Phone Talk.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Guilll, Jun 13, 2016.

1. I don't have a phone, a piece of toast works just fine for me
    Guill likes this.

2. My first phone was that thing up there: a Nokia C3. It was my tenth birthday present. We didn't have much money, but I was going into secondary school a few months later and would have needed to call my parents, and my parents didn't want me to feel left out among my friends, so I got that. At first, I loved it: it was my first phone, and I thought it was absolutely magical. Over time I realised that the buttons were becoming harder to press (my fingers were growing and got bigger lol), the camera quality just wasn't the same as what other people in my year group had, and those types of phone were going out of style. I constantly complained about it towards the end of its life.

My second phone was that. I got it for Christmas in 2012. I wasn't happy with it to begin with - it was small and wasn't very visually appealing. I wasn't entirely okay with it until I turned it on and used it, and I got used to it. It set me behind the rest of my friends though, who now had these big nice-looking smartphones that I had originally wanted. I was an ungrateful tween for the majority of the time I had it.

Third phone was a Sony Xperia Z. I got it for my 14th birthday. It was an awesome phone. Come January 2015, I plugged my charger in to charge it, and it turned itself off. And then it did it again when it completed booting. I factory reset the phone, but it continued to do it. My parents blamed me for breaking it when it was a well-known fault of the phone. They didn't trust me with another one.

Aaand this was one is my fourth phone: a Sony Xperia Z5. I got it for Christmas 2015. This one was great. I loved it and I still do. Tiiiiny problem: I smashed the screen about 2 months into owning it, completely breaking the touch screen. Fixing the screen was my 16th birthday present: however, one thing I've learned over this past month is that it's really difficult finding a phone shop that fixes Sony phones - they don't exactly have a reputation for having great phones and none of them are widely used anymore.

Currently stuck with a Samsung S3 Mini. I hate Samsung phones. I hate small phones, and I hate phones that don't work properly. This phone is a Samsung phone, it's a small phone, and it's a phone that doesn't work properly. I'm desperate to get my Z5 back :c

Also, let's do a timeline thingy to clear up the time I've had these phones and stuff!
    Nokia C3: May 2011 - December 2012
    Samsung Galaxy Mini: December 2012 - May 2014
    Sony Xperia Z: May 2014 - January 2015
    Sony Xperia Z5: December 2015 - technically February 2016, but I'm hoping to get it fixed within the next few weeks, so we'll see...
    Guill, 607 and TomvanWijnen like this.
  3. Can I just say am I the only person who was really surprised when one plus released the 3 :p I nearly screamed because I ad no idea it was coming out and it hit me like a brick wall
    this is how I reacted:
  4. thinking about getting a new phone? here is the quickest way to figure out what you need.

Before the butt hurt insues. I nor the picture called anyone an idiot. Just because you own an iphone it doesn't make you an idiot, its just the phone I would recommend to idiots because there really isn't any other reason to get it. it's not your fault you didn't know that or that you are oblivious to the FACT that samsung and... yeah lg too are ridiculously better than iphones. I once owned an iphone. I wanted another one. I got an LG because I was on hard times. boy was I happy about that. Today I have a samsung s6 and an iphone would have to cook me dinner and do my laundry to even have a chance in hell.
    TomvanWijnen and Guill like this.
  5. Some phones may have better stats than the iPhone but it doesn't mean it has to do your laundry for you :p I know you're not trying to call people an idiot or anything, but if I can use my iPhone perfectly well and it does everything and more that I need it to do over almost 3 years then anyone can. The interface is so easy to use. I guess it's just something I've got used to.

The only thing I don't actually like about the phones themselves is the ridiculously high price tag they all have. I will agree with anyone and everyone when they see they cost too much. Hell, that's a fact that they do. I ended up buying one of the older ones at the time because it was cheaper...

But, I'm still glad I bought mine. It's better than my LG and Sony were, and it's so easy to use. I don't have anything against any of the other manufacturers, nothing at all (apart from my Sony going bye bye after 10 months), but I'd still say that the iPhone is a contender for anyone that is considering buying a phone. It just depends what you want and what you've got to spend.

