Steam Summer Sale 2016

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by xHaro_Der, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Mind you, Minecraft at 85 fps doesn't really take a powerful PC. My old rig with a Pentium dual core straight out of 2009 with a GT 610 that I added in 2013 ran Minecraft at 70-80 fps maxed out easily. It might have dropped to 50-60 fps if you were in the nether with a lot of fire on screen or at mob arena with a lot of entities.
    This sentence bothers me to a level that is higher than it probably should be for a few reasons.

1) The best graphics card on the market is currently the GTX 1080 from NVIDIA. That card will ****ing obliterate BeamNG.Drive and will run it like butter even at 4K. Needing the best card on the market is a huge overstatement.

2) The power to run a gaming computer is pretty insignificant. If you have a powerhouse of a gaming rig and play nearly any title out there, you'll hit maybe 400W of energy usage maximum. Even if you play 6 hours per day and have the US average rate electricity rate of $0.12 per kWh, you're looking at a cost of ~28 cents per day that you play that PC with the above parameters. I think we can all afford 28 cents per day in electricity costs; if you can't, then I think you have bigger problems to deal with than having the latest driving game.

3) BeamNG.Drive will run in a mediocre fashion on a GTX 560. A GTX 560 is the graphics card that was released at the bottom of the lineup on a terrible architecture (Fermi was awful) by NVIDIA in January of 2011. That is not high end at all by today's standards and is also 5+ years old.

I do agree, though, that BeamNG is still pretty overpriced for what it actually is. You smash models into obstacles and repeat until you get bored. $20? Nah.
    Steam is probably the king of the hill when it comes to privately held companies with an extremely high public image to business practice ratio. Their public image if you ask any ordinary user is actually not bad at all. However, their business practices are atrocious.

If there was some competitor to Steam that arose with a similar client and DRM style but with improved business practices and customer support that was somehow able to port over the licenses I already bought on Steam, I would switch in no time hands down. Steam's customer service is notoriously useless and I have no reason to believe that their support isn't run 100% by an ugly child of Siri and Cortana.
    They should just rename Canadian Dollars to Rupees. They're worth about the same :p
    You could just sell off the trading cards you get from doing the discovery queue during the sale. You can also sell the useless trading cards, emoticons, and wallpapers that games will randomly give you. I actually found a foil card in my inventory that I don't remember getting and it sold for like $0.80.
    Both of these choices are stronger than most relationships.
    SoulPunisher and 607 like this.
  2. I just ultra-disliked that game, most of what I said is probably the equivalent of what comes out of my ass, lol; I was just super super angry at the price, considering that the game is hardly more than an experimental physics engine and the fact that it's early access. You could buy much more for that price

I use a crappy Intel card, and it is the worst part of my computer and crashes frequently
    xHaro_Der likes this.
  3. Lol that sounds more like it :p

I think it is pretty overpriced. I'd have probably kept it at $4.99 or so just to mess around every once in a while. I'd expect much, much more from a $20+ title than a rough-as-sandpaper physics sandbox that doesn't actually have any built in content than the lame included cars and the lame included maps.

It's not even a decent driving game. Good luck trying to complete an obstacle course map or something, it's about the equivalent of driving a car on the moon.
  4. It really is not a good game, like you said. Even with my laggy GPU, I at least expected stable controls and some evidence that the devs didn't half-ass the environments. Actual things to do would be nice too, besides randomly accelerating into trees.

(Btw Stardew Valley is amazing :D)
  5. Oh yeah. The Rocket League Collector's Edition is available now for Console Peasants in physical form but also has a PC version with Steam redeem codes inside.

It comes in at $30 and includes all content including exclusive DLC that will not be available until July 18th for separate purchase.

I personally think that's a giant heaping pile of bullcrap. They're withholding exclusive content for about a month so that only people who buy the $30 collector's edition can have it before people who already own the base game can buy the DLC too. This is a huge slap in the face for anyone who's played the standalone game for a while and doesn't want to buy it all over again for an extra $30 and pay for what they already own, but they'll have to if they don't want to wait until July 18th.

It doesn't bother me too much since I'm not able to play until August anyways as I'm away for the summer, so I'll just buy the new DLC when it comes out anyways, but I'd be pretty upset if I wanted the new DLC and I had to wait a month to get it while the newbies get to have it just because they didn't have the game before. It's like a reverse loyalty program.

In case you didn't know, the new DLC in the collector's edition is 4 new cars (I've only seen two of them but they look SWEET), some decals, some art, and other things like artwork and car customization that I can't be bothered to care about.

I wish that I could just buy an upgrade for $10 that would upgrade my copy of Rocket League to the collector's edition. I have no issue paying the difference for the collector's edition, but it's pretty shitty if I have to buy the game and the DLC I already own all over again just to get a few extras.
  6. Is Rocket League worth buying? I still have some left over money to spend, it looks pretty exciting but it seems like it could easily turn out to be just a soccer game with cars...
    xHaro_Der likes this.
  7. If a game can't even entertain me for half of the refund period, then it deserves to get the axe from my library.

