SUGGESTION: Afk allowance (or rule clarification) [CLOSED]

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by Imortal01, May 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I can answer that I think, also because I'm quite sure Simon isn't online for 18 hours.

First of all: I don't know Simon up close and personal but I do know one thing: he wouldn't lie about this, nor would Aikar. Just saying.

EDIT: And this is where I'm pulling out because kevmeup got the same kind of trust from me. If he says he wasn't using auto-clickers.. Sorry, no offense.. but.. yah.

Rest of comment deleted: I am pulling out because I cannot fairly comment (I wasn't there).
    boozle628, markethan13 and kevmeup like this.
  2. I don't have a clicking mod, I was standing at a mob farm not moving. So that is ok? I won't get kicked again for " stand there farms"? Because your welcome to come out and inspect everything of mine, and there's nothing here I need an auto clicker for. I simply stand there and let mobs fall to their deaths.
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  3. I am playing pure vanilla 1.8.4 standing in one spot. I did NOT click anything, or have a need to. I was kicked for " standing in one spot" 3 times in 18 hours, and would rather it didn't happen anymore, especially since Aikar says that isn't illegal.
    cadgamer101 and Gawadrolt like this.
  4. Or at work? Or If I'm working outside and in and out of the house every 20 minutes or so, (that was the case yesterday when this happened)? According to Aikar that isn't against the rules, But Effinbatman's post quoted Kryssy saying it was not reccomended. Either way, As I stated in the op, how about a rule clarification in the wiki, so we don't have to cross this bridge again:)
    Gawadrolt likes this.
  5. I don't see what needs clarifying? If you can't respond within 5 minutes of a staff member /telling you, you're considered too AFK to use an auto-clicker. Seems pretty simple to me.
    ShelLuser, jkjkjk182 and RainbowChin like this.
  6. If I'm afk I'm usually asleep or smoking a cig(the latter usually not taking more than 5 minutes but if I come back and have DCed it usually isn't a big deal as I'm probably in an AFK hole)

I can understand both sides of this argument. 5 minutes to respond to staff seems reasonable enough to me. a blanket town chat role call seems more like military circus games though. As far as being upset that you were kicked for being afk, I don't understand the problem.

You weren't actively doing... ANYTHING within EMC to get whatever it was you were trying to get... so why all the tears? Just come back, log back on and hang out in t/s chat or on mumble, browse youtube and alt/tab every once in a while. If you aren't at your computer and you are upset that you got kicked for being afk... I'm sorry but I can't really sympathize.

Almost any game with any kind of playerbase has an afk kick timer. EMC doesn't really, only certain situations trigger that. If for a year you afked and got something for nothing, just be grateful. As far as the mob drops, see above.

I don't like rules, rules suck, no matter what any of you think I should think. This though, this seems really silly. Just log back in. If you have to log in 3 times in 18 hours... come on now does that even warrant mentioning?
    ShelLuser likes this.
  7. I can 100% guarantee that Simon kicked people who were NOT using any auto-clicker.

And EMC will be losing good long term supporters and voters because of this unreasonably strict anti-AFK policy.
    Staff clarified, and I have calmed down and will continue to support EMC.
    edited by request of cadgamer101
    SkareCboi likes this.
  8. Another thing to note here: Simon plays when most of the US player base is asleep. He could very well have just been saying good night. XD
  9. I have a few thoughts on this:

If the server is not full, and I am not autoclicking but just standing on my res waiting for horses to refresh and reading the forums, I don't understand why I should be kicked if I don't hear a pm ding and respond. I am not gaining anything but refresh time on my horses. I am not using too much of the server resources because the utopia server is not over full. Sometimes, I like to turn chat off and put dnd on while I am breeding. In that case, I would not know about the role call or get an AFK test pm.

I understand searching for people breaking the rules, but if the role calls are only occurring on Utopia, I am uncomfortable with that. I am also uncomfortable with AFK (not clicking) being targeted. I completely agree with AFK autoclicking being against the rules. If being AFK for more than five minutes is against the rules, why do we have away messages?

If this is really necessary, I guess I'll get used to it. Until then, it will make me feel a bit grumpy.
    VoxelRay and markethan13 like this.
  10. AFK is trigger way to fast !.
    I have seen it appears that while im waiting for daylight i go do something else on my pc.
    And when it's daylight it seems i where already in AFK mode. auto kick when server is full is not bad.

But adjust the AFK in a way that it only triggers after 1 night cycle + a bit day.
  11. Hopefully this will be my last post in this thread. While I love a good debate, sometimes it seems we are talking in circles and seem to get stuck there. So If you'd hear me one last time, I'll suggest a few ideas.

