[New] EMC Market Buy/Sell Portal - Suggestions/Bug Reports

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussion' started by azoundria, Sep 16, 2014.

1. I've done a quick change from http to https. If that doesn't fix it, I will have to look further tomorrow night.
    tuqueque likes this.
  2. I had the same thing yesterday, even though i know my password is correct it refused to let me use the auto reader.

On a side note, this is a good concept for a site having crowd sourced data available makes shopping much easier but i have noticed that a lot of the data is out of date. Also the shopkeepers interface is rather lacking or not well labeled, for example on my account page i have the option to remove items but i cant see a way of adding new items, just a link to the bulk adder would be good like when you view the shop from the shop page there is a link to add items to the shop but not from the account page. Another change wold be the ability to change/edit listings from the account page so if you want to change a price or qty you can do it there.

Just one last suggestion for the bulk adder, how about the ability to paste a comma separated block of text which the site can parse to get data for example...

Potato, 1, 1, 0
    Apple, 1, 10, 0
    Apple, 10, 90, 0

So it's the same format as the bulk item adder and you just code to parse each line taking the item name, qty, buy price, sell price and adding it to the database. If the item already exists in the shop for the same qty then its an update so a change of price. you could also remove stuff by using something like "Potato, 1, 0, remove.

Otherwise this is a useful site but i would like to see some development for the sellers point of view just to make it easier to manage a shop, you might get more people using/updating their shops.

Thanks for the work you put into this.

Ian
  3. i think he fixed it, mine works now.

also many shopowners use it, it is only out of date because they either havent sold the item recently, havent stocked it recently, or havent uploaded their transaction page.

i keep mine updated every few weeks so i stay somewhere near azoundrias prices

a little trick i learned that helps instead of manually putting in the info:

use your alt to buy and sell every item, then load his transaction page

takes a quarter of the time and updates your prices easily.
    Kyzoy likes this.
  4. It would be good to have a setting that limits age of the used data, like "show only data not older than 60 days."

@azoundria:
    I've set up an "updater" that reads rupee log of my shop and sends updates to your database using http get - same as when using the website. I have the problem that your database uses different names than the rupee log.
    Could you please post the list of names, like <rupee log name, your id, your name>?
    Does your script check both the id and the name?

It should not be a big problem to add more enchanted tools.
    Regarding names I would prefer "Diamond Pick U3E5ST"
  5. I've added a CSV import/export feature.

No guarantees it's working perfectly, I'll be doing more testing later. Please report any bugs you find via private message.
    tuqueque and UltiPig like this.
  6. Use this tool all the time, however I do wish more shop owners would use it... especially considering the bulk add option that does it all for you. 10/10 :)
    607 likes this.
  7. Import/export is much faster than the bulk add feature.

All you do is:
    (1) Use the auto-reader. Leave that run in the background while you eat dinner or sleep. This should get most things up to date based on what people bought/sold to you recently.
    (2) Log in and click 'Export'. Enter your residence. Download the CSV file and open it in Excel or a text editor.
    (3) Look it over, make changes, add any items which are missing, adjust any prices you may have changed, remove entries that don't apply, etc... then save it.
    (4) Upload it again on the same screen where you downloaded it from.

And voila (or viola if you like music), all your shop prices are updated to match the spreadsheet. If you change prices, just update the spreadsheet and upload it again.

I was just able to update all 9 of my shops (finally I know xDD) in about an hour and a half. (Not including my time using the auto-reader but I didn't actually have to do anything for that.)
    tuqueque, 607 and AmusedStew like this.
  8. Found a bug here. Most of the prices per unit are incorrect.

EDIT: the price seems to be per equivalent in logs (per 4 planks). That's confusing.
  9. You're searching a category 'Wood', which includes both logs and planks (all usable forms of wood). To make things easier, they're converted to a common unit, logs. The fact the screen is entirely filled with planks is more a testament to the fact that people generally buy and sell logs, rather than planks.

I agree it is confusing in that context. I'm not sure what to do. Wood is measured in units of logs, as that seemed more the standard at the time. As I said, most people buy/sell logs. To use units of planks would be a possibility, although everything would have to be converted, and wouldn't that be just as confusing if the screen were filled with logs? Arbitrarily switching based on which item is on the screen would be even more confusing.

Another option might be to display the common unit of the category. I will have to think about that.
  10. Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Just have it written somewhere on the page.
    I just don't get why you did that for planks/logs but not for the gems and their blocks. The logic is basically the same.
  11. If you use the 'Show Comparable' feature you get that. It shows items you can buy in order to craft the item you want, or items you could craft and sell from that item. To take an example of diamonds, the buy page will now show blocks and individual diamonds (since you can craft diamond blocks into diamonds), while the sell page shows both in addition to various products you can make with diamonds such as tools, armour, jukeboxes, etc... So say you had a bunch of diamonds, you know how to get the most value from them.

You could of course, 'Show Comparable' with Oak Logs, for example. However, that's not going to show you any other types of wood. That's where categories come in - when the item is equivalent in most cases but can't be crafted back and forth. Like logs/planks, wool, or different flowers.
    tuqueque and Birosquinha1 like this.
  12. Hi Everyone,

I have just finished adding all the 1.9 (and 1.10 which may be out soon) items to the website, with icons.

