Steam Summer Sale 2016

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by xHaro_Der, Jun 23, 2016.

1. If you're going to get Firewatch I would read the reviews and make sure it's actually what you want.

From what I've heard, the 'game' is more of a 2 hour movie that you control small aspects of (but leads you back to the same path no matter what). It has little replay value but if playable movies are your thing then I guess you'll enjoy it.
  2. LuckyPat likes this.
  3. Oh yeah, Rocket League is $11.99. If you don't own that yet, buy it already. You've put it off for too long.

Speedrunners for $3 is also something that I easily put 300+ hours into. I haven't played it in over a year and it was in beta back then with less features, but man it's fun and addicting. It's like an arcade running racer game (hard to explain, just watch a short YouTube video about it), but it starts off really easy and hilarious. You start off being awful but so is everybody else at your rank and you can all fail together and it's super hilarious. Then once you start getting better and gain higher ranks, it's equally as fun and the community and ranks grow in skill along with you. It's something really unique that I've yet to find something quite like. At $3, it's an absolute steal.
  4. The graphics are pretty mediocre but you are on a Minecraft server forum :p. The actual gameplay is far from bland if you are into the type of game. The amount of depth is actually pretty staggering and it doesn't require scouring a wiki to pick it up. The trailers give a really good idea of what the game is about. Does the thought of building up a factory from scratch slowly automating every aspect to work independently of your interaction sound fun? Do logistic puzzles and "How do I accomplish x in the most efficient way" challenges seem entertaining. Does tweaking a design to maximize the output and wondering how you can make things faster with the least amount of effort peak your interest? If so, this game is probably one of the best places to put your money. If that sounds more like a chore than a game, then stay away from this. My friend and I spent a few hours making the factory we had been working on for close to 10 hours obsolete because we realized we couldn't get any more speed from it and could make something so much better with trains and robots and outposts and organization. Also, there is a free demo for Factorio That will show the earliest automation tools.

As for the actual sale, I hope Valve makes another (better) arg for it. So far it looks like things will be pretty boring with a super generic summer theme and no interactive element. There aren't a lot of games that I am really looking to buy. Monster hunter 3 ultimate is going to keep me busy for a while along with Factorio. Stardew Valley is one of the only games that really stood out to me as being something really cool and unique. I have $20 to spend so I will likely buy something random I find that looks pretty fun. That worked pretty well with The Swapper.
  5. You can make Minecraft look like a AAA title (and demand AAA resources lol) if you grab a x256 resource pack and HDR shaders ;)

But Factorio graphics.. Just by looking at the video on the store page, it looks straight out of 2006. The only gripe I have is that you can't really customize it. It's not really their fault, but there is no community at all that makes textures for Factorio. If Minecraft didn't have its immense modding and texturing community, it would have probably been dead by now. OptiFine, among a few other mods, has probably been single handedly keeping Minecraft alive through letting people with crap computers (a fair portion of MC players) play the game at at least 20 fps.

If Factorio were multiplayer, I would consider buying it. However, since it's singleplayer, the playerbase that still exists by the time I get to it doesn't really matter, and thus there's really no indirect reason why I shouldn't buy it when it inevitably goes on sale for less other than wanting to play it now.

I completely agree about the sale this year being sub-par. There is no minigame to earn extra savings or cards or badges, there are no daily/flash sales to check back for, there's no other element besides straight up mediocre deals. It really seems like Valve is just trying to put as little effort as possible into the sale and they're just trying to suck every last penny of commission that they can get.

Even the animation that plays on the store page; I sat that there for 5 minutes when the sale started trying to interact with the damn thing, thinking it was a minigame or interactive element. Nope, they were just genuinely lazy enough to slap a gif onto the storefront and call it a day.

The sales just get less and less exciting as they go on. Last year's was actually pretty fun, it was fun to see the clicker game evolve from people trying to sit there and play it to at the end of the sale when there were script rooms that people made to get to crazy scores (I got to 50 million hehe). Then the winter sale 2015 was kinda just meh. I didn't really care at all for the (IMO worthless) comic ARG that they put in. It took way too much investigating to get anywhere and once a group of masterminds ended up solving the mystery by skipping a lot of steps and going into some questionable examination into Valve's servers, the only prize to be had was a badge and it was pretty disappointing.

So we went from group activities that earned bonus savings to a crime scene ARG that earned nothing and now to absolutely nothing.
  6. I would recommend looking into the community/servers a bit more. The modding community is pretty massive with this game since the game itself is easily modable. The graphics are pretty bad but the gameplay is absolutely fantastic (if you are into this type of game) and you will spend most of your time zoomed out pretty far anyway dealing with the factory. I am actually happy they went with the simply graphics since it runs flawlessly on my terrible laptop. Even then though, I found a few texture packs for the game with a quick google search. Also, Factorio is multiplayer :p. They are releasing a big update on Monday that makes the Multiplayer more seamless with an ingame interface for finding both mods and servers. The playerbase is also definitely not small. The reddit page has almost 25 thousand subscribers.

Also, you might have to wait a long time for any sale (longer than winter) since this is their official stance on the matter:
    https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-140
  7. Here is what I have to say about that.

CyborgTed likes this.
  8. You know what's the funniest part of all this?
    nuclearbobomb, ESSELEM and xHaro_Der like this.
  9. Lol. definitely worth it. Have fun with the hundreds of hours that inevitably await you :p
    If you ever want to play multiplayer, send me a pm. I would recommend starting with the campaign since it acts as a tutorial.

Edit: also, I am looking to get Rocket League during the sale. That and Stardew valley are my main goals.
    xHaro_Der likes this.
  10. DO IT :D
    Did you buy BeamNG, too? :)

Still tempted by Euro Truck Sim and Project Cars but not sure if they're worth it or not :p I've already got American Truck Sim... Car Mechanic Sim 2015 is on offer too, so torn but nothing jumps out immediately and says I have to buy it :rolleyes:
    LuckyPat likes this.
  11. Why am I not surprised...
  12. Not surprised at which part of what I said, and why?
  13. Oh, about the cars. You ARE a known car lover, aren't yee?
  14. YES! JUST, DO IT!
  15. Nope, Valves retarded and didn't discount CS:S so the complete costs like $24 INCLUDING the 5 games out of it that I already own being taken off. Terrible deal this time around.
    I don't know about BeamNG yet. It looks kinda cool but I feel like it would get boring after a while. It looks like it doesn't natively have much to do besides just crashing things.

Project CARS looks like a really sweet racing sim. I was also considering Assetto Corsa but I don't really feel the need to have both games.

I'm just waiting for a good racing game to feature a Tesla car :D
  16. That would be me :p
    BeamNG gets boring if you play it continuously. I tend to play it once every now and then, and I don't regret buying it. Lots of added content to the game and you can always experiment with different physics :)

I'll have to keep an eye on Project CARS, but I'm not sure :p
  17. Oh, yes, Steam. I don't tend to use Steam, even though I have eleven MAC games. I don't use it, but I did see the sale. I don't really like any of your games above....
  18. What kind of games do you like?
  19. What I'm planning to get:
    -Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

What I'm thinking about getting:
    -Dex
    -The Banner Saga

What I really want but the price isn't right:
    -Hyper Light Drifter: Post apocalyptic hardcore Zelda. The art is beautiful, the game-play looks fantastic, the story looks interesting, and it's not in my budget (if I get it I can't get anything else this sale).
    -fallout 4 season pass
  20. Thanks for asking! The games I like are:
    • Overwatch
    • Mimecraft (starting not to like it as much, though)
    • Racing Games (Cars, Motorcycles, ETC.)
    • Roller Coaster Tycoon Three