[Suggestion] EMC Communal Challenges

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by wisepsn, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Bringing this back to the top of the pile! :D
  2. Hehe, yep. Still wish this was a suggestion, would be fun to have challenges ingame with the commands.
    porphos likes this.
  3. Your idea + ideas from this would really help the Empire.
  4. Pl-pl-pl-pl-plus one
    porphos likes this.
  5. New OP and title.
    porphos likes this.
  6. I think it should be semi-automatic. If it is automatic, it should just be like Achievements, the suggestion you suggested. Doing a simple "/challenge add" isn't much of a chore. If it was automatic, members wouldn't know what the prize and challenge is without doing /challenge, which would still be a chore in the first place.
  7. I had no idea you wanted a /challenge add command, when did you bring it up? I think I must have missed it. Oh well.

If it was automatic, how would people know about it? Announcements? If you think about it, it is not that much of a difference if it were automatic or not, because you would still have to get people to know it is there in the first place.

Well, if you want it to be not automatic, there could be a play setting I guess. You can switch it with the following options: [Automatic] [Manual] : Where you have the option to automatically accept it or manually accept the Challenge with /challenge accepted or what you said: /challenge add

Oh and the /challenge command, here you go: New and improved.
    Challenge: Kill Enraged Mobs
    31 out of 50 killed so far for Personal Prize
    709 out of 500 killed so far for Community Prize
    Challenge Ends: 10/6 - New Challenge: 10/7
    Go to http://emc.gs/challenge for more information.

As you see, I put "709 out of 500" to imply that if they community goes over the amount needed, it would not stop but continue and so the community can see how effective they are and realize that they could go higher next time. I have removed the number from the first line as there are 2 prizes.
    The people have a good understand on when the current challenge will end and when the new challenge will begin.
    I would also prefer the prize to be unknown to purely promote more activity. How would a mystery prize promote more activity? Curiosity makes you want to reach the goal to know what it is.
    hashhog3000, 607 and porphos like this.
  8. You just stated in your original quote that people could know about it by doing /challenges..
    If it was automatic, players would have to find out what the new Communal Challenge for the week is, so if the do /challenges, it is basically the same exact thing as semi-automatic, it is just that you have to do /challenges to see the challenge, and /challenge add to opt into the challenge.

Another reason is that if it is automatic, some members may not even know that there is even a challenge, so they may without knowing participate in the challenge and getting the item in /mail, which will only cause confusing and won't make it much of a challenge without people accepting it.

EDIT: If this suggestion goes through, maybe it can be automatic for only the Personal Prize, while the community prize you have to opt in for that as well, so if you opt in and you participate in the event, only the people that opted in(participated) get the reward.

Other than the automatic, I agree with everything you said that can be added onto this suggestion. Would love to get some staff comments on this. :)
    porphos likes this.
  9. Yes, I did say that - partly though. I said that you can find the current challenge(s) in the /challenge command. However, I should have included this apparently, there would have to be adverts that this is going on or whether or not it is manual or automatic, people would still not know if there is even a challenge or not. Both of our opinions on this part would require adverts or it simply would not catch on or work at all. I assumed that you assumed that there would be adverts.
    Let's be honest, people are always happy for a prize. Just like voting, saying the /challenge command would become a routine of sorts. If you want to add /challenge add, people would want a way of automatically accepting a challenge because it is smoother that way. You can just look at the challenge and either go for it or just not participate and not get the loot.
    And still with the manual idea, some people will not even know there is a challenge. Like I said before, there would have to be adverts throughout the Empire for a lot of ideas to work.
    Plz no.
    I feel the same way, but I would still like automation. People love automation.
  10. I am pretty sure adverts do NOT need to be used. They have a total of five days to look at /challenge to see what the new weeks challenge is, and with my idea, friday being the deadline to opt in for the communal challenge. There is no need to spam chat with adverts for every weeks new challenge, they could simply type in "/help" and look for challenges just like any normal command.
    There is a huge flaw of either going for it or not participating and not getting the loot. If a player doesn't even know challenges exist or isn't trying to contribute for the communal challenges, it will be completely inaccurate if there would be a chance for a member to accidentally do one little point towards the challenge, and if the community after the week actually wins the challenge, the inaccurate member will also get the prize, which again, would only cause confusion. The only way I could see this working is if members that have opt'd in a challenge at least once will have a PS to be able to change it to automatic, so these members won't add an inaccurate percent towards the communal contests.
    Look above.
    Don't see the "plz no" about it, it actually can be a balance. For members that actually want to go for the much larger Community prize, they can opt in; for members that don't really care about challenges, they can view the Personal prizes easier and have no penalties.
    I agree as well, but there should at least be a PS for it to be automatic or something, while having it be semi-automatic on default to at least remove some of the inaccurate percents to the communal challenges.

