SUGGESTION: Afk allowance (or rule clarification) [CLOSED]

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Imortal01, May 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So, what we're basically saying here is if Simon says "jump" you jump and if Simon says "sneak" you sneak. If you fail to do what Simon says, you get kicked.

Hahaha!
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  2. Yes or at least according to this
    5. Listen To and Obey The Staff

• Listen to the staff members. They are there to help you and will not ask you to do unreasonable things. If you do have an issue with a certain staff member, do not use the /report feature; instead, contact the Community Manager via an email tocm@empireminecraft.com.
  3. i mean its just a kick, if you arent afk clicking then it shouldnt be an issue cause you can jump right back on when you notice
    Dramanya and melk73 like this.
  4. They just started manually kicking afkers for fun on utopia this weekend. Not the auto kick.
  5. false, when i was staff i would go around utopia enforcing this rule when i had spare time (so like twice) this isnt the first time and it wont be the last.
    B4DMAN5IMON likes this.
  6. I usually go afk for several minutes at a time. I get afk-kicked sometimes; my alts get afk-kicked even more. When I used to leave my computer on and farm, I would get kicked due to a very small connection error. The point is I've never been asked to check in or something like that by a staff member. ;)
  7. First if you have an issue with Simons or any mods actions please feel free to pm kryss or even email at cm.empireminecraft.com

Second I asked her about this myself in a pm before I was green her answer is thus

8. i really dont understand you guy's reasoning tbh. the rule has been there like that for about a year now. if you have been flying for a year and werent caught then today got banned would you all have the same argument? because thats basically what this whole thread is.

although i do think the afk timer should be longer for utopia (which it may well be but i dont afk so idk)
  9. People are upset cause they would have to work harder for items instead of just collecting them for nothing.

I have afked for hours in the past. If I was kicked so be it. I logged back in when I noticed and went about my life.
  10. I used to afk before I made staff and all I would do is listen for the ding you get when someone spells out your name. All you have to do then is just open your game and respond and then you are good to go. You can also use /away [message] and that can give you a small window of protection from the rule enforcement. You will still need to respond so if you are going to go take a bath or eat dinner or something like that then just log off. Then nothing to worry about. What I used to do.
    fishmeal likes this.
  11. My personal take is this:
    I have not seen manual AFK kicks since I started EMC. Since this has not been enforced in a while, it would be nice to have a statement about it. Like Kryss's comment for example.

It would also be nice to know it was being enforced evenly over all the servers. It would even make me personally feel better if there was a benefit of it, such as keeping the numbers down on normal smps so that people can still log on. Doing it a few times a day only on utopia just feels like there is something supporters in particular are doing wrong and that there is now a new change in attitude towards people that really do support the game.

Of course none of this is outside the rules. Mods can really do whatever they see fit to keep the game good for everyone. I'm glad for this, it's part of what keeps EMC great. It's just nice to have some other visibility and comments on the new situation we're experiencing (new for me, not for you old timers :).
    MrsWishes, ShelLuser and Ethanj1212 like this.
  12. 3 times manually kicked on utopia today alone. The simple fact is, I like to build giant Redstone mechanisms, and I enjoy seeing the results. The reason l the farms are on utopia is so they don't interfere with other players. If we are to be reduced to dig holes in the ground as the only way to earn rupees, then I'd rather go do something else. Anyone who has ever built something as large as the gold or mob farms I use would be quite offended if I told them they were getting those drops for nothing.
  13. I would really highly recommend against kicking above the normal afk timer. At least discus a bit more with supporters first. I care about this server. Keeping supporters supporting makes it possible for everyone.

For people like me that are capable and enjoy building large farms, the increased afk time on utopia makes the subscription valuable. Building and using farms is how I enjoy my time in Minecraft. I don't make fun of people for making a hotel or manually selling blocks of wood to customers. I think it's pretty uncool to see the earlier posts that make fun of how I play minecraft. This is a server where you can "Play Your Way" and I love that about it.

There may be many supports like me that would not see the value in Utopia or a Supporter rank without increased afk time being available on this server. I still may do it because I like EMC, but if they actively fight against my personal playstyle though it may change things.
    markethan13 likes this.
  14. Since when is it a bad thing that we go hunting for rule breakers? Just because a rule isn't enforced 24/7 doesn't mean we shouldn't enforce it.

It all relies on if the staff has time to do it.

We also have tools that let us go witch hunt hackers, and have done so for years... No-one (but the hackers, and friends of PTH) complained about that.

The rule specifically states you MAY NOT use auto clickers if you are AFK.

You can AFK at farms that don't require clicking,but if you are afk at a farm that you are kicking, that is an unfair advantage as you have to use a mod in order to do that, enabling you to farm 24/7 which is unrealistic to any human potential.

For "just stand there" farms, anyone can do that without mods... But if your at a click based farm, and your using a clicking mod to help reduce strain on your hand, you better be able to respond.

This isn't really about AFK'ing, its about using mods in an illegal fashion, which usually results in permanent ban... So it being a kick only is EXTREMELY lenient.
  15. Correct me if I'm wrong: the way I read it people got kicked for not responding within 5 min. So basically for being AFK. Not for using clickers or not.

If that were to happen to me I'd also be a little upset.
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  16. Simon confirmed he only kicked people who were clicking.
  17. Then I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification.
    boozle628 likes this.
  18. Agreed kevmeup:) I have happily supported emc for 12 months. I built my outpost there specifically for that reason, and the privacy of it. I do not mind the auto kick function, I think that's a wonderful idea. But in my opinion, if I can't do the things on emc that I enjoy doing, maybe I should consider canceling the subscription. And I know I broke the rules, but that is the point of this post, right? To discuss the suggested rule change. And if you think I am getting items for nothing, you have obviously never built a quality mob farm. It's a work of art, every bit as creative as anything done in town. I would say I spent a month of 4 to 6 hour evenings building it, so to say I have an unfair advantage would be insulting. I agree, my farm does give me an advantage, but one I worked my butt off for. And paying for supportership also gives us an "unfair" advantage, so what is the difference here? Why not let the people who support this server afk on the supporter server when there is plenty of room for them?
    SkareCboi and kevmeup like this.
  19. That is not true, I wasn't clicking, and got kicked 3 times in 18 hours
    SkareCboi, cadgamer101 and Gawadrolt like this.
  20. The kicking I witnessed on utopia did not appear to have anything to do with checking for illegal mods or click afking it was purely to stop general afking.

I think it's an excellent idea to crack down on illegal AFKing (on all servers). Unfortunately a general role call in /c t will not cover that to my knowledge. I'm 90% sure that you actually have to see what a person is doing to tell if they were circumventing the afk system. I personally mentioned that one of the people had town chat off, he was still kicked, and then logged on not too long after.

I can also confirm 100% that when I was kicked by simon I was on top of my chicken farm on my res and had nothing to click on. It sounds like you're handling this issue internally and it was just a couple overzealous actions than a new policy.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.