[Suggestion] Add mountains/rivers/scenery at the edges of town

Discussion in 'The Suggestion Box' started by Eclipsys, Jan 21, 2022.

?

What do you think of this idea?

+1 I want this! 30 vote(s) 83.3%
-/- I want this, but... 4 vote(s) 11.1%
-1 I don't want this. 2 vote(s) 5.6%
  1. Greetings all,

A friend of mine had a good idea that I thought really deserves mentioning!

The idea is simple; add scenery/mountains to the edge of SMP Towns.

What?
    Add outskirts to the SMP towns. The outskirts can be in any shape or form. A good example are the mountains at the edges of EMC's christmas maps.

Add trees, mountains, rivers. Anything really.

Why?
    Give the edge residences something to look out on. Make them more appealing.

Currently all residences at the edge look out over the great nothingness. People generally aim for special residence numbers or locations around well-known residences on the servers. The edges are less appealing (in my opinion) apart from the fact that they offer a place to build with one or multiple sides being always open.

How?
    The EMC Build Team could build these outskirts. Perhaps we could launch a contest so that the community has a say in what should be seen from the edges.

What do you think?
    We3_MPO, khixan, tamraaa and 9 others like this.
  2. What about an endless ocean that way town could technically be an island with an ocean on all sides..
  3. I'm an edge resident and lately I've been feeling odd about all of the emptyness around me. A hilly tree filled scenery would liven the area up.
    Nickblockmaster, 607 and Eclipsys like this.
  4. What if the outskirts were filled with clouds above ground level... like an endless fog...
  5. That might give a feeling similar to the void in the end. A sense of doom and gloom worse than just being flat grass.
    Nickblockmaster, 607 and Eclipsys like this.
  6. We can also diversify all SMP towns. SMP1; mountain range, SMP2; ocean, SMP3; jungle etc?

Haha indeed, we need to!

Zombie/mob spawns included?

Haha we should also add EMC Temples or something at the edge!
    We3_MPO, khixan, ThaKloned and 3 others like this.
  7. I mean, sure :p

Some basic terrain with Gaea / Worldpainter isn't at all that much work, for those wondering. It would probably be one or two afternoons, if you have all the tools set up. :p

Sounds like a great way to make town feel more... placed. I would say, though, it also kind of feels like it would make EMC more like other servers, though I do not know if that is just me :p
  8. I would love to have 1 of the build teams designs around my SMP. Question is would they have time for it? Who would build it? That is a pretty big project for all the SMPS but I'm willing to bet we could find the right people willing to take on a job like that.

Thought - Would it cause confusion to new players thinking they could venture out there since we can travel quite a few block into it?
    Answer - I think a simple red message alert would be enough. Possibly a Big message like server restart gets, only saying "Go Back" "Turn Around" "No Building" ETC. You could still keep the the auto TP back to town where it is.

Sounds like an AWESOME IDEA!
  9. I think thats easily fixed with an invisible wall :D
  10. Nah, every server is unique in a way.

I'm sure the EMC BT can give a proper EMC twist to it
  11. Hm, interesting discussion! I wouldn't mind it, personally. Maybe give a message in chat that if people want to explore exciting terrain, they should head to the waste or frontier. ;)
    We3_MPO, khixan and Eclipsys like this.
  12. That's also a good one yea!

Or maybe implement an automatic teleport to the frontier haha

That way when people walk out they get automatically teleported there and it would 'connect' town and frontier better. Though it'd be a one-way connection haha
    We3_MPO and Nickblockmaster like this.
  13. Maybe send em to the waste. Back to the point of people always encouraging new players to go to the frontier when they're then told, Don't mine out there. Watch where you build. While they can't find much and complain in chat. I'm for this idea but encourage waste over frontier.

I think before we worry about tping from there lets focus on who's gonna build all these? What are the build parameters? How far back does one build? How do we go through the process to make this happen? Etc. Not getting the cart before the horse.

Edit in... What happens to this build if the SMP's have to expand like they have in the past?
    We3_MPO, khixan, Fred_TWK and 2 others like this.
  14. Hmmm yea good one!

Just move and expand if town expands. Should be an easy fix!
    We3_MPO and 607 like this.
  15. They have? When?
  16. Been an edge resident since my very first day. The emptiness has always been unsettling.
  17. But not right along the road, please. There are times I venture out on the flat grass to see how my res looks from that side.
    We3_MPO, 607, Nickblockmaster and 2 others like this.
  18. Nah, like 10 or 20 blocks in!
  19. Way back in 2012 haha

After that it didn't happen again
    Merek_Shadower likes this.
  20. March 2015