[OLD] [ATTENTION] Wastelands Reset 10/24/14

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Krysyy, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I hop on my horse, ride maybe a 1000 blocks, and the land is pristine on almost all outposts.
    PenguinDJ, 607, highlancer54 and 3 others like this.

2. Is it not ok to log out in the wastelands for 2 weeks? Just want to make sure.
    Also, the end is not included, correct?
  3. The end is not included since it is shared.
    We request that you move yourself because you will be moved upon regen of the land regardless. It's just nicer for Aikar and for logs that you move yourself =)
    607 likes this.
  4. Then im some exception, i go 95% of the time to wasteland for mineing, its more relaxed because a creeper damagae is not a problem in wasteland, but in frontier i see it as disaster. Also if i need to mine in frontier for make road as example. the resources get stored for later use. But i have time to travel between waste and frontier. optimizing netehrrail for cargo transport etc.
    607 likes this.
  5. Thanks! The in-game warning is great too. If anyone misses that it's because they weren't online this week.
  6. The current organization of fontier and wastelands took many months of planning and discussion. For the most part, it has done what was intended, specifically making updated world generation available upon each major update without messing up existing builds, which are all over the frontier at every distance you can imagine.

The wastelands could be reset more often, but I have not seen major depletion of wasteland resources. As others have said, it's not a long walk from outpost spawns to find unexplored caves and nearly pristine world generation. That means that we would be resetting just for the sake of resetting.

The process is easier to understand for players who were here during the discussion. Before the wastelands, the frontier worlds were so badly abused that you risked your life just stepping off the protected spawn area. Pitfalls and trenches and no ores or trees for miles. Even worse was the world reset before the current frontier. Players had to give up builds from the dawn of EMC (not sure, cuz that I wasn't here quite that long) there was no other alternative at the time. The current setup is such a massive improvement over the old system that it's hard to imagine ever going back.

Let's hear it for fresh wastelands nether!:D
    PenguinDJ, Uber_Corq, 607 and 2 others like this.
  7. I haven't read the comments so sorry if someone has asked this.

Will the waste be reset with the same map?
  8. As a side note, I don't think many people realize that the resets broke wastelands spawns last time in May and a certain person *clears throat* had to go around and fix them all...

So you can imagine my aversion to doing them more frequently =P
    (though Aikar swears that problem is fixed now ;))
  9. I believe the answer you seek is no. It is a new map.
    607 likes this.
  10. Thank you for the reset, I'll make sure I'm out of the Wasteland before it is carried out.
  11. I guess I don't understand why people have a problem with resetting the wastelands. That's the point...

And I remember the old days before the wastelands existed. As soon as you left the safe zone of the center outpost, there was complete and utter chaos as far as the eye could see.
  12. When Wastelands is reset, it always has a new seed, and thus new terrain/"map".
  13. Raised world heights? Do you mean the build limit got raised? I missed that!
  14. It was raised in town too...That was about the time all the skyscrapers showed up...
  15. Wait... Do you mean the EMC build limit or minecraft in general?
  16. I believe she's referring to the Minecraft 1.2.1 update, which increased the world height limit from 128 to 256 (double), effectively tripling the potential skyscraper height.
    B4DMAN5IMON and 607 like this.
  17. Minecraft in general.
  18. Oh wait, 1.2.1 >.> I didn't know we were talking about that far back. It's pretty obvious that I missed that then, because I skipped from beta 1.8.1 straight to 1.2.5, so I literally missed the whole update.
  19. Well, 1.7.2 would be "the last major world update", what with all the new biomes and stuff, but the update that doubled the building height limit was 1.2.1.
    607 likes this.
  20. Yay finally! No more dying in hidden holes (for a while at least :D)
    just_five_fun likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.