Saying that, I doubt I'd ever buy a 6 or a 6S. I just liked the 5 and the ones before. Eh. This is just a load of random thoughts I had in response to your post :p

Tl;dr: Yeah, there's better phones than iPhones stats wise, but when it comes to interface, apps, what ever, there are all sorts of other reasons that can make the iPhone a good contender. But they do cost too much. So, that's why you could buy a slightly older one :D Or just something else ;)
    cj12115, TomvanWijnen and Guill like this.
  6. That's exactly what I dislike about Apple, FDNY. The interface is so easy to use.
    TomvanWijnen and Guill like this.
  7. You dislike it being easy to use? :confused:
    Guill likes this.
  8. That sounds weird, but yes. They focus a lot on usability, which makes it so you can't do much with it.
    Compare it to Windows Live Movie Maker and Lightworks (Hollywood editing software).
    Movie Maker is easy to use, user friendly and intuitive. Lightworks is hard to get into, confusing for newbies and can be quite frustrating.
    But with Movie Maker, you can only do so much, while with Lightworks you're only limited by your own skills instead of the program's features.

Secondly, I also think Apple blocks way too much. I don't want to have to jailbreak my device to hack stuff, as our school doesn't allow jailbreaking.
    I think Android makes much more possible, even though I have never used it so I can't be sure. In each case, I know my Nokia lets me do whatever I want to the files on it. I might not be able to mod the operating system, but I can at least easily put my own apps on it and rip files from other apps. While Apple tries to block everything. I believe in iOS 9 they even blocked getting files off the phone, let alone on. I want to be able to hack the games I buy. Surely, it has its disadvantages for online gaming as people might cheat, but I think there are better work-arounds and this is way too harsh of a fix.
    jkrmnj and Guill like this.
  9. I use Movie Maker for my YouTube videos. I have more professional tools that I could go to, but why should I change to something else if it does exactly what I need it to do anyway? It's not like an iPhone and, for example, an LG are like Movie Maker and Lightworks, though. I see what point you are making, but I don't think that idea really works. The interface is simple on Apple but you can still do what other phones do. Call, text, take pictures and videos (in HD as well), download apps, play music, etc. In fact, compared to my old Android, my Apple can do even more than it, both in terms of tools and interface capabilities. Obviously I don't have a new Android, but when it comes down to it, the gap isn't so large that it makes an iPhone owner an idiot.
    Why would you want to hack stuff, anyway? What are you hacking? Games? Why do you need to do that? I don't see the point in hacking an app on your phone, but I guess that's just me... :p What does Apple block for you? I can get my photos and videos off of my phone and all of my app data is saved so I can use it on another Apple device or use it in a backup, what else exactly do I want to get/rip? Everything is backed up on my PC from my phone.

I see your point in the first part of your post, but I still don't think that makes Apple a bad choice for anyone. It just depends on what you like.

As for the second part, yes, it's a system. A secure system. Just what I want from my phone. I want it to be secure, I want to call, text, take photos and videos in HD at a moment's notice, message anyone I want over social media, play a game when ever I want, and I can. I can do it all. I'm not limiting myself with my phone, I'm doing the same as most everyone, and I don't see why people like me using Apple are suddenly idiots to some people.

I'd just like to add that I don't think having another phone is bad. But I don't think that having an iPhone is bad, either. I'm not 100% pro either way, I'm just saying that everyone has their preferences and most phones do the same sort of thing nowadays, just with different statistics for each (e.g. camera quality, memory size, processor, etc).
    607 likes this.
  10. Well argumented, I got to say! ;)
    I don't hate Apple, either. I think they're good for the people that can afford it. They should just know that it is not by far superior above the other phones, as the price and popularity might suggest.
    So, after reading your response, I might be coming to a conclusion:
    For casual users, who want to use a phone for simple things like calling, making notes, playing games, all the usual stuff: the iPhone is a perfectly fine choice.
    For, I guess you could say, more advanced users, who like to experiment with their phones and develop their own stuff for it (I know there are a lot of people on EMC who this applies to, I'm not the only one): it's too closed off, and Android is much better to play around with.

I might come back on this later, but at the moment that's how I see it.
    But Apple will always be more expensive than it needs to be. A big part of what you're paying for is the name, not the functionality. But oh well, some people like having an iPhone as a status icon anyway, so that's not a problem. I mean, the same thing happens with cars.
    TomvanWijnen and FDNY21 like this.
  11. I think that would be a safe conclusion to make. While I do not experiment with what ever phone files there are (not really big on that), I am always happy to open up my phone (iPhone 5) and change a battery, and I am working on fixing my new project (iPhone 5S) by replacing the screen, and from there I think I could really get used to fixing phones like that. Obviously, that's not why you buy an iPhone though, so we'll skip past that... :p

Casual, good interface, I love my iPhone 5 because it does the jobs I need it to do well. And that's okay :)