First of all I would suggest that we all get 1 meaning for the word "AFK" It means away from keyboard. So obviously if someone tries to contact me, I will not answer. AFK does not mean I'm in front of the keyboard, but I choose not to respond. If I am afk, then by definition I am going unresponsive for more than 5 minutes. Anyone using mumble knows afk does not mean "II'll be right back".
    Secondly, a rule edit needs to happen based on the first suggestion. Why not have staff define or inspect afk farms prior to approval, like a parkour. If my cane farm laggs EMC's equipment to the point it becomes a problem, I don't want it either! If this rule was in place, staff could work with us to find the best server to put it on, away from other res' s or somewhere it would be less laggy for others.
    I also think staff should be required to teleport to a player who is unresponsive and screen shot the activity they see happening there before any action is taken. This would stop auto clicking permanently, and protect people who are legally AFK'ing from unnecessary kicks or bans. Us " stand there farmers" wouldn't need to worry about punishment for something we didn't do. And my final suggestion is this: If EMC is against any afk farming (the longer than 5 minutes kind) why not write some code to auto kick people after a set amount of time? I don't want this option, and from THE BOSS' S post earlier, I don't think he does either. I feel if that were the case, the farms would drastically increase in size to account for less afk time, which would make things even more laggy. So here are my thoughts, hope you read them over and try not to be too harsh:)
    ThaKloned likes this.
  12. we are working on revising these style of kicks to ensure its only people breaking the "no mod use while afk" rule.

To clarify - you're only allowed to use mods to do the farming for you while you are still at your PC or right by it (ie: watching TV) and you can see/hear when you receive a message.

It's viewed as "something you could of reasonably done yourself, but your using a mod to help reduce strain on yourself".

The KEY factor is to not do it when AFK!

The only AFK farming allowed are the ones that don't require human input - where you can just leave your PC there doing nothing, and that's only if you don't try to circumvent the AFK system, so that if the server does get full you can get kicked (which yeah doesn't happen on Utopia)

If you are following those rules, there shouldn't be any more issues going forward.
  13. Thanks for the clarity on that issue, and HOPEFULLY your day can be a bit more peaceful now:)
    MrsWishes likes this.
  14. I have a simple question. What if you are not afk, but have chat turned off? How are you supposed to reply? When you get a message, the sender will see "That player has chat turned off", so you might not be taken for afk, Likewise, If you are afk, but you turn chat off, the "Chat off" message would display instead of "that player is away". I think there are too many possibilities here to make a definite exclusionary rule.

EDIT: Sorry, missed a few posts.
  15. If I understand it correctly, if you are using a mod to autoclick at a farm, you are required to be able to respond to pm's from staff. If you are not autoclicking, you are allowed to be afk and not respond.
  16. This does not explain why people are bieng kicked for general afking.
  17. If the server is full or experiencing lag, those that are idle are kicked.
  18. Aikar previously said he solved the problem. A few of the staff I spoke with were of the understanding that general afking was illegal. Aikar posted the last statement to clear up any confusion and corrected any misunderstandings:)
    MrsWishes likes this.
  19. (going to be posted in the May Newsletter, but I'll post here too)

The staff have received multiple complaints from players that some people (expecially on utopia) are utilizing autoclickers and afk-circumvention macros when they are nowhere near their computers to farm for items/experience. Farming utilizing an auto-clicker is ONLY allowed if the autoclicker does not exceed normal clicking/play ability AND you are present behind the computer (or very close by). Basically it's a way to save your poor hands from cramps etc while furiously clicking.

That being said, the use of auto-clickers, macros, etc that allow you to interact with the Minecraft universe and bypass our auto-afk system are not allowed if you are not present. If you are moving around and clicking/fighting things, you need to be behind the computer screen or very close by and awake. A staff member should send you 2 test messages roughly 5 minutes apart (they are getting a reminder about this too). Leaving your computer running overnight when you are sleeping, but your player continues to move around, is NOT allowed. This is AFK circumvention and is punishable by a kick from the game, even if the server is not full. Extensive abuse of macros and auto-clicker mods falls under illegal mods and can earn you a ban. This is not the first time someone has been kicked for this and it likely won't be the last.
  20. I REALLY don't want this to turn into a debate krysyyj, but out of all the people kicked multiple times, may I ask if they were found using autockickers? And doesn't staff have the ability to tp to a player to prove guilt before punishment? Because I assure you, I was kicked multiple times for standing in the same spot without doing anything. I can send screen shots of my farm if you like:)
    Gawadrolt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.