[Poll] Are you using a resource/texturepack?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ShelLuser, Jul 18, 2017.

?

Are you using a texture/resource -pack?

Poll closed Aug 18, 2017.
Yes 21 vote(s) 60.0%
No 11 vote(s) 31.4%
Not sure, I don't even know what that is 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Other (please leave a comment below!) 3 vote(s) 8.6%
  1. Hi gang!

So news leaked out that Mojang has hired a pixel artist to "fix" the default textures we currently have in the game. That brought out a bit of discussion but I figured I'd rather throw it into the Empire community because you guys are much more fun :)

But that made me wonder... isn't everyone using a texture or resource pack these days? Out of all the screenshots I see very few seem to be vanilla'ish.

SO... poll time!
    607 and WardleDeBoss like this.
  2. I'm pretty sure everyone uses a texturepack. I only know a few people who prefer the vanilla textures.
    If anyone wants to know what texturepack I use, It's called R3DCraft. It just makes the game look more realistic. Oh and the font is pretty sweet too!
  3. I don't use a texture pack.

I used to use Jolicraft, Faithful, a few others some years ago but nowadays I just prefer the default textures for the 'charm' they provide, I guess.

That, and I also struggle with installing mods and texture packs with the launcher lol. It used to be so much simpler :(
    607 and TomvanWijnen like this.
  4. "prefer" may be different than using... I use the default on all the systems in my house. One question is I know that most packs look better but do they have any performance gains/impacts?
    ShelLuser likes this.
  5. Yes! Someone who also calls it a texture pack! :D I still refuse calling it a resource pack; it used to be a texture pack, for me it'll always stay that. ;)
    oh, and a crafting table is a craftbox. ;)

But, unlike some have said, I actually do not use a texture pack. None at all - my texture pack folder is completely empty. I don't know why exactly to be perfectly honest, but I'm just happy with the default textures. I think it just gives me a more minecrafty feel. I do use many mods, so that's not it. Years ago there was some time I used Faithful (32x), but for a while I've been happy with the way it looked "out of the box". :)
    607, PetezzaDawg and ShelLuser like this.
  6. Depends on the pack and how much it fits OptiFine. For example: OptiFine allows for a bit of randomness in your levels, and that results in slight variations in certain block textures. When I put 4 cobblestone together you often see varies patterns. In the end it's all cobblestone, but the texture itself has a different pattern.

And that randomness can apply throughout the game. Chickens come in 3 or 4 different varieties on my pack.

And creepers :eek:

I actually love this one (most of the time): in the wilderness creepers are green. But in caves they turned grey on my pack, in the desert yellow'ish (gray / yellow). So they get a bit of random camoflage which.. sometimes is plain out nasty :D

Other than that no performance changes. Generally speaking a resource pack gobbles up a bit more resources than vanilla play.
    607 and TomvanWijnen like this.
  7. Depends. 16x packs, nah not really that much. 32x packs take a bit more. 64x packs a lot more, 128x packs even more, etc etc.
  8. Seconded.

Different side of the coin: on my first laptop (rip 2009 - 2012), which I first played Minecraft on, I ended up having to use a texture pack called DISCO or something once the game passed the Beta 1.8 mark. It was the lowest resolution possible in a texture pack, and blocks were often just solid colours. It looked good as a minimalistic kinda thing but that's not what I was using it for. I was using it to get more than 20 FPS on the lowest settings I could get the game.

Same thing happened to my second laptop (rip 2012 - 2016). When I first booted it up and logged into EMC on Christmas Day 2012, I was using the default textures on max settings and got a solid 30 FPS (a first for me lmao). In the last two years or so of the time I used it, game slowed to a crawl of 10FPS (although I'm pretty sure that was also every other function of the laptop). This time I wasn't actually smart enough to go download an 8x8 texture pack (even now I don't even know if they still exist) and suffered with it for ages, even with OptiFine.

Current computer (rip 2017 - ?) gets 60FPS on max settings on regular textures. Recently discovered I had the power mode on power saver that slowed performance, so I'm interested as to what it'll be now that I turned it off (clear FPS improvements in GTA: Vice City Fallout 4, Assassin's Creed III, Just Cause 2, etc.). The past 7 years of trying to scrounge up every last frame has conditioned me to put everything on the lowest settings though and if I still knew how to do it I'd download a texture pack that lets me save even more, even though I already get way more than I need, lol
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  9. I've never used a texture pack and never plan to. I kind of see the point but also don't. Not everyone is going to have the same texture pack, so you may build something that looks awesome to you but to someone like me it's just cobblestone lol.
  10. I use faithful. The game looks so choppy by itself; my eyes can't stand it. :D
  11. I use faithful simply because of the smooth text it has. I hate the blocky, pixely text from vanilla.
  12. Once upon a 1.9, I used a texture pack on a CTF server I loved that was massive battlegrounds based off of old historical battles and LOTR. They had classes and everything, was my first server. They shut it down last year, but whenever I was on there, I always used a gladiatorial themed texture pack. Now a days, I just use default.
    WardleDeBoss likes this.
  13. Yes I do use a texture pack, one I made myself to be exact...
    The texture changes I have selected are very little, but defenetly present, I have got a gray endrot base, to make it a more useful block, a cleaner redstone texture, arrows in the upper side of hoppers to show in what direction they're pointing, I have lowered the shield texture to make it less in-your-face and the last texture, one I think should be vanilla, sticky piston sides, to also show that something is a sticky piston when there's a block on top of it.
    I have also made another texture pack (well, made, I have searched through other texture packs to find the textures I wanted) that I was planning to use on a costum map I would make with an rl friend of mine, but we're still in th planning phase and it seems like we'll never leave that...
    AyanamiKun likes this.
  14. I use faithful 32*32 1.12. I also used to use ImpulseSV's clear glass back in 1.8 but that pack never got updated to my knowledge. Now if I try to use it my FPS drops and it does weird stuff to some of the games sounds.
    AyanamiKun likes this.
  15. I use two different resource packs. I have my own personal resource pack, that I edit where needed, for 1.12. However I just use a downloaded resource pack for 1.8.9
    AyanamiKun likes this.
  16. i started using one when some1 (i wonder who :D) showed me lithos pack ^.^
  17. sounds cool, is that avail. 4 download?
  18. Well, I haven't made a download for it, but I can sent it to you if you want to :p I don't feel like it's special enough though, as I think everyone can do it :p
  19. I use default all the way... I have messed around with a few packs but that was mostly to see the hype about them. I like the game the way it was meant to be seen... Blocky!!!
  20. don't forget the 512x packs...