Sorry if I come across as being blunt on these posts, suggestions like this just strengthen the suggestion. Automatic or not, this will still be a great addition towards the empire and user interaction.
    607 likes this.
  11. I am actually enjoying this debate. Keep it blunt!
    Also, I am ending color coding on my part.

Alright, I kind of want to know. Be as blunt as possible.

What do you dislike about the automatic?
    Do not say that people would not know about the challenges because people would not know about the challenges either way if automation is involved or not without advertisements. And people rarely use the /help command.
    607 likes this.
  12. I like the Idea Of Quest/Challenges ... I would be for this ..I love Emc and that will never change but I would love if there were more Group Activities... 1+
    porphos likes this.
  13. Well you kind of went in for my favor by saying people rarely use /help, which is exactly my point. If people never do /help, they don't know about the challenges. This would add inaccurate results to the challenge. Keep in mind that these communal challenges are MEANT to be challenging, and if it was automatic on default for every player, it won't be much of a challenge because players could accidentally do 1% of the challenge without knowing about it, and again, adds confusion if the community challenge has reached its goal. In order for this to be a good challenge, by friday should be the deadline to opt in the challenge, meaning the people that opted in the challenge and participated(if they reach the goal of the challenge) get the prizes because they actually were meaning to participate. If players were reward random prizes for doing a challenge for one day while getting only one item and the challenge just so happenly reaches the goal, its highly inaccurate and abusing the challenges, while the hard working players that actually did a great percentage of the goal just get the same prize as a person who didn't even know of the challenge and got only one item.

Also, even if players did not know of /help, how would they do commands like /vault or /res? :confused: Even if you said it is because of tutorial, there is no way that a normal player will remember all the commands, even including myself. I would love to see an official chart by staff showing that players rarely do /help.

So like I said before, if automation was only allowed for personal prize, I can see this working well, but if is automation for community as well on default, then it would have inaccurate results.
    607 likes this.
  14. Alright, I hate being rude here but your entire first paragraph is 1/2 not helping anything and 1/2 confusing :/

In reply to the red text, people know about those commands thanks to the Wiki and generally asking a butt-load of questions.

In response to the dark-cyan text: What benefits from /challenge add that makes it so great? They would do /challenge add, contribute little to the community goal and get the prize. In automation, it is the same thing but without the /challenge add command. Also, no matte how little they contributed, they still contributed for a greater cause; how does that make it inaccurate?

Also, anybody want to give a 3rd opinion? I have a feeling that we will both die before one of us wins.
  15. And again, people could look at the /challenges commands thanks to the Wiki and asking butt-load of questions. :p

This isn't achievements Sky. I saw your suggestion for achievements, and they are MEANT to be automated. This is weekly communal challenges, which is similar, but not the same. It will be inaccurate results because it wouldn't make it a challenge. This is suppose to be a challenge, and certain people that actually want to go for the challenge should just be able to opt in by Friday certifying that you actually are joining the challenge for the week. Players that do not know about the challenge of the week, or challenges in general should not be giving inaccurate results if the goal is reached. Also if the goal is reached(which you haven't really quoted me on this yet), players that had no intentions will be /mailed with the prize of the week, which will only cause confusion and a free prize for something that is communal challenge. Like I said for the third time, the only way I believe this will work is A: have a /ps to be able to turn this on to automatic, meaning the players actually know about the challenges, or B: only personal prizes are automated while community is not.

Also, you still haven't explained why plan B is bad? It actually makes tons of sense. Even if players don't know about a challenge and accidentally do it, it only goes for the personal prize, which I am guessing will have a less worth than the communal prize. If communal was also automated at default, then players would also accidentally count for that, removing its challenge and just making it easy for the whole community to get free prizes, which isn't even the idea of what my suggestion was.

If doing /challenges add is SUCH a chore to do for one second in one week, then I do not know what to even say. Having /challenges add just sound more efficient and effective towards the communal community challenges.
    607 likes this.
  16. My idea:
    • It can be accessed by the Empire Navigator and by commands.
    • It can be made automatic in player settings (not community)
    • Community challenges have separate prize tiers to make things less confusing
    • Items for completing the achievements/challenges are sent by mail (players will be reminded that their prize is in the mail)
    Possible: Item that opens quest menu GUI
  17. Bump for the Icar.