Public QnA, EMC Staff Livestream

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iSmooch, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Challenge accepted. I understand that this would be mostly be about administration, but I included some suggestions that would include other well-known players, so feel free to ignore them.
    Have JustinGuy in a full creeper suit.
    Anounce the winner of one of the ongoing contests (a far stretch, considering the difficulty with timing).
    Have ICC blow up the smp1 town spawn with tnt, and show the live video (not really, but it would be legit).
    Have a "panel" discussion with multiple mods at once. You could talk about your favorite EMC moments, EMC's biggest problems, how you got started playing Minecraft, future plans, and whatever seems interesting.
    You could have a "know your mod" segment where each mod (if they choose) gets to introduce theirself (right word?) and say how they became a mod, fun facts, etc.
    Show us what the coding side of running EMC is like - show us what a typical day is like, how you test out the code in-game, who has what authority, what hardware/software you use, etc.
    Have a small segment on the history of EMC - maybe just a one-or-two minute video - which talks about how the server initially got started, when you increased the number of servers, when you introduced membership, how different updates affected EMC, and any noteworthy fun/serious events that happened along the way.
    A segment about the balance between playing in the wild and the town. You could interview/mention the prominent wild bases, talk about your opinions on how different aspects of gameplay involve the wild, and your vision for the future (dragon tomb update).
    Something about the economy, rupees, resources, membership, donation, well-known stores, the role that /shop plays or used to play.
    Introduce something new for smp3-9 and utopia. smp1 and smp2 have the graveyard and park respectively, and I think the other servers could use some love.
    Even if you don't have general discussion for any of the categories I mentioned, it might help to have a separate Q&A session for each category, so you won't get random questions throughout the whole thing (unless someone has something more interesting than the planned topic). That way people could tune in to the parts they're most interested in, and no one would be battling to change the subject.
    More suggestions?
    mba2012, Kadboy and ISMOOCH like this.
  2. I like this. Im not saying all of this is doable. But it has helped with some ideas on how to organize this. Anything else you feel to contribute, do not feel the need to holdback.

That goes for everyone honestly. The best thing to handle an event like this is planning as much as possible until we go 'Live'. So the more you can give us, of you guys would want to see, of what you would want to know. We could do things like separate differnent time periods for differnent questions. Other things of that nature.
  3. i think this would be a wonderful idea. with good planning could even have it set up to run 24/7 with enough staff that lives in different time zones. this not only would give the players a chance to ask questions but to even give the players a chance to get to know our great staff better. I've seen several of the newer players that only skimmed thru the forums lately with uninformed opinions that our staff are not as active in the community. i understand that these players may have in the past had bad experiences on other servers as have i where the staff is almost non existent when it comes to the communication and socialization of it members. this could help benefit the empire's community as a whole by showing our newer players that we all, including staff, are a family here at EMC.

on that note there is the flip side of having to deal with players that have done bad things to get themselves banned and come onto live stream complaining/yelling at the staff for why they were banned or just plain causing a scene just to make more trouble, but I'm sure you all have thought about that too and would come up with a way to ban/mute these disruptive players.

this also could be a way of showing us how you guys build those great buildings in town if you decided to add video feeds into...;)

well there's my 2 cents lol. hope it helped :)
    mba2012 and ISMOOCH like this.
  4. smp 3 has the fun park and 5 has the mobarena :)
    just saying :p
  5. How about Q&A and some upcoming plans?
    I'm kind of so-so on this topic.
  6. Maybe, but people might not be comfertable by talking, (did I understand that correctly?) and it might take a while to set up a voice chat. Also, if you have a problem, you can just post it on the forums, it wont take more then the time to refresh a page if mods ate on and active at that moment, which has never been a problem.
  7. Are you thinking that we would be talking, or are you saying that some of the staff wouldn't be comfortable talking? If I'm understanding this correctly, the staff members would just do something like a twitch.tv livestream where they're the one's talking and playing some Minecraft, and we just type our questions into a chat bar for them to answer. If you're talking about the staff being uncomfortable then I would imagine that those particular members could just opt out of participating.
    ISMOOCH likes this.
  8. You guys should do a dragon tomb, as chickens O.O
  9. i know but what if they only did it for the videos... LOL i'm a genius
  10. That is correct. We do not plan on having any others at this point in time in the voice part. Just you guys asking questions and us answering them.
    You could ask us about plans. This gives everyone an oppurtunity to ask a question, something they may have tried to ask on the forums, or even in game, and it just never got picked up. While I would love for all of the forum people to show up, it would be great to achieve some interest from our long forgotten non-forum crawling brethern that wander the servers blindly. This could be a chance for them to ask questions, for just the one the time they have to log on to something instead of having to sift through miles of old threads to find an answer to a question that is already there.

