[POLL] Preferred Secondary Language

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussion' started by Mastism, Jul 16, 2020.

?

What is your first/preferred language? (For those who didn't speak English first!)

Poll closed Jul 23, 2020.
Spanish 6 vote(s) 75.0%
Chinese - Pinyin script (Mandarin, Cantonese, other varieties and dialects) 1 vote(s) 12.5%
Tagalog 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Vietnamese 0 vote(s) 0.0%
French (French Creole and Cajun dialects) 1 vote(s) 12.5%
  1. I don't count us in the frequency of seeing Dutch. :) Perhaps I see more Dutch because I'm online during Dutch times, and US based people may see more Spanish because you're online during Spanish-speaking-America(s) time, and regular Spanish people (from Spain, my timezone) probably mostly play on proper Spanish servers, so I won't see those much. (EDIT: I still feel like I see a disproportionate amount of Dutch :p)
    607 and wafflecoffee like this.
  2. Incorrect, I have not.

However, I did meet someone who was from Mexico about late 2018-ish. They were quite nice. :)
  3. I hope it is not too rude to bump this thread, because I think it is quite interesting, and I had somehow missed it!
    Latin is not the native language of any speech community, so it is a dead language. Also, the little thing you wrote is rather improper, I would say. :p But that's fine, enjoy learning. :D

I do wonder how many people on EMC speak Spanish! Especially as their first language. It would be interesting to see such statistics. Maybe I can host a survey at some point, and attempt to circulate it broadly across EMC? I guess that's hard for me to do, unless I restrict it to the forum. :p
    Did you end up finishing your mall? I'm very curious to see how it looks. :) I also wonder what's actually on the signs. Because if it's Minecraft items, then I find it hard to imagine that having them in Spanish would help. I might be wrong, but I assume that almost everyone playing Minecraft Java Edition has the in-game language set to English!
    I also do think that there are more people with Dutch as their native language than with Spanish as their native language, on EMC. And while Dutch people tend to pick up English rather early in life, American speakers of Spanish probably pick it up even earlier, because they will (I assume?) be confronted with it in daily outside life, instead of only on tv and on the web.
  4. Latin is still a spoken language in Vatican City. :p
    Stnywitness likes this.
  5. Spanish is technically one of my two second languages but I dunno whether it’d count tbh. I was able to speak to native speakers in Spain and they understood me, I sometimes talk to my sister in it when I want to say something my mum doesn’t understand... but I’m not fluent, just really well-rounded on what I learned in school, and it completely falls apart in complex sentences/longer conversations.

As I mentioned previously in this thread my second language is Welsh. I was raised around it and have had to use it... well, whenever I’m in Wales tbh (and then have to go online and get told by English people it’s a ‘dead language’ and that ‘nobody speaks it’ despite the fact I have to communicate in it constantly and I’ve met Welsh people who don’t even know English). That’s what I’d personally class as my second language, but I guess Spanish counts as well if you’re okay with it being broken and hardly ever spoken? :p
    607 likes this.
  6. *Rattle Rattle* *Rattling* Rattles*

Skeletonese :3
  7. Here are two definitions related to dead languages that very nicely back up the claim that Latin is a dead language. :p

:rolleyes:
  8. Aha, I didn't know that there was the distinction between dead languages and extinct languages!

I do agree with Wikipedia's definition and Latin thus being a "dead language", but I think Oxford's definition with example are a bit too quick, as Latin supposedly is still spoken in everyday use in Vatican City. :p
    607 and Stnywitness like this.
  9. I don't think it is, to be honest, but if we'd want to research it further we should do it in a private conversation, as this tangent ought to get back to the topic. :p
    Although Chris seems to be inactive, so we might not get a follow-up. :c