Please add any shops you know of that are buying/selling these items!

Also, if there are any items missing that you know of, please let me know. The following are known to be missing but there's no conceivable way to add them:
    • All the variants of enchanted tools. (Of which there are hundreds.) Only the unenchanted versions, EMC promos, and a few of the most common variants are listed.
    • All the variants of banners. (Of which there are hundreds.) There is one Banner item.
    • All the variants of shields. (Which use the same system as banners.) There is one Shield item.
    • All the variants of horses. (Of which there are thousands.) There is a Horse Egg and common EMC promos only.
    So don't report the above, but any other items should be reported if they don't exist. Including EMC promos, new 1.9/1.10 items that I may have missed, old items that never got added, etc... Make a list of items and PM to me or post here.

Also, if anyone wants a job helping to update shops please let me know. There are two roles:
    1. Secret Shoppers
      Go around an assigned shop and screenshot every chest. Put extra details in chat in the screenshots if it isn't clear what item is being sold there. 10r/screenshot. [Now Hiring]
    2. Data Entry People
      Use a variant of the bulk add feature to take the above screenshots and convert each one into one or more corresponding buy/sell listing(s). 20r/listing. [Not Hiring Yet - Still Developing Tool]
    M4ster_M1ner, Kytula and tuqueque like this.
  13. Chorus Flower
    Dragons Breath
    Elytra

An interesting idea.
    A screenshot is not enough, one has to try to buy (with full inventory) to check that a chest is not empty and try to sell (without having the item) to check that the chest is not full.
    There are many shops that didn't update the prices and have empty or completely full chests for long time.

I have little idea about how much effort would be needed to develop a small mod that could read the signs, but then again, how many people would use it? Perhaps the mod could have direct connection to the database and answer questions like "who sells coal". But still, how many would install a mod?

Aikar actually wanted to implement this himself at one point, but the majority was against that, some of them said that it would "ruin the EMC shopping experience".
    If you ask me, the EMC shopping experience is a terrible one if you don't have a list of good shops and you try to use /v +shop and /v +mall.
  14. Most variations are not sold. Most people aren't searching for an exact mix of enchantments on a pickaxe, for example.
    ie:
    No shop sells Eff 3 Unb 2 Fortune 1, and nobody is going to go searching for that exact pickaxe.

This site is not well suited to those types of items.
    Added. Somehow I was thinking that chorus plant couldn't be grabbed and forgot about the flower that can :p And I even helped my friend harvest some.
    Didn't know about Dragon's Breath.
    And Elytra I had the image ready for but forgot to put the database entry.
    I also noticed that chorus fruit didn't have the icon set up yet so that is fixed as well.
    If a shop doesn't work it gets marked 'out' or 'full' on the site. It disappears for a couple days, then most of a week, then over a week, then longer and longer until it's effectively never going to appear again. All it takes is one person each time to visit the shop and mark it full or out, then it's updated for everyone.

On the other side of the coin, there are a lot of people who do return from time to time to produce more items for their shops, and a lot of items that sit there completely unbought or unsold for long periods of time. So even in shops that lay dormant for months, there are good deals to be had.

If you know where the items is, it takes about 15-30 seconds to visit a shop and report a listing as sold out. So in my opinion, that's an inconvenience but not a serious impediment to finding the item. The much bigger problem is when you can't find the item and it's a large or confusing shop. There are also shops that have removed items, so the item doesn't even exist anymore. In these cases, you can't really know if an item is Out, Full, or Gone unless you search the whole entire shop meticulously. There are multiple plans for addressing this issue:
    • Allowing shops to group items into sections. When a player searches up an item, it tells them which section it is it in in the shop. So, if it's lapis, you know that for that particular shop it's in the Ores/Ingots section, not Wool/Dyes. It is possible to specify sections when you import data, and this is saved, but it doesn't affect anything yet.

• Adding screenshots of shop chests. You know what the chest looks like, other items which are nearby it, and if the shop has totally changed the way it looks. This can be really helpful. Screenshot takers are instructed to screenshot the section then the items, and repeat for each section of any sectioned shops. There are plans to use that information.

• Cleaning up shop listings. When shops are fully screenshot, it is now possible to completely clear out all the old listings and only use the screenshot listings. This gets rid of all the items and quantities of items that a shop used to sell but doesn't anymore.
    tuqueque likes this.
  15. Still can't find "Dragons Breath".

I understand you'd like to help people not only find a shop with a good deal, but also find the item within the shop.
    Not an easy task.
    How about asking shop owners if they would like to do the work or pay for the effort?
  16. Cleared out the suggestion cache. Try now.
    tuqueque and M4ster_M1ner like this.
  17. Found it now, thank you! :)
  18. I'd like to be a secret shopper. Just let me know how I can help!
  19. items missing are 1.11 related so:

Polar bear egg
    Llama egg
    Shulker Shell
    Shulker box
    Totem of undying
    Treasure mansion map (EMC version)
    Treasure temple map (EMC version)
    Enchant book:
    -Sweeping Edge
    -Curse of Binding
    -Curse of Vanishing