Official 1.4 Snapshots Thread

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by chickeneer, Aug 23, 2012.

1. First of all, I sincerely apologize to people following this thread as I got busy with some other things and missed the Week 41 Snapshots all together. If you would like to download the Week 41b snapshot it is in the First post - but I will try and get everything caught up to the present up until now.

First off, Mojang released the newest snapshot today.
    So within the next week - expect the Pre-release; and then the full release on the 24th.

Snapshot 12w42b - October 18th Download Link

Ok, several new features being crammed into these last few snapshots. The "b" part has been mostly bug fixes.

First we have the New Anvil. This screenshot shows the most up to date Crafting recipe reducing the Number of Iron Ingots needed from 55 to 31. Also notice that while I hover my cursor over the Diamond Pickaxe in my inventory it looks a bit different. In 1.4 you will have the option to use F3 + H to activate this feature. The first part of it being it shows the Data Value of the Item (what you would use /iteminfo for), than the second part is - that you can see how much durability is left for your tool. This will be useful information for The new Anvil.

One use for the new anvil is to use it as a weapon. Just like in the classic Cartoons where you drop an anvil on someones head. Same basic concept. The higher you drop it from - the more damage it does. I do believe you can eventually break your anvil through such abuse - but haven't quite figured out all of the mechanics behind that.

With the Anvil, obviously you can use it to repair Tools. You can either combine them together or (for example) add diamonds to strengthen a Diamond Pickaxe. You can also Craft "better" enchanted Tools by combining Enchanted Items to make a better Pickaxe, shovel, Bow, etc. while still staying within the limits of what is "possible" to craft.

Note: all of these functions with the Anvil require the ever so powerful XP points.

One more really cool feature of the Anvil is the ability to name Tools. Such as the bow seen above. It does cost XP This will be one of those features - that (most likely) similar to books. Will not work through the Vault. So if you change servers with a named Tool - the Name probably will just be blank.. or reset to default.

Ok, before I mention the Redstone Configuration built here. Notice I have the F3 Screen pulled up. In 1.4 - they switched things around. You no longer need to press shift to hide the Graph. Automatically when you press F3 it pops up without the Graph. Shift will show the graph.

Ok, the best way to explain the new function with Repeaters is just to copy and paste straight from the Minecraftwiki page :D

Changed repeaters
    • When powering the either side of a repeater directly with another repeater, it will lock the current state of the other repeater until the signal to the powering repeater is turned off.
      • If a repeater that is on is locked, it will stay on.
      • If a repeater that is off is locked, it can not output a signal
    • When locked, the repeater's second torch will no longer be visible and a bar textured similarly to bedrock will appear
    Mojang will be doing an overhaul to the Redstone mechanics in 1.5 along with fixing the Lighting mechanics. So be on the lookout at that stuff after 1.4 is released.
    I skipped over a ton of Smaller Bug fix related stuff - of course if you want to find out some more specific things. Go to the snapshots Wiki Page.
    I doubt I will be making a new thread for the Release of 1.4 (or pre-release) due to Time limitations for me. I encourage someone else to do this. And if I find it is sufficient I will probably link to your thread when it comes time. 1.4 is almost here, don't forget to enter into the Pretty Scary Contest - Deadline is just in just 3 Days!
  2. Yet it probably won't have 1/15 of the awesome redstone features of the RedPower mod... man, how I wish regular redstone was more like RedPower's redstone.
    SoulPunisher likes this.
  3. Updated the OP.

1.4 Pre-Release - October 19,2012 Download Link
  4. Not sure if anyone had addressed this, but, the MC wiki says this about 1.4 update:
    • All hostile mobs
      • Will now jump down to players as long as they can survive the fall
      • Depending on difficulty, they are willing to take more damage
    • Creepers
      • Will start exploding when they hit the ground, with explosions being more imminent with higher falls
      • Can now have custom explosion radius and fuse timer using edited mob spawners and NBT tags
    So, creepers will now jump down and explode when they hit.
    If this is not modified for EMC, then it seems like a decent amount of the wild will be blown up, including mob traps where they fall (which is most mob traps). Also, roofs and ground may be blown up (since you cant really kill a creeper mid-air fall, where as you can on the ground.)

I would rather not have things people built in the wild destroyed/griefed by creepers simply falling.
  5. Reminds me of the AI in Left 4 Dead, many a game is had to see a boomer falling to it's death and exploding lol.
  6. I think you misunderstand what it is saying... I was not aware that they will now jump down a bit. Nothing wrong with that :p

Creepers don't explode when the player isn't in the immediate area. This just means that if a creeper starts falling in on YOU (not falling in general) it will start its countdown earlier.

Besides - I don't know what kind of storms you have seen in Minecraft, but I usually don't see creepers falling out of the sky all of the time XD
    mba2012, jkjkjk182 and pietdagamer like this.
  7. Dammit, Mojang! All of my alpha world redstone mechanics will be broken -_- And so will my beta ones.

FML
    Fudge My Life.
  8. Question : Shaun said that in 1.4 mobs spawn on half slabs. Is this true?
  9. This is true. :D
    SoulPunisher likes this.
  10. Noo Hoo hooooo!
    This will destroy auto gold farms! :(

Unrelated q, how do you insert polls in to threads?
  11. ?unselated?

You can only insert polls at the time of creation of a thread
  12. fuuuu.jpg
  13. Like marg's gold farm in Utopia, you line the signs on the side, and just shoot the pigmen down the area :p
  14. >_< typo.
    I mean how do you do it.
  15. Umm, it isn't to difficult. Just go to create a new Thread (don't post it) and look towards the bottom of the page
  16. Hey, you there! lol, Mojang has pushed back the release of 1.4 to Thursday October 25th. and they have released a new pre-release. Disappointing, perhaps - but necessary.

1.4.1 Pre-Release Download Link
  17. Creepers just got worse
  18. lol, they could be worse. Just be more friendly to them. More Hugs=Less Destruction
    penfoldex, mba2012 and jkjkjk182 like this.
  19. Chicken do you have any idea when 1.4 will be here for EMC?
  20. We don't know - We have to wait for Bukkit to make a "stable" version for the 1.4 update. I don't know everthing about that particularly. Justin and Aikar can only prepare for that on EMC's end.

I wouldn't be able to give a proper guess - But we will get it out as soon we can of course :)