[Suggestion] Buildmode alterations

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by bitemenow15, Mar 5, 2018.

1. How many times has this happened to you:
    you are building something big out in the wild with buildmode on, you go back to town to get supplies and come back to your build and carry on as normal. about 10+ minutes in you realise you havent seen the warning Warning: Buildmode is ACTIVE. turns out you forgot to turn it back on after you got back in the wild and all that work isnt protected.

happens to me alot.
    so some possible solutions to this:

1: Keep the warning on as long as buildmode is on, and have the ability to disable the warning if you know its on. this would solve both problems of the warning being annoying and blocking your view or you forgetting if its on.

2: Have the ability to persist buildmode for a time period ex: buildmode is active in the wild for 2 hours, once that 2 hours is up you have another warning telling you to refresh it. this would circumvent going back into town or going offline it would stay up for that whole time period.

ideas? thots?
  2. Both ideas would be great. Maybe even a warning like 'Hey you switched smps/went to town with buildmode on. Turn it back on!' or something like that.
  3. I've likewise been thinking about this. I had Staff review one of my small builds in the Frontier just because of my oversight in turning Buildmode back on after coming back from Town or the Waste. The solution I thought of was not to add another warning or persistence, but to add a buildmode option to verify a selected area or blocks for their level of protection.

If I could somehow verify a block was placed in Buildmode would be the best way in my opinion.

In a Persistent Buildmode scenario, people will be adding protected blocks to the world when they don't want to. Probably not a scenario that is wanted which is probably why Buildmode isn't on all the time. Just a guess. It's better to error on the individual suffering for their mistake in not protecting their blocks than having all players suffer buy having unwanted protected blocks lingering in places they shouldn't be . . . followed up with multiple requests to staff to remove such errant blocks. That would be quite the bother.

Just my opinion
    -BZ-
  4. I really like this idea! I'm part of an outpost, so I have buildmode on a lot and this happens all the time. It would be nice to have something like this!
  5. there shouldnt be errant blocks? the persistant one would have a time limit and the other idea just leaves the notification on that you turned buildmode on? you would still have to enable buildmode in the first place, which most noobs dont know about and any griefers that do already have that problem??
  6. . . . So, here's something else I thought of. This really should do the trick. Keep in mind the current standard use of 'Buildmode' would remain as is.

Like I wrote earlier, "A Buildmode option to verify a selected area".

Well, in Town we can select an area in our residences to make a Subzone by selecting Point 1 and Point 2 of a desired Cuboid area, much like the way WorldEdit works. That same method may be able to be used to select a Cuboid as a Buildzone. That 'Buildzone' would have a maximum size of course. Meaning that should a build be larger than the maximum Buildzone area, the Buildzone would need to be removed and reestablished to allow for continued Buildmode building or simply make sure your Buildmode is on when outside of the Buildzone

Once a 'Buildzone' is established, Buildmode would be automatically turned on when entering the Buildzone. When exiting the Buildzone the previous setting for Buildmode would be restored, so if Buildmode was off prior to entering the Buildzone, it would turn off when exiting. There would be an on screen message indicating when a person enters and exits a Buildzone and the periodic Warning message indicating Buildmode is on would continue but would indicate you are in a Buildzone instead and reflect the owner of the Buildzone. If wanted, other players would also fall under the effects of the Buildzone, however, any blocks placed by an authorized person would be placed with the owner of that block being the person who established the Buildzone. As an option a Buildzone could be restricted so as to disallow all block placement except when placed by an authorized person.

Just popped in my head. I'm sure this idea could be expanded upon.

-BZ-
    HazardousCode and NuclearBobomb like this.
  7. It has also happened to me one time when building a railroad but I'm not too sure I'm in favor of a persistent mode because the risk for accidents could definitely grow. As much as I love buildmode (basically: the concept of claiming builds / blocks vs. claiming land) it's also fair to say that it has a few drawbacks.

Even so, do keep the list of protected blocks in mind. If you were building using crafted blocks then those would most likely have been automatically protected.

To be honest I'm not too sure if a permanent warning would work. I mean... wouldn't that also become quite easy to overlook once you get more used to it?

Thing is.. there will always come a time when you shouldn't fully rely on automated mechanics but instead need to keep some things in mind for yourself. One way or the other such issues are also part of the game.

So... a +0 from me.
    Bravo_Zulu and 607 like this.
  8. i think there should be a floating message somewhere on the screen while its on.
  9. it wouldnt become more easy....because i could actually just turn my eyes to a corner of my screen and be like oh it (is/isnt) on unlike now where i have to wait for the thing to pop up randomly or type /buildmode to turn it off then on again. this isnt about relying on automated systems this is taking the existing game mechanics and saying if we could toggle being able to permanently see if we have buildmode on it would make things for people who sit down to build things for 10+ hours easier. i usually turn it on when i log on but random lag spikes or system restarts make me forget to do that so then i continue working until i notice i havent seen the notification pop up in a while.
  10. An idea like this I would love to see +1
  11. Oh yeah, buildmode exists.
  12. Why try to make it so complicated, the ONLY solution I think that makes sense is to have a notification in small (Maybe even semitransparent) letters "Buildmode on" just above the Experience / Tool Bar area so when it is disabled the words are gone. This would be simple and functional without any elaborate cryptic functions.
  13. HAHHAHHA love the dancing SkeletTins
    SkeleTin007 likes this.
  14. OH YA BTW, Conserning "BLUILDMODE" What to do about other player's protected blocks placed on your builds or left by players long gone that you do not have permission to remove. I really don't think the staff is going to run around removing these blocks.
    Example I had a number old 9 year olds running around my area putting blocks down any old place and they half built structures and then left never to return (over a year now) leaving their mess behind which I can not remove or adjust. There should be a way to send a request to EMC for the removal of these abandoned blocks and incomplete structures.
    ANY IDEAS ABOUT This growing Problem?
  15. If you require blocks removed on your build, you already contact a Mod to do so. Its been like that since day 1.
  16. yeah you just message mods and they remove perms if its an established outpost or a clearly owned build
  17. Bumping this cause, YET AGAIN i just built a bunch and its all dirt and i have no idea what is and isnt protected.

why is it so hard to persist the buildmode message so we can always look on our screen and see if its on? this needs to be done or the senior staff service to come out and protect blocks needs to be free and readily available otherwise for any natural build build mode is essentially useless and thats not play your way.