So this brings us on to cost, yes, most high up phones cost lots and lots of money nowadays, more than it needs to be (bar OnePlus, which actually set costs relatively low for such good phones). Not saying it's impossible to get a cheap good phone, but most phones do cost a lot now, and when it comes to Apple, they are definitely more expensive than they need to be. I wish the prices would come down on them, but I doubt that will happen. I don't plan on replacing my phone any time soon, it does what I need it to do, and I'm not afraid of getting out the screwdrivers if the battery goes pear shaped! ;)

As for status, I see what you mean, though that's not what I bought mine for. I know others do, though. Get the latest status icon and they're all the business, or so they think :p Funny you should mention cars... although I'll stop myself before I derail this thread talking about them! :rolleyes:
    607 likes this.
  12. Hi FNDY
    I am a geek on hacking phones :p although I haven't hacked an apple device yet :rolleyes: the last time I did try to it installed adware onto my computer :( but I have hacked a old nexus 7 by gaining root access and breathing new life into a old, slow device(I installed CyanogenMod onto it). Now to my point, Apple block all root folders and even with jail-breaking I don't think you can gain access! Although this wasn't the case on the older versions of IOS, you could easily jailbreak them and do fun things wih them like making your iPad work like a mac! :p. Apple are a very cunning company and will go to any extremes to getting what they want (IK from experience, they updated the old iOS 6 devices so you couldent hack them or even use them properly eg blocking access to the apple app store) .With android rooting can be as easy as the click of a button on the device, and apple now ranges from a software on your computer doing all the to it doing a tiny bit of work and you having to go all CtOs on it (sorry for the watchdog reference, thats how I feel when I hack my nexus :p). Apple is so restricted that you cant even download a third party app while with android you need to download the application package file (APK) and run it.
    607 and FDNY21 like this.
  13. I think it's their way of wanting to have a secure and safe software, but at the same time, I do understand that will have its restrictions... for people like me though, I don't think I'm going to go around hacking, the Apple offers me everything I need to do right now and I don't need anything more from it! :D Thanks for the info though. I remember a few years ago when the older iOS was hackable, but I heard that they stopped that. Just the way it is! :rolleyes:
    Guill likes this.
  14. Today I'm going to answer the following question:

Regardless of price, which is better? iOS, Android, Windows Phone?

The answer?

None of them.

It 99% comes down to PREFERENCE, whatever YOU personally like more, whatever fits you better, whatever worked well at the right time, and didn't mess up at the wrong time, whatever you've grown up with and liked since then, et cetera, et cetera.

---

My personal preference: I like Android more. Why? Because of a few reasons that I'll list in no particular order. (I'll of course miss some, but to give a few points) This is mostly comparing it against iOS, because I admittedly have not enough knowledge about Windows Phone to say much useful information about that.
    NOTE: I have a OnePlus One with Android 4.4.4, so things might vary per phone. Why no lollipop or marshmallow or whatever? Because imo they suck, but that's a different story ;)
    • - I love the customisability. I like setting things up in a specific way, and let's face it, Android just is more customisable. (preference!)
    • - My first smartphone, a little over 4 years ago, was an Android, and I'm someone who generally doesn't like change, so, yeah. (4 years is a really big part of my life :p)
    • - I feel like I have to list it: I can get it on phones that are less than half the price of (new) iOS phones; my OnePlus One was 300 euros, instead of the 700 or so the iPhones cost. Nowadays there are many cheap, and still really good Chinese options, and I expect my next phone to be one of those cheap Chinese phones :p My sister has one, and she seems to be quite happy with it.
    • - Much more freedom. I wanted to install an older version of YouTube, because my internet wouldn't handle 60 fps. I googled "older youtube version", and found a working download link, like, immediately. Another thing: for no reason at all, my phone randomly updated to a newer, imo crappy version (Android 5.1 or so). I cried lots lol. But after finally having installed working drivers on my computer, it was fairly easy to get it back to Android 4.4.4. :D I was happy lol. So I basically completely removed the old new Android, and installed a new old Android, to make it "clear". ;) As far as I know, this is nearly impossible on iOS devices (don't quote me on this, and I don't care about it either lol).
    • - Colour of the OS. Android 4.4.4 is mostly dark. iOS is mostly white and bright. Android 5 and newer are mostly white and bright too. For me: 4.4.4 > 5+ and iOS. I use my phone a lot when it's dark, and it is SOO much more comfortable for your eyes when things are dark coloured, instead of white and bright.
    • - Being able to control more things. At night and in the morning I use a blue light filter, and a screen dimmer, to make it more pleasant for my eyes. This is not possible on iOS, because they don't allow apps to control the screen, or something like that.
    • - The existance of CM Browser. This browser is amazing, and while not perfect (a few little bugs), it has one amazing feature: it allows you to (as an option!) (apart from the phone's onscreen back, home, and multitasking button) browse the web in full screen - it hides your notification bar (you can still pull it down though!), doesn't have annoying buttons --> more space to see!
    • - On-screen buttons. I just like them more. One reason is because they don't require force to press in, allowing me to press it when it's "in a weird, hard to explain position, but it's unstable lol". And, the existance of a back button. Seriously iOS, you need a freaking back button >.> ...
    • - App tray/drawer. I can set my homescreen up in my way, and can make it as clean as I want, or as full as I want, and only have the most used apps on it, instead of moving useless crap to a random folder somewhere :p
    • - Easier transfer between computers. I just plug in a cable, and start moving files, pictures, videos, etc. Takes like 5 seconds.
    This is all I can think of now, and it's quite late already, so I'll just call it a day for now. :) (oh hey, I'm starting to look like shell! I also make massive posts now :p)
    FDNY21, 607 and ShelLuser like this.
  15. The first smartphone I had was the Samsung fascinate. It was terrible. The phone had so many problems and would constantly lock up and require removing the battery. I originally wanted an Iphone so was slightly sad about the fascinate. As I started using it more, I began to realize how much I liked Android. I got an s3 next which was really good and lasted a while before getting painfully slow. Now I have an s6 edge which is absolutely amazing. Yes, the edge is a gimmick, but the phone as a whole is really solid.

