(Suggesstion) Remove emc tutorial {Cringe warning} (DENIED)

Discussion in 'The Suggestion Box' started by aletrisrex, Jun 6, 2022.

1. It used to be you could just look in the player guide for the answers because you would immediately be given one upon first signing in to the server. Has this changed?
  2. TBH I don't vote because I earn more through trades and shops. Ofc, not everyone can do this because not every shop offers selling privileges. I would like to see more than vote banners for long time voting. That's the other reason I quit. Don't really care about banners XD
    Torian42 and KatydidBuild like this.
  3. This pretty much sums up what I would say on the situation - having no tutorial / way for members to learn rules in order to slightly improve retention would largely welcome the wrong audience.

I think in terms of improving - it might be better to show more about what EMC is before the user is introduced into the tutorial - whether thats users being able to see some builds before they walk into the tutorial, or users can walk around without having any perms, and to build they need to complete /tutorial might be more beneficial - I think with the way we put words on screen like using locks in wilderness or giving someone admin perms, we can spawn users into the world without block break perms or claim perms, and an occasional message flashes saying to use /tutorial to gain access to the server, THEN the user goes through the tutorial - pretty much giving the user a preview of the server and what waits for them before they are in.
    KatydidBuild and VoidDistortion like this.
  4. The same applies to question 2, I would say. ;) (although I'm frankly not sure what you mean)
  5. Woah... I don't remember that being there earlier.... Would be a horrible addition.
    VoidDistortion likes this.
  6. I support your idea of an in-depth option, but how about an easier approach?
    Just the rupees. They can walk around and look at some amazing build to their hearts content and if they click each of (?maybe) 5 buttons/items from questions they get another 1k rupee bonus for each. Doubling the initial login balance. (I believe)

The build could be on a res or tutorial town. Demos of the LOCK sign for the Frontier Wild, survival travel only past the stairs!, commands to visit places not to tp to players, the overhead view of a mock waste with the 9 spawns shown. Stuff that is always asked about in the first hour. And they should be able to go visit this Library of Knowledge whenever they want to. Rupees only given once, ofc. Some players may take to it right away, others may look around first. Depends on what they need.
    607 likes this.
  7. Ironically we had something similar to this, minus the rupees. I had to complete a tutorial that you explored a small environment that had examples of the specialty monsters, tips and tricks, and you got the assistant and rule book right away.
    KatydidBuild likes this.
  8. Another thought would be a temporary "mini server" called tutorial server that is generated for each new player. Once the new player finishes the tutorial, they can have the choice of going directly to the regular emc servers (in which the temp world would not generate) or go to the temp world. Its size would be one town plot of 60 x 60. This plot will have sample sell and buy chests as well as access to one page of vault for no cost. It would also include a subsection of wild, waste, and nether wild & waste. It would be enough to "practice" on. Once the new player is accustomed to the world, they would type /done in chat and it will take them to the actual servers. Once they do that the "tutorial world" would vanish. They will not have access to the regular smp until then. After typing /done, they can have the option of taking their town build with them to the actual smp they are assigned to or start fresh.

I foresee one downside of this. This would eat up memory on the actual servers when creating these mini worlds.
  9. When was this? What happened to it?
  10. That tutorial was being used when I joined in 2015. If I recall correctly, one of the main complaints about it was that it was too long. Although it was enjoyable, it took me about an hour to complete. That version was replaced by the one that is in place currently, which is considerably shorter.
  11. I remember that tutorial, that and the amazing attention to detail on the wastelands bit! :D
    607 and Zomberina like this.
  12. I just went through the tutorial to see what the fuss was about. I followed the on-line player guide and found the following that might be an issue for others.

1) The signs use red text. I have a difficult time reading red text so it took me a while to figure out what the sign message was.
    2) All questions used wording that could be used to easily locate the relevant section in the guide except for the how do you transfer items between smps question. The sign should probably use server in place of smps but there isn't enough room on the sign for that. I checked the guide and it doesn't make the direct connection between 'server' and 'smp'. In the In-game Servers section of the guide where smp is first used it is defined as "/smp# - For example, /smp4 would take you to SMP4.". It might make a difference to someone if it read, "/smp# - For example, /smp4 would take you to server #4". Further down the page in the Vault section the word server is used with no connection to SMP. Maybe "On each server you will have a separate inventory." should read "On each server (SMP's) you will have a separate inventory."

The guide is well done and easy to follow and the short maze to the Correct sign added a little fun.
    607, Joy_the_Miner, Burki and 4 others like this.
  13. It was quite long, though you could rush it. I know I did XD But, i feel like the current tutorial is not really interactive, and maybe just have the maze still, but have a gallery you can walk through and see the cool things. Like the marlix floating behind glass again XD
  14. Well my suggestion was expanding on Astromanth's as not a replacement for the current maze tutorial, but as more of an additional information offering when they were ready for it. And an hour sounds a little intense. I was thinking 10-15 minutes 😋
  15. My thinking was also not replacing it. My thought was expanding it with additional benefits for taking the longer route.
  16. the longer, the lesser chance for new ppl to join emc
    yea.. it's like maze and for me, it's okay. but not other ppl, that's i talking about.
  17. In regards to the suggestion. The tutorial will not be removed. The suggestion itself is Denied.
    Reviewing the current iteration of the tutorial - I think there are some very real improvements we can make to it. I have tasked a couple people with making some notes on the topic. I will leave this thread open a while longer if anyone wishes to give general thoughts about what things you expect to be prioritized in telling new players.
  18. Great feedback. :D

I foresee a much more significant downside of it. ;) There will be plenty of people that don't realise they are in a temporary world, and will be rather discontented upon discovering it (or leave before figuring it out...).
  19. The biggest thing new players need to understand is 3 worlds.
    1. Town, yes "plots" but not creative - this seems to be something that they expect both to co-exist. So we are a little confusing

2. Resource World - as the Waste is known everywhere else. Easy enough.

3. Wild Frontier - never resets and no stealing/co-opting other player 'bases' is not put to new players strongly enough.

*Other servers use the word 'wilderness' and we don't /but we do on live map. Survival travel from the white steps on isn't stuck in their head either, perhaps the new waste spawn design will help with this.

I have said it before, but the whole thing about players build an outpost/ go back to an outpost to teleport / which wilderness is the waste / go to wild east / setting home spawn / 9 spawn outposts to choose from.
    If the names didn't have double meaning or everyone used them the same way, that might help a little.
  20. as Katy said.
    Add to this the need to reinforce the notion of 9 (or 10 with Utopia) different sets of these three linked worlds.
    607 likes this.