Please nerf iron farms

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box Archives' started by AlexC__, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Quite the opposite. US is more expensive. My server4you host is a german company is why they have good prices.

That company does offer some good prices but we need a US host, and we have good standing with our current host and infrastructure.

We are in the midst of hardware upgrade talks, but we can do that painless by sticking with same host, while switching would cause a lot of downtime and headaches.
    southpark347 and ZBSDKryten like this.
  2. Exactly Manic!
  3. If this is really going to become a money talk - then EMC needs to let their financials become more transparent. We need a list of how many supporters there are and how much running emc costs.

Unless you do this emc's financials are your responsibility - you can not use them as a point of argument against anything.
  4. Why do you care about that?
  5. I don't. Just saying, if money is part of the argument. We have no tools to discuss it unless they give them to us.
  6. But knowing how much money they earn won't change anything
  7. It is if they are saying we don't have the resources to let people afk on the server.
  8. I never said financing was a reason. My comments were on waste of server resources.

Manic brought up money and I simply asked what host he mentioned for my own personal knowledge. Money talk is off topic.
  9. It doesn't matters, the fact is that they shouldn't waste money whether they earn a lot of money or just enough.
  10. We play and participate here for months and years.
    Of course we care about EMC and our provider Kalland Labs.

I have the impression that Justin and Jeremy do want to give the community the best possible reasonable value for the money, so it is about how to use the resources to increase quality of EMC.

The questions are whether letting a farm / machine work while afk is
    - playing or not,
    - wasting or not,
    - fair or not,
    - "ruining" the economy or not (I think we've already answered this question).

Playing:
    - I'd say yes, it is playing: you build a machine or farm and let it function. It is also a lot of fun to watch your creation work over days and weeks, adjust, maintain and improve it. Until you get an idea about a farm or machine that will be even more fun to build and operate. :)

Wasting:
    - To play the game is generally not wasting, so if it is playing, then it is not wasting.

- Costs: server hosting / housing is usually flat-rate, usually costs the same no matter how much electricity and/or bandwidth you use - up to a given limit. So leaving avatar logged in won't directly increase server costs. You'd better have flat rate Internet connection, so it as well won't increase your Internet bill.

- Energy and ecology: leaving avatar logged in will use some energy. I'd estimate that - under some estimated average conditions - leaving it on 24/7 would need about 50 kWh per year (costs under $10) and produce about 29 kg CO2, about the same as traveling 75 miles with an average family car. That's on the server side.
    Of course, your PC will use electricity as well, but it will also help heating your house :) so depending on where you live, how you heat or cool your house / flat it will cost something and probably produce some CO2. If you have a biogas plant in your back yard, and you plant some plants while being afk, it will actually reduce CO2 emission overall. ;)
    Plant 3 spruce trees per year (IRL! ;)) and it is from ecological point of view perfectly ok to leave your avatar on-line for as long as you wish and have fun with it :)

Fair:
    - Fair play: If it is a sandbox game, everything that is in compliance with the game rules, with the mechanics of the virtual world (and not based on bug, glitch, heavily modified or hacked client) is considered fair play. Building and operating a farm / machine is in no way cheating. Imposing additional rules and changing them, introducing restrictions and favoring some ways of playing over the other would IMO significantly reduce fun and value of the game.

- Using up a slot on the server: If the server is not full, then there is no resource conflict. If the server is full, then we obviously have to make a compromise and choose to kick the AFK player in order to open up a slot.

- CPU load and lag: again, if the server is more empty than full (like under 20 players) and the CPU load is under 100%, then there is no conflict and it is perfectly fair to use a machine / farm.

Aikar: perhaps you could add server-wide messages when the CPU load reaches distinct level(s) for some time ... like over 90% with 100% spikes when the server can't keep up - within interval of 5-10 min and then perhaps "all-clear" message when it drops under 80% during 5-10 minutes.

If a machine or farm produces high CPU load and causes lag, then I'd say it is fair to
    1) adjust the farm / machine to reduce the load (spikes) until there is little or no conflict,
    2) reduce the operation to the time when there is CPU capacity available (few players online),
    3) ask Aikar to think if some tweaking or improving of parts of the code is possible and discuss if it would make sense, :)
    4) ask Justin and ICC to increase server capacity while becoming supporter or donating to cover the costs :)
  11. 0_0
  12. We should have a leader board that shows who in the server has the most money. That would make the server a lot more interesting.
  13. There was one in the past but taken down due some issues I believe
  14. I've come to the conclusion that the base reason for this thread is not actually iron farms. It's greed. Adding a Rupee leaderboard would aggravate the problem.
    ZBSDKryten, melodytune and Dwight5273 like this.
  15. I think you're right, and I would vote strongly against such thing.
    It would trigger many problems and become poison for the community.

Economy should be about exchange and development.
    melodytune likes this.
  16. Yeah lets ban all malls hehehe except mine :D

As for the iron i bought over a chest full of blocks and sold almost all of them Iron is used in so many items for so many items that I can still sell iron ingots at 7r each ppl with iron farms get bored so have to do it afk or make them selves busy doing something else.

As for AFK as the server get busy there is a plugin that kicks you, but I think it only works when the server is almost full. I am sure ICC or Aikar would know more on this.

Also I reduced my sell price on ingots to deter mass selling of them to the shop, I pay a higher price for iron ore.

the other thing that has started now is gold farming although as this is in the nether I can't see this catching on as much. :D
    ZBSDKryten likes this.
  17. Silken_thread likes this.
  18. I think that if anything is going to be done to golems, they should be made to drop iron ORE instead of ingots. You still get the same end product, but it requires an investment that you cant ever get back (fuel for smelting). Yes, its changing vanilla aspects, but since we can egg mobs, it will just offset that factor which makes farming iron much easier here than anywhere else.
    AlexChance likes this.
  19. And by this logic - blaze farms should only give you "blaze ore", skele farms should only give you "bone ore" and zombie farms should only give .. well yeah .. zombies are kind of useless.
  20. No, you can hug them. Also; they drop dead and give you tasty meat :p
    Alex_K3 likes this.