Netherhounds a drama since 1.11

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by RichRayM, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Do they talk to you? Do they tell you to do bad stuff? #DoNotTrustTheHounds
    Sell them to Cruella De' Vil's Coat Shop....Best furs around.
  2. Not bad stuff.
    They whisper things like "EMC is the best Minecraft server", "NEVER leave EMC", "we just want a hug"
    khixan, Sgt_Pepper4 and MajorHaze like this.
  3. Them not despawning is not completely bad. But the spawning rates and other mechanics are severely broken as a result. Our fix will probably be similar to minibosses which don't immediately despawn but will despawn if not engaged in combat for a certain amount of time. Also, there is some issues with the spawning mechanics which allow them to reach such extremes. A balance must be found which respects player difficulty :)
    khixan, AyanamiKun, 607 and 5 others like this.
  4. I did read in the past on the forum something that mobs take the difficult level from the user that where around when the did spawn. So mabye that's the case.
    khixan likes this.
  5. this is very true the difficulty means a lot but they do not despot which is the issue there were 3 groups of hound at my base the other day and they are still there.
    khixan likes this.
  6. shell & me went mining in the nether this evening (diff 5) and i like it how packs come after u. also b/c they always kill shelly and leave me alone ^.^

makes the nether more dangerous :mad: if u keep ur eyes open u can spot hounds from a distance, get a good bow (god bow) and start shooting. just got 7 diamonds, dragon stone fragment & 60 gunpowder from fighting doggies, thats good stuff!
  7. Totally agree!! It makes the nether more fearsome and grouping more fun!! Had fun seeing you guys out there. Before the hounds most people went alone to claim the quartz or fortresses to themselves. I see this as plus.
    ShelLuser and khixan like this.
  8. Maybe we can have them spawn in huge groups , and have lower difficulties nerf the attack? So if some players don't feel like dying to a mega pack they don't have to, but if you want nether danger, you can have it. Play it your way.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  9. They got me twice the other day before I could retrieve my stuff. I hadn't died (other than mob arena) for probably 9 months. The pack was huge and there was no way I could get on top of any blocks. Got everything but a chest and ended up with 23 diamonds and a boat load of xp. I was just fortunate I could get back to where I died easily. There had to be 60 of them.
    Sgt_Pepper4 and ShelLuser like this.
  10. Or maybe it could be a sort of miniboss for the nether? Have Mega packs spawn in as often as momentus or marlix and have a cool message appear. Like the pack searches for prey. Or.. something. Have neat drops with same chances as other mini bosses.
  11. Here's our chance to spice up the nether somehow and still maintain play your way.
  12. 138 confirmed netherhound kills last night in just over an hour. There were more in the area that I didn't get, too.

ShelLuser likes this.
  13. yeah their spawning behavior has def changed. they dont despawn and if you afk in the nether they fill up entcount pretty soon
  14. I have noticed recently that nether hounds have been spawning singularly, not packs spawning. I had never seen that before.
  15. i thought i noticed that, until they howled for assistance. then there was like 30 of them out of nowhere
  16. They're howling but nothing else is coming. And these were new spawns. I have run into this approximately 30 times in the last 5 days and have not run into any instances of groups of hounds at all.
  17. So last times I went into the nether I got killed by nether hounds nearly every time. Today I managed to bring home a really nice haul (13 stacks of nether quartz, so effectively 3+ stacks of quartz blocks) and I made it out alive. Even though I was also jumped by a pack of hounds.

I noticed a few things...

First: you can spot nether hounds from a distance, and they won't attack unless they also see you which only happens when you get closer by or when you attack them. So just like with digging in nether rack you always need to be prepared for the unexpected.

Second: listen to sounds. If you hear chickens dying then that can be a very clear sign that there are nether hounds present. Simply because they always go after chickens. I know chickens are somewhat rare in the nether, but if you hear this then be alert.

Third: when you see messages "Nether hounds difficulty was 5" (or another number) then don't assume that other players are killing them. Sometimes they commit suicide themselves and you still get these messages. I don't know why though. But it can be a clear hint that they are nearby.

I came across several of these messages and there was no one in local chat nor did the map show me anyone around. You can /map hide to hide from the live map, but /c l, /c who doesn't cover that.

And as some others already said: pillaring up is a very sure way to keep safe a bit. Especially when you're lagging a bit and they run like crazy.
    BlinkyBinky likes this.
  18. I encountered a few packs of Netherhounds over the weekend and noticed that they no longer blow up before I can get more than one hit in. The difference may be that I was playing on difficulty level 6 for a long time then changed to level 5 or I was wondering whether that behavior may have been disabled because of this problem. Whatever the reason I enjoyed rather than dreaded fighting them this way since it was difficult but not impossible to succeed against them.
  19. Whoever fed the nether dogs below my yellow retreat house can find their stuff in a nearby chest.

I need to learn some mailman tactics or figure out some way to make the tunnel less dog friendly. Doors and walls help a lot since I only have to fight one at a time. Maybe I should dig some pits and install ladders. Do dogs climb ladders?
    tomtark and ShelLuser like this.
  20. Every time I go to the nether to mine a double chest of quartz blocks, there is a pack of Netherhounds waiting for me. This has never happened before. Also, it looks like more hounds spawn somewhere nearby after the first pack is eliminated.

I'm not sure if I'm correct or not, but I have noticed that only the last Netherhound will blow up when it is killed.
    ShelLuser and Pab10S like this.