it by himself on Soundcloud). You could also say VEVO on Youtube is like this, as the same example also goes for Whethan's official channel and you can only listen to GOING UP on other channels like Wandering Music.
  16. *has not heard of any but nods along*
  17. This sounds like a positive idea, of which I support the positive uses of this idea, but... seeing how the internet is the internet (and seeing that the EMC Discord has more than just EMC players on it), I can see this bot being abused.

If properly moderated (if it's possible to monitor Discord bots remotely to begin with...), I think this would be a nice addition to the server. Otherwise it'll just cause more issues than it'd be worth.

Until someone can tell me if Discord bots can be strictly controlled so this "music bot" cannot be abused, I give this idea a:

+0
  18. Yes it can i think if someone is found out to have broken say a rule with the bot they csn have there perms to play music revoked and its simple to ban them from voice channels i think
    ArkonXT likes this.
  19. the music bots can only be controlled through typing commands, so you wouldn't have to worry about anything bad chat related. as for filtering songs themselves, that's pretty much impossible to moderate with emc's current setup. another reason why i use spotify and not music bots, i don't have to worry about people listening to certain songs i like that aren't appropriate for the server.

cough, how to build a relationship ft. jpegmafia
    607 and Smooshed_Potato like this.
  20. Given the responses a few EMC members have given me (since they are more knowledgeable about Discord bots than I am), I'm changing my support to:

Just use Spotify, Foobar, Winamp, iTunes or whatever...