[OLD] [ATTENTION] Wastelands Reset 10/24/14

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Krysyy, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I believe that if you are in the wastelands just before the reset, you will be moved into town.
  2. I understand, and would probably make the same decision, but can't blame a guy for asking...
    607 likes this.
  3. The server just said it was rebooting to reset the Wastelands but after logging back in the Wastelands weren't reset on smp8 :(
  4. Getting to it, the reboot was to prepare for it.
    607 and wkramer79 like this.
  5. Just finished caving on SMP 3, Lovely new areas to explore with such pristine land to look at. Thanks for the reset and all the hard work getting done. ;):D
    cadgamer101 likes this.
  6. does the reset do anything to change the mob spawning rate? not sure if it's just me but there seems to be a lot more ghasts around the nether now.

ps. if anyone wants to build a public blaze grinder on smp8, there is a double blaze spawner right near the spawn area. pm me if interested.
  7. It looks like none of the furnaces at the spawn points in Utopia work. They say I don't have permission (container flag).
  8. That is being fixed/should have been fixed by now by Rainbowchin.
    607 and just_five_fun like this.
  9. It is :)
    just_five_fun likes this.
  10. I think lots of people have enjoyed the reset. Lots of items that I (And many others) had got through the past 12 hours. Thanks all for the reset. Very much appreciated. :)
  11. I took a boat. But nevermind, I checked and I'm okay. Thanks
  12. my brother was still logged off in wasteland while reset, and when he logged on he was dead and lost all his stuff.
    Patr1cV likes this.
  13. I'm pretty sure that shouldn't happen because of the reset.
  14. Er... should it look like this? :p

(smp2 Wastelands, South Outpost)
    607 likes this.
  15. lol, fixed
    cadgamer101 likes this.
  16. Sorry about the necromancy and "geek-speak" (for non developers) here. But as a fellow software engineer with a smattering of data warehousing experience I can say with 100% certainty that we can't say what will be revealed, nor its usefulness until such analysis is done. So I'm glad you're for it.

With that said, going into it with an understanding of what the current important questions are, related to region resets will help with setting up targeted Dimensions and Fact tables. -- I'm assuming the analysis would result in a datamart and/or full blown data warehouse to perform targeted and/or ad-hoc analysis.

Additionally it *should* be possible to construct an ETL (Extract Transform and Load) program that allows for validation against non-EMC files, thereby preserving security should EMC want/be fine with a third party developing such a toolset.

To do the validation the ETL developer(s) would need to simulate the current generated chunk count to get an idea of:

a) how long the ETL takes against the simulated data, hopefully giving a rough timeframe for the actual data.

b) are the questions we're seeking answers to actually being answered in a meaningful way. (starting with a small scale simulation would help here, and become more useful as the data volume is scaled up...)

I suspect this would require significant interactions with EMC to get this right.

As for which important questions to ask:
    an important question has already been provided. "For a given chunk or set of chunks, how many torches have been placed/exist?"

Another that I've thought of is "how many 'interesting' blocks/entities have been placed/exist" (e.g. NOT any generated type block, even if it was placed by a player, and possibly excluding all too common of blocks such as cobble.)

And if it's possible "last placed/used date by 'interesting block' type?" This would allow for last-usage analysis, which would allow for rapid identification of potentially abandoned regions and/or structures.

For frequency of use analysis the important question could be, "blocks placed/used/destroyed by a player, by date by 'interesting block' type". This would allow for activity by chunk, by item type, to be analyzed for a given period of time. (This would NOT preserve the player identity, nor care. If 10 people make the same sort of change in a day, for that day this count would read 10, not 1 per player.)

If knowledge of specific players performing the 'interesting actions' were needed, that too could be captured, but as indicated previously this information isn't being stored in the standard MC files, making it more difficult for a non-EMC party to develop.

Regardless of which questions are thought up, I suggest that the granularity of extracted data not go below a chunk as you would be basically duplicating the entire map otherwise, resulting in a massive database size. (possibly in an easier to analyze format tho...)

As well, if time-based analyses are possible and desired, I recommend aggregating like activities on a per day basis. This will help keep data volumes down.
  17. I got to ask you, what's that texture pack?
    Perry_Stahlsis likes this.
  18. Guys... This is an old thread so stop bumping it

Said the double-poster
    just_five_fun likes this.
  19. That is a very lot of data mining speak.:D I agree with many of your comments on specific concerns regarding scope of project and granularity of data. Some of the EMC anti-greif features will be able to additionally provide information about players or player specific activity. While this project is interesting to me, it is low on a very long list of updates and enhancements currently backlogged. If my time was free and unlimited, I might still never get around to producing an application to convert this data to human readable form. For current practical purposes, daily reading of forums and regular player interaction is best for revealing player goals and interests.

This was fun. I had a grilled cheese sandwich with my word soup.;) Wonder what % of players would read and understand all this mumbo jumbo.
    sambish20 and Perry_Stahlsis like this.
  20. Said the bumper.:rolleyes:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.