Residence Tagging!

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Hmmm....dibs on /res tag add Villager Trading...If I come home from the wilderness alive....soooo...farrrr...
    Equinox_Boss and marine4121 like this.
  2. It's a good idea that won't work 100% as players can tag themselves anything they like. But definatly still a feature worth having, especially for a newbies like me. :p)

As I am 100% new here.. and the thought of having to visit 1000's of 60x60 residences to find the shops worth visiting is incredibly daunting. So even if I visit residences tagging themselves with things that aren't true, it'll be better than walking around manually checking EVERYWHERE (Did that for 2 hours on day, and found almost nothing i wanted... so won't waste my time doing that again....)

Someone asked: "Can you get a list of residences that use a particular tag?" - Was there an answer to this?

IE. "/tag shop" would list all residences that use the tag "shop". Thus you can manually visit each in the list as you wish, rather than randomly hoping to get to one you have not seen yet. It'd be very useful.

EDIT: Oh, and I'd like to add: I am 100% in favor of admin NOT policing this, or having players 'vote' for tags to be removed. It can be just as easily abused as people using incorrect tags to start with. Thanks

Cheers
    NZScruffy
  3. I'm not sure if this system could be abused exactly, as a player wouldn't stand to gain anything from an wrongly tagged res. Sure, a player would be disappointed to find the blank res, but they would just /v +mall again and continue their search :)
  4. great idea :) but can people stop adding a shop/mall tag to their residence when its not open
    Equinox_Boss and kevdudeman like this.
  5. I will add on here that calling dibs on tags is not going to work =P

Anyone can tag their residence anything they want (as long as it adheres to EMC rules). On that note, if you know someone has tagged their res inappropriately (and i don't mean with +shop when there isn't a shop) please report that player so that admins can know.

Please and thank you!
  6. So you mean with things such as... well, let's just say that one of the possible things is a reproductive organ on male animals? :p
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  7. May I suggest a way to see how many/what reses have a specific tag?
    Equinox_Boss and kevdudeman like this.
  8. When will EMC be updated to 1.7.2?
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  9. Simply, when it's ready.
  10. 607 and Equinox_Boss like this.
  11. Equinox_Boss likes this.
  12. Wait wat. ._.
    P.S: Fixed 2 of your errors for you ;)
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  13. Well, that's the best answer possible, if it's not "good enough" for you, then that's not Aikar's fault.
    In the past, date's have been given, only for it to be delayed past that date.
    Hardly any custom coded servers are on the "true" 1.7.2 right now, there isn't even a dev build yet.
    What would you rather? A server experience riddled with bugs, or that same excellent experience that we are used to everyday?
    Equinox_Boss, 607, mba2012 and 2 others like this.
  14. Great concept! I hope the follow up will be a directory of tags (either in game or on website) so anyone can skim thru all residences tagged "store" for example.

P.S. Still waiting on Dragon Tombs....13 months and counting >.<
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  15. Me and a few people are kind of annoyed that people tag their residences as +shop but have no shop.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  16. I know I'll get annoyed with it also, but it is better than not having tags at all IMO.

I'm trying to think of ideas to making the tagging work better. Any thoughts? (that don't cause more problems, or inhibit freedom/creative tagging?)
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  17. What about incorporating the tags into live map? :) can turn tags on and off, but only show in zoomed in mode.

Or a submenu in livemap to turn on certain tags (listed in alphabetical order)
    Equinox_Boss and Zarembo1 like this.
  18. That sounds tricky, as Aikar doesn't develop the live map himself, we use Dynmap.
    The live map and the tags are in effect in two different plugins, so getting them to communicate with eachother would be hard.
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  19. Dynmap does partially communicate with Residence. Not saying that tagging integration is possible, or will be added if it is - but they do communicate to an extent. :p

After all, Dynmap knows where each and every Residence, the number, and the owner. :p
    Equinox_Boss, mba2012 and RainbowChin like this.
  20. (Normal talk) No, the quote "That's not good enough" from Pirates of the Caribbean was for humor (I did not intend to insult or anger just to try and make some humor), and I guess I didn't show enough silliness. (Now serious) I do know that these things take a long time as there are many things to go over. I appreciate all the work that they have done. I have a little experience with coding, and it is very difficult and annoying. So thanks and thanks!
    Precisely, and They were preporpoisely (Yes, purposely. Can no one do movie quotes and puns?) put into place so as to insure a more humorous atmosphere. Thanks for the corrections, but hey I guess no one caught teh humor I was trying to sneakily insert into my sillyish passages.
    P.S. No one can read this without highlighting the text! :cool: