Please nerf iron farms

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by AlexC__, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Where in the US?

I personally use server4you for my server, and this is the closest: http://www.server4you.com/root-server/server-details.php?products=5

But thats 2.4ghz and no SSD and AMD instead of intel.

Where do you find said specs?
  2. It's not like iron is dragon eggs, people. Iron is quite common and needs a stone pick to mine AT THE MINIMUM.
    So I'm supporting this "movement" to nerf iron farms.
  3. But it's not about banning them any more, Alex deliberately changed the title against that.
    And you say, it's common, yet we are not allowed to use something to get this common material easier?
    xxcapmanxx and jkjkjk182 like this.
  4. As Alex says here, it's hurting anyone who's trying to make some money by these people who, as Alex stated;

"We should be working for our minerals, not standing still for 10 hours/day then auctioning the double chest that you go off, then rinse and repeat." ~Alexchance
    AlexChance likes this.
  5. The root of the problem is the way we are doing auctions. People are auctioning off anything that can be shoveled or farmed from dirt to gold now where before someone that wanted a large quantity of some farmable item for a build might afk long enough to fulfill their need then stop. Or someone supplying a shop might do the same.

I've had quite a few stone auctions. I likely never would have mined that extra stone if the Auction rules hadn't been changed.

We're seeing iron auctions almost daily now. 20k for a double chest and many people want to be a part of that. If the motive were removed, most of this "problem" would likely go away.
    AlexChance likes this.
  6. you can make an iron golem farm man if only i had a iron golem in town they look cool but sadly are not buildable the buildable part i meant is building the iron golem mob just in a regular way 4 blocks 1 pumpkin
  7. I didn't check US companies, because I expect(ed) that EU is more expensive (?)
    https://www.strato-pro.com/enu/root-server/
    (I used Strato before and I was satisfied overall, especially with quality of the Internet connection.)
    I expect that there are good housing options for around $100 per month, perhaps even 10 rack units for like $300 per month, so it might make sense to build own servers. (I had to do it because of specific needs for RAID configuration and capacity...)
  8. What exactly is the point of AFKing? So you can brag about your massive (unearned) XPs? - have lots of (pretend) money? Full marks to Aikar on this one. At LotusClan (TF2) and ZBS (when it was in existence) you get 5 min AFK if the server is full which gives you time to go to the loo or get a drink :), then it's the old boot :)
    Silken_thread likes this.
  9. I say we just make the egging of villagers in wild disabled and that should stop the creation of any further iron farm. Literally lol, mojang put iron golems into minecraft to protect villagers from zombies, they Didnt even imagine players harvesting them from complicated farms.
    AlexChance and ZBSDKryten like this.
  10. You've not taken into consideration people who are Wild Survivors and need to be able to Egg villagers to help with the creation of their village, etc.

I regularly have to egg and move my villagers as they all congregate in the wrong place.

Also, you wouldn't be able to place villagers in shops, etc.
    southpark347 and margaritte like this.
  11. Well I guess your right about the wild survivors but I did mention only disable in wild when you said "cannot place villagers in shops" aka town . But other than that, I did not take into consideration the wild outpost people. I guess iron farms will remain
  12. I don't see why iron farms are bad, they are cleverly designed ways of gathering resources efficiently. That is what minecraft is all about isn't it? The market is going to change for iron just like it did for other new additions to the game that were mass produced like food stuffs.
    M4nic_M1ner and margaritte like this.
  13. No, I'm referring to shops in the villages. I've got a Villager in every shop, related to their trade (Blacksmith, Priest, Butcher, etc) - that way, if anyone ever does happen to find my village, hopefully they'll find they can buy what they need to help them on their way (Unless they're busy griefing my village!)
    AlexChance likes this.
  14. Ohhh ok then, lols I Misinterpreted the shop part at first but now I understand . Well then I have no further stance on the iron farm discussion
  15. this is an endless conversation. in my opinion
    iron farms are the same as mob grinders, those gold farms, and sand gens.
    -
    they all have the same formula: (thing)+time= infinite (thing)
    -
    its part of the game.we get rid of iron farms, you may as well kiss mob grinders good by too.
    -
    iron farms are a form of mob grinders. they kill/harm the mob to get its drops/XP

some may disagree, but remember , the economy we have here isn't in vanilla minecraft.

so, getting rid of them is pointless, we may as well throw away the economy if this is the problems it causes.
  16. Well said
    dylan_frenette likes this.
  17. Always been in the wild, never had to re-egg villagers, and truth be told they get on my nerves - always slamming doors! - just like my grandchildren :p
  18. As a village expands, you'll sometimes have to collect all your villagers, and re-spawn them in the centre of your village to readjust the village boundary.
  19. Well, not only about that, but gathering resources is a key aspect :)

... like glowstone, slime balls, ender pearls, ... no big deal :)