Sky's "How to English" Lessons

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Unoski, Mar 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I will make that an topic to cover.
    Has already been posted. :p
    *claps*
  2. Chief_McCloud likes this.
  3. I can't actually tell yet if this thread is supposed to be covering grammar as well, but that is a run-on sentence. It should have been separated into two different sentences. I completely agree with the "ur" thing though. I can't stand that people are so lazy they refuse to take the time to type two extra letters; however, grammar isn't a huge pet peeve of mine aside from people incorrectly using they're, their, there, your, and you're.
    607, DubChef, Pab10S and 1 other person like this.
  4. Mine was funnier. <.<
    Aw, ok then. =P
  5. Just use italics :p
    AwesomeBuilder33 likes this.
  6. Y'all our crazay:
    Ultimamaxx likes this.
  7. I'll give 1k (in-game) to the first person that finds the mistake in the quote above.

What I just typed was also grammatically incorrect. Find the error for 1k.
  8. No subject in the quote. And you need a comma after "quote" and before "above".
    Ultimamaxx likes this.
  9. Your first answer was correct, but your second answer was not correct. ;) I'll pay you your 1,000 rupees now.

The first person to find the three mistakes in the quote above will get 3k.
    607 and Dr_Chocolate14 like this.
  10. The second 'sentence' is not really a sentence. I should have commas around the, '"quote"', and the '"above"'.

I should proofread...
  11. I assume you chose to ignore the first sentence?
  12. Here is the correct answer:
    There is no subject in the first sentence.
    The second sentence starts with the word "and."
    The period at the end should be inside of the quotation marks.

I'll give you 3k anyway for trying. :)

Keep this in mind: you don't need to place commas before quotes. It is the same, as, doing, this.

It's my fault. I didn't see it. :p There should be no question mark in what you typed.
    607 likes this.
  13. Can't find the 3rd one here.
  14. I can debate this, lol. The period does not HAVE to go inside the quotation marks. It is a matter of personal preference. I chose not to put it inside the quotations because the word above did not include the period. However, re-reading the your tip at the end, I realized it was an appositive; not a non-essential clause.
  15. Commas and periods HAVE to be inside the quotation marks. The rule does not apply outside of the United States.
  16. Thank you
    hashhog3000 and SkyDragonv8 like this.
  17. I have a fun little comic on iron that does an excellent job of explaining what irony is as well as the different types of irony. I won't post pictures of it here because of its length, but it's fairly entertaining and I'd recommend it to any grammar geek.
    IRONY COMIC
    607, PenguinDJ and Ultimamaxx like this.
  18. this thread gave me a headache
  19. Starting a sentence with the word "and" isn't wrong if it has the parts of a basic sentence and continues on a point mentioned earlier.
    I myself do not put periods inside of quotation marks.
    You do, however, need to place commas before dialogue such as this next sentence. He said, "I'm going to play some "Call of Duty".
  20. The use of a comma isn't necessary in this instance. It is more of a personal preference sort of thing.
    DubChef likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.