As for the Android/IOS argument, I personally could never stay with an Iphone for an extended amount of time but I see the point. Iphones are simple and do everything they are made to do really well. They game well, text well, and are typically very stable with much more support. For the average user, they are fantastic. Android does all of those with less consistency/stability. Even Google is frustrating at times with their support for their own operating system. What Android loses there, it makes up for in power to users. Almost every element of Android can be replaced with something else. For example, here is my current homescreen:

This level of customization is unheard of on ios. You can make your phone look exactly how you want. The lockscreen, texting app, status bar, notification shade, and home screen can be completely changes and replaced. The ios ui just seem boring after a while. Android goes beyond just looks though. Apps are allowed to do much more on Android than they can on ios. Apps like Tasker are absolutely amazing and can be hard to describe easily. Here is a list with some fairly simple actions you can perform with Tasker. It doesn't end there. You can download apps from alternate appstores (amazon has one) or directly from the developer. There are apps in the Google play store that will let you write your own Android apps right from your phone and run them as well. Goog luck even broswing your file system on an ios device. Stock Android will even let you replace Android itself if you are feeling adventurous. In the end, I find it difficult to justify losing all this control switching to ios or windows phone.
    Guill, FDNY21 and 607 like this.
  16. Thanks Guill, Tom and jkrmnj! :)
    That is exactly my view, but I couldn't really give much facts and examples as I've never used Android a lot.
    Guill and TomvanWijnen like this.
  17. I don't know my phones very well, but I've grown up with 6 iOS devices in the house, so they're kinda my home range. They are expensive though, which is a kinda big con. If I were buying a phone, I think I might get an Android, due to the fact that the interface is very similar the that of the Kindle Fire, but I don't know. TBH, my first phone will probably be an iPhone, on the assumption that it won't be my choice.
  18. Inverted colours will probably mess up when using apps :p

Ah, that's cool. Who downloads the latest update though... ;)
    And for that slider, yeah Android (can) has that too, but here I can download another app, with another slider, making the light coming from the screen essentially 0, which is really nice late at night, or early in the morning. :)
    Guill and 607 like this.
  19. UPDATE :) :
    I got the Huawei P9 lite about a week ago and it is AMAZING! It has a 13mp back camera and a 8mp front facing camera. The cameras profuce amazing photos from both cameras:

Front camera

I am not allowed to show my face on the public internet. Sorry you are really missing out!
    Back camera

there is 3 pictures taken on the back camera of the P9 lite :)

This phone is super fast and lagless even playing goat sim! It has a octa-core processor with 3gbs of ram! The P9 lite also has a speedy fingerprint scanner located on the back of the phone which unlocks the phone in 0.5 seconds
    My plan is 1gb of data, 500 mins of calls and unlimited texts for £20.99 p/m
    this is an encredible phone so I would suggest checking it out if you are looking for a 'budget superphone' if you are willing to spend a bit more money I would look at the Huawei P9 or the Huawei Mate S. I havn't used either phones but i have high expectations for them as they are higher specked and higher priced! The Mate S also has a pressure sensitive screen! And the P9 has a dual camera setup on the back!
    One thing that is quiet funny is that Emotion UI (Huawei's skin) is very iOS-like :')
    I really love my new fancy phone, and I would recommend it to anyone!