The developer's excuse for the buggy physics and terrible controlling is that the game is in early access and you (being the player) should have considered that before you bought the game. IMO, they can take that 'early access' label and shove it directly up their ass. A game actively advertised and ready for purchase for a substantial amount of money ($20 even on sale can buy a lot of other games that are actually stable) should not have 'early access quirks'. How long are you going to flaunt around that early access tag? They've been in early access for a long time.

The core essentials (and the single selling point of the game that they have), being the physics and the driving, should be nearly flawless at this point. Other developers that have been in early access for much shorter periods of time have had this figured out for a while now and they didn't seem to have much trouble. But hey, if they want to keep the game as it is and not bother implementing any actual content worth a damn, that's none of my business now that I don't own it ;)

I heard Stardew Valley was great, but I'm not into that type of game so I'm not really interested in it.
  8. DO IT RIGHT NOW DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT

BUY IT AND NEVER LOOK BACK
  9. Well then, buying Rocket League it is. :D
  10. Rocket league is the best game ever Haro, I like it more than fallout, skyrim, gta, and all those games
    TromboneSteve and xHaro_Der like this.
  11. I like the way you put the abuse of the "Early Access" game, and I totally agree. Using early access is in no way an excuse to make a buggy and half-assed game. Universe Sandbox 2 is AMAZING, is $20, early access, and is the only place you will ever utter "Oops, I made a supernova." Not to mention the fantastic graphics in it.
    xHaro_Der likes this.
  12. Want to play some rocket league haro?
  13. I can't play until I get back in August :p

EDIT - I guess I'll explain why. The computer I took with me on vacation is my Surface Pro 4. I'd certainly play Rocket League occasionally on this machine and it'd definitely handle it alright, however my Xbox 360 wireless adapter for my controller is giving me issues with my Surface that not even Microsoft seems to be able to resolve and buying a new one that isn't junk costs $20 (lololol for a stupid adapter). Since buying a new adapter is nearly the cost of my controller (yay for Walmart clearance), I'd rather wait until Prime Day on the 12th and see if they've got any Xbox accessories on the cheap and maybe pick some stuff up. If not, I'll just wait until August to play again.
  14. On the topic of BeamNG: it's one of those games you play just once every now and then for a bit of fun. You can do all sorts of crazy things but it gets repetitive if you play it all day, every day...

I probably bought it cheaper, too, because I bought it when it was a lot older with not so many features :p Seeing the amount of progress the game has made has been worth every penny, probably because I didn't need to pay many pennies for it anyway! :rolleyes:

If it ever gets to a low enough price, it's worth it for the odd laugh, but it isn't a game you can play all the time :)
    607 likes this.
  15. Once you're in early access, you're never coming out of early access. The only games I've seen come out of early access are Kerbal Space Program and The Escapists. There's probably a few more, but there's probably not many compared to how many games are in early access. They have your money and it will keep coming in from an unfinished game, why should they complete it?
    607 likes this.
  16. Bought my final game, Streets of Rage II
  17. That's what I felt like it could be, but I just couldn't get past the fact that the graphics looked like something a 3 year old made out of origami, and the fact that the game is literally a physics engine with a car. It would be hard for me to log more than 3 minutes at a time with it.
  18. Considering it takes me 3 minutes to get onto a map, I can play much more than that. The graphics are really not that bad. The graphics allow for some really good crash physics, and there's all sorts that you can do with the cars, you can have multiple, and that means crashing into different vehicles as well, demolition derby, etc. You can do lots of mods in the game, lots of new maps, new ways to crush cars, etc.

At the end of the day, it's just about crushing cars. If you don't appreciate the physics then you won't like the game. I think you're being a little bit too critical of it, because it does have some really good points to it and I know many people enjoy it, I suppose it's just not for you. If you're not into that kind of idea of having a very mod-friendly, heavily physics based car crushing game then it's simply not for you. But thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I've had all sorts of fun modding new cars in and putting new maps on. Sure, I don't play it for hours at a time, but every now and then I can log in and do something different. A different map, a different car, a series of cars, what ever. I enjoy it, but I wouldn't play it as a main game like Minecraft/GTA etc, just something I visit every now and then :D

And if you don't even want to play the game every once in a while, that's your choice, too :p But it can be an interesting game at times :)
  19. I get the crushing cars thing, but I feel that the game as a standalone is like a shell, and it shouldn't be that way, due to the fact that some people (statistics on this?) want to download a game and just play, and games like Stardew Valley, Universe Sandbox (early access) are like this. No need to screw around with making your own maps and car crushers.
    xHaro_Der likes this.
  20. This.

It feels like Gary's Mod (a game that I hate with a passion) but with a car in it. I think you could probably achieve pretty much what BeamNG is with any ordinary sandbox if you just throw a car in it and set the gravity to 0.6. Make sure you set the ground to ice and drift at all times, and boom! You have BeamNG!

They may as well have just sold you Unreal Engine with a set of predefined modifiers and a few models to start with for $20.