(Suggesstion) Remove emc tutorial {Cringe warning} (DENIED)

Discussion in 'The Suggestion Box' started by aletrisrex, Jun 6, 2022.

1. Remove tutorial, as title said.
    We know tutorial? basically it hints you how you play emc. that's bit easy.
    But most ppl joined emc (aka new ones) immdealy disconnect when play emc server and hit by emc tutorial. They did not want that. What they want is instant gameplay without tutorial.

According to this data pool:
    82% players leave when see tutorial
    13% are players completed tutorial but they either left emc after couple of weeks (or shorter).
    5% player are play emc regularity (aka dedicated peeps)

Basically, emc tutoral is like barricade for new ppl joined emc, and they does not want these... So they just left, leaving emc with dozen of new member but they left.
    607 likes this.
  2. You know you're going to have to show your sources for the data pool. I'm fine if peeps can't take 5 seconds to pull up the rules really quick and opt to leave. We have enough issues with folks who do finish or have other players give them the answers and then come in and start nothing but trouble. I do wish the tutorial was more interactive and entertaining like it was years ago. It was cool seeing the specialty monsters and stuff. Now, peeps are blitzed with enraged and bosses immediately and scares them off.
  3. I haven't looked at the tutorial in a while, so I don't know what it's like. But I think we should consider the possibility of people being scared off not by having to do a tutorial, but by there being a tutorial, and thus the server needing a tutorial. Because it does. When people skip the tutorial, they get lost in the waste, or ruin the frontier, or ask how to tp because they missed /visit. EMC has lots of great unique features, and is generally quite well thought out, but because it is different and not necessarily intuitive, I think a tutorial is a very useful feature.
  4. I think the "[cringe warning]" isn't needed in the title since your intentions are noble, but... I agree with 607 and Zomberina about this topic.

I'd throw my own thoughts into the ring, but I have no idea what the tutorial is like on EMC, currently. I'll let others speak who know more than I do about this topic. :)
    607 and Zomberina like this.
  5. I think just modernize it?
    Zomberina and Joy_the_Miner like this.
  6. Now they're just like maze and most ppl joined emc DOESNT want play tutorial. They just want instant games.
    Let's look at problem. Many new ppl when connected to emc and just left before warm welcome shown up. How we supposed to get more ppl since we just constantly lost player and old player arent dedicate anymore?
  7. Again, the point of the tutorial is to ensure that new peeps know the most basic of the basic rules. If you can't bother to even learn those, you don't need to play here. #IsaidwhatIsaid Also, players going to the tutorial and immediately walking them through it isn't helping either. EMC wants new players, but we need peeps to respect the most basic of the rules. The tutorial takes less than five minutes. If they can't even dedicate that much time on here, who cares if they leave.
    Fred_TWK, 607, SoulPunisher and 3 others like this.
  8. I think they need the basics just being dropped into emc can be confusing for many and cause them to leave i think just adding some newer or different aspects/techniques and it’ll be fine.
  9. Heya, W1ther!

I appreciate your interest in trying to keep new players on EMC. However, I do not think that removing the tutorial would have the results that you want. The tutorial is in place for many reasons:
    • It is a brief introduction to EMC and what we are about. Not every player is going to be interested in the play styles that EMC has to offer, and that's okay. We can still let them know what they could do here and encourage them to give it a chance.
    • It helps new players learn the rules. We want new players to enjoy EMC, but it is also very important that we keep the game safe and fair for everyone. A huge part of this is making sure that people are aware of the rules so they can follow them.
    • It introduces new players to some of the basic commands and other concepts that will help them get started on EMC. We have a lot of custom features and commands that are different from other servers, so there is a lot to learn. The tutorial is supposed to provide knowledge of the most basic things and then guide players to where they can learn more.
    There is no such thing as a perfect tutorial, but instead of debating getting rid of it, maybe we could focus on how to improve it. I cannot make any promises about what will/will not happen to the tutorial in the future, but I would love to know what small things you all think would make it better. :)
  10. Is it possible to go through the tutorial again? It's been years since I went through and, well, my memory isn't what it used to be.
  11. just type /tutorial on any of the normal SMPs :D
    607, farmerguyson and Joy_the_Miner like this.
  12. I agreed about tutorial exists but let's look: Player just leave and we are rarely get more players, just like drip and those leave are too much.
    You don't see these player can make potential but because of tutorial they just left.
    Don't make them too hard otherwise they doesnt care about dedicate in this server.
    And remember, new player are keys to grow emc community
    • The tutorial is not too hard.
    • Anyone who has trouble asks us a few questions a we can 'walk' them through it with chat.
    • Not every player who connects with emc wants to be here. Some were looking for something else entirely.
    • You cannot please everyone who comes to Emc. We are here to be "Empire Minecraft". This is not a copy of some other server - this is unique.
    • You can't invite anyone who walks into your house to make a sandwich with your food - get to know them first before giving them the keys.
  13. okay for me.
    for others (aka new players joined), they may not see that's good. And in their eyes that's barricade. They left and left.
  14. W1ther, I really appreciate your input but you're just purposely denying any concept of players proving their worth of being here by acknowledging like FIVE very BASIC questions to gain entry. Is the tutorial a barrier to play? Seriously? Or are players to immature to give a poop about the rules? I'd say it's the latter. They don't need to be here if they don't want to take a whole whopping five minutes of their life to answer FIVE questions. Seriously, this is getting ridiculous. The tutorial isn't a barrier, the new player showing up and not caring about community rules is the barrier.
  15. How about taking a two tiered approach. Tier 1 would be the tutorial as it is now. Tier 2 would be more in depth questions about the site with some additional perks akin to a downgraded iron supporter for completing it. This is what I suggest: A colored name (I suggest dark gray, but otherwise tbd), Automatic Rupees: Automatically receive your daily rupees each day, 3 vault page limit, 2 chat alerts, 3 residence tags, 3 resident perm groups, 5 residence perm group users.

As you can see, I took the iron supporter and downgraded it for Tier 2 tutorial purposes. I suppose you could call it lead (as in the metal) "supporter".

Some possible questions for tier 2:
    Q: What forum page can you find info about already established shops/malls?
    A: Shop/Mall Directory by KatydidBuild
    Q: What are tokens used for?
    A: Biome changes within towns
    Q: What's the easiest way to earn rupees?
    A: Voting
    Other questions as the emc contributers see fit.

The purpose of the first question is due to many new players not knowing where to buy stuff. The other suggested questions are for similar reasons.
  16. This is so sad :( I know this is true, but should not be...

I need to work on this. (for another thread)
    VoidDistortion and Joy_the_Miner like this.
  17. These are good ideas.

Do keep in mind though some of our players don't have parental permission to go to sites. I would also go as far as saying they can't visit our forums so questions regarding content might cause problems for some.
    Zomberina and Joy_the_Miner like this.
  18. Oh? I'm curious what you have in mind! :eek:
    KatydidBuild likes this.
  19. {cringe warning}
    OhMiku likes this.