We are not saying we will just show everyone, everything. But, it is in hopes that some 'new' things could be shown. We do want to keep somethings a surprise for you guys. Partially because we do not know when some of these updates will be realsed, another part because we just love the look on all your guys' faces when you open up a big wrapped box of awesome surprise sauce.

But who knows. Maybe there is just a secret combination of questions that will just get enough info leaked out to learn some new and exciting things about the updates to come.
    mba2012 and penfoldex like this.
  11. Will you guys ever make a PVP place where players from other SMP servers and fight each other BUT they can keep there stuff so they can have fun without worrying ?
  12. That sounds like a question you could save for the Livestream.
    mba2012, supereskimo and penfoldex like this.
  13. There is no PVP anywhere on ANY empireminecraft server.
    Events like that are very unlikely, next to impossible to happen.
  14. Sorry for my nooby questions but when is the live stream ?
  15. I mean members. I am not sure what twitch.tv but I have heard of it. Someone enlighten me.
  16. Haven't even decided what they're going to do yet, if at all.
  17. i do kinda find the idea of having a PVP place where people can come and fight each other and have fun, with out losing there stuff is awesome
  18. www.twitch.tv is a livestreaming website that lets people sign up and stream what they wish to anybody. It's basically just a live version of YouTube that lets the streamer see the comments from watchers as they come in and answer them immediately rather than having to wait for a reply on the forums. (No member voices involved :))
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  19. I was thinking that due to the time-zone issue, you might want to post earlier parts of the livestream session in video format, so everyone on EMC could see it if they couldn't be there live. Then it occured to me, why just EMC? If you plan this well, you could post the video on YouTube (in maybe 30 minute chunks, depending on how long it is), and you'd essentially be getting a free, very high quality advertisement for EMC. If you do this, I think it would be cool to include the top creations/residences on EMC to "show off," if you will. I think this would be a fantastic opportunity to appeal to high-quality players who like to watch Minecraft YouTube videos.
    Besides that, here are some more ideas for organizational topics (they may overlap):
    *Forums - how they started, what role they play
    *Voting and the popularity of EMC - how/if EMC would expand, how we compare to other servers, youtube videos about EMC, referrals...
    *The new mob arena - also, any other EMC-wide events, whether they're set up by the staff or not (EMC Olympics?)
    *General Minecraft - 1.5, the game's sudden rise to popularity, the social aspects, in-game mechanics and skills...
    *Staff-created EMC places - you could go around EMC servers to /town, /shop, the outposts, protected spawn, graveyard, park, mob arena, etc. - and talk about them
    Some ideas for what to do while talking:
    1. Good old fashioned Minecraft (my favorite idea): Have whichever mods are present at the beginning of the livestream all go to a personal server, where they try and survive. The good thing about this idea is that if someone has to leave because of timezone constraints, someone else can easily enter the world and jump right into the action. Plus, this lets us see how our mods play Minecraft.
    2. Cow Hockey - either on EMC or a different server (I believe ItsMeMatheus owns the Cow Hockey res on smp2).
    3. Spleef - easy to set up, plus the number of players doesn't really matter
    4. Cluster Chunk - you would want at least 8 players for this, but it doesn't create much lag. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOccs5c3QhM
    5. Survival Games - It seems to be pretty popular and accessible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxIQiCAvnko
    6. If you need more ideas, just browse through the Yogscast, Sethbling, EthosLab, and all the other brilliant MC players on YouTube.
    mba2012 and SexyDropbear96 like this.
  20. Great Idea.
    mba2012 likes this.