Steam Summer Sale 2016

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by xHaro_Der, Jun 23, 2016.

1. I guess this is my problem with BeamNG then. For $4.99, sure, I'll buy it and screw around for 15 minutes every month or so. Fine. But at $20, the price for what you're getting is obscene. You're buying the extreme barebones version of what could actually be remotely entertaining for any reasonable period of time. Mods are not a part of a game unless they're made by the developers (which would then make them DLC, whether free or paid). They're bits of bonus content that players make because they feel like it.

Let's talk about the modding community.
    [rant]
    Granted, I only played for 45 minutes, however I spent about 20 minutes of those 45 looking for any hope of good content that was made for the game on the modding platform. I could find literally nothing remotely interesting. The community of people who model cars in, unless I'm missing some completely different platform other than one that the in-game link takes you to, seems completely tasteless aside from antique cars. I'm sorry, but I have no interest in an Audi from 30 years ago. Neither do I have any interest for a ****ing school bus. I searched for nearly half of my playtime for any sign of a reasonably modern sports car and came up with absolutely nothing. I found one person who had a project going where he was trying to model a 2010 Toyota Camry as best as he could. Seriously? You have a project you want to pour tons of work into, and you choose to model what is arguably the least interesting car on the face of the Earth.
    [/rant]

Back to the price tag!
    [rant]
    For $20, I'd expect a hell of a lot more from the base game aside from a barebones set of cars and maps included and a shaky at best physics engine. Like you said, I could always come back once in a blue moon and play for a little while, but I'd do that if it was $4.99, not $20. For $20, I expect much more than what they have right now. I expect some sort of campaign or multiplayer that isn't awful. If a campaign or multiplayer doesn't fit into the game, give me some type of game mode that isn't just mindlessly steering (if you can even call it steering) antique cars and school buses off cliffs! Like you said, once again, Minecraft and GTA V are the types of games that you play full time and this is just a side title.

However, Minecraft and GTA V cost $27 and $34 on sale respectively. BeamNG costs $20. Minecraft has an unlimited amount of content and there's something out there that you will enjoy. Be it survival, singleplayer, multiplayer SMP, or minigames, you'll find something that you like. GTA V speaks for itself. I do not need to explain the insane amount of content that comes in GTA V. That game is nuts. Both Minecraft and GTA V have great content to price ratios, but BeamNG costs $20 for an empty engine with a starter set of models and a modding community that has a fetish for public transportation and 1980s automobiles. BeamNGs content to price ratio is probably the worst that I've ever seen off the top of my head.
    [/rant]
    Hrghorhg and 607 like this.
  2. Garry's Mod is a perfect description of BeamNG; I never looked nor cared to look at the modding community, but it sounds pretty awful, which definitely does not contribute to the $20 price tag.
  3. You can just play. There are plenty of maps available already, and definitely lots of car crushers given from the start without need for making your own. And even if it isn't up to your standard, modding more maps and car crushers really isn't that hard and there are tons out there on the net.
    I'm not a fan of Garry's Mod, but BeamNG is something else. I enjoy car crash physics, I liked them on GTA IV and I was sad to see it wasn't like that on GTA V. You don't have to look at the modding community to even enjoy the game, I only have about two extra maps on BeamNG now, though I used to have a load of extra cars.

As for modding, there's a TON of crushers, maps and cars you can get. Sports cars, too. There was a handy website with a central hub for getting a load of cars, my first search took me 10 seconds and I found this: http://www.worldofmods.com/beamng/cars/

If the Nissan GTRs, Ferraris and Lamborghinis that I found within my first minute of searching aren't sports car enough, I don't know what is! :p

As for the price, I bought it cheap, so I can't really help you both on that. That's your choice, depending on what it's worth to you.

Tl;dr: The game was worth what ever small price I bought it for a while back, I play it every now and then but not overly much, you don't have to mod the game to enjoy it, if you do mod it then there's a million and one things out there and it's relatively easy, and there's a LOT of variation! :)
  4. Now that link is definitely something that should have been better displayed within the game.. The UI in the game makes it seem like the OEM BeamNG modding website was the grand repository and didn't hint at all that there was greener grass on the other side of the fence. There should have definitely been a better reference than an unassuming orange button to add content and nothing else.

Even with those cars, though, I'd never pay $20 for the game as it is.

Do you recall what price you paid for it?
  5. When I modded the game, there wasn't any orange button in the game about adding content :p It's changed a lot since I bought it, it was quite a while ago...

Because it was quite some time ago, I can't remember what I paid for it :(

If it goes cheap, then it's worth it for a little bit of fun every now and then, but if not, then you're right - it's not worth it for the amount you're going to use it :)
    607 and xHaro_Der like this.
  6. so anyways i came out of the sale with undertale, thief, the witcher 1, saints row the third, outlast, mirrors edge, metro last light and metro 2033 redux, lego marvel superheroes, gta 3 and game dev tycoon. good haul.
    xHaro_Der likes this.
  7. Nope, I lied. Just bought BeamNG.drive and the back to the future car pack for Rocket League because I had to :p
  8. I'm not a huge fan of the DeLorean but I know some people like it.

The form factor makes it kind of awkward to freestyle and air juggle though because it has a really sharp front.

Let me know how you like it.
    607 likes this.
  9. I got Life is Strange EP 2-5, both Portal games, Witcher 1 & 2, Bro Force and bought a friend Nekopara Vol. 1
    Olga likes this.
  10. The summer sale is now over.

I walked out with Project CARS and the Revenge of the Battle Cars DLC for Rocket League.

I expected to walk out with way more, but aside from DOOM, all of the prices seemed to be status quo and nothing better :(
  11. I thought fallout 4 for 30 instead of 60 was a great deal