Netherhounds a drama since 1.11

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by RichRayM, Jan 12, 2017.

1. interesting
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  2. what if we farm them for quartx?
    Sgt_Pepper4 and Equinox_Boss like this.
  3. Much more efficient just to mine for quartz tbh. Quartz is extremely common.
    607, Equinox_Boss and UltiPig like this.
  4. I acknowledge there is an issue. We did not change anything specifically towards Netherhounds with the 1.11 update, so we need to investigate further what changed the behavior mechanics. I would be willing to bet it has something to do with wolves no longer despawning. So we need to re-add that mechanic. (Although I believe it to be a bug the number of netherhounds I have seen near spawns as well).
    Echelon815, FadedMartian, 607 and 3 others like this.
  5. This is one of my more favorite bugs. It seems to have a story, netherhounds always stick together.
  6. True enough. The Netherhounds do not despawn. I've logged on and off and it's been 48hrs and the same netherhounds that spawned in a pool of lava are still there.

Here is my experience with the netherhounds today on smp2.
    https://empireminecraft.com/posts/1286615/
    Equinox_Boss and Merek_Shadower like this.
  7. Uh oh. Legions of ever multiplying, never despawning hounds are slowly but surely taking over the nether. :eek:

Jadziaa, 607, JohnKid and 6 others like this.
  8. Oh , well. It's something else then cats that rule the world. :cool:
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  9. I was just attacked by 30 to 40 hounds. I took out about 18 or so before I died. I wasn't prepared for 30 to 40. (I lost count). I built a public Ghast farm and it needed to be cleared. It certainly has driven up the price of quartz. It's a bug I don't mind either as it makes the nether more fearsome. However I got sick of taking out so many and wanted my stuff back. (as they were guarding it) So I logged off set my miniboss or whatever that tag is to off went back and they were still there.

I said screw it threw on my voters gear and weapons and died several times taking them out. Strength 2 did nothing to help even tho I changed to diff 1. The nether is fearsome now and even tho I was upset I died (I take pride in my survival skills) I cleaned them all out so people can gather a few Ghast tears without fear of death.

I can kill wild running Withers easier lol
    AyanamiKun, 607, JohnKid and 3 others like this.
  10. Keep in mind that there's sometimes a cooldown in effect. If you set your difficulty then it doesn't always work right away, especially if you just have been into combat.

Always re-use /diff to check your current effective difficulty. That's the thing in effect.

For example: I normally play on difficulty 6, but when I play together with Aya (grouped) we always play on 5 to balance things (I go 1 notch down, she goes one up). So then my difficulty is still 6, but my effective difficulty is 5. And as said: if you just been in a fight when it could take a few minutes before your new settings take effect.
  11. Yeah, my effective difficulty was 1. I died multiple times and respawned on diff 1 but they were still tough to fight.
    or maybe I just stink at fighting them...which is very possible xD
    607, ShelLuser and Equinox_Boss like this.
  12. got swarmed i could not kill them so I decided to automate it.....
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  13. Those darn dogs got me too (at difficulty 1). I lost a bunch of enchanted mending armor, weapons, and stuff I was moving to Hazard County. Getting killed near a distant portal is really bad when your spawn is on the other side of the portal. When you pass through the portal, the dogs pounce.

I've started to add doors to my nether tunnels to slow down pursuing canines. I'm thinking of adding a few dog traps (pits) too. Does anyone know if netherhounds can climb ladders?
    Equinox_Boss likes this.
  14. Have no fear. This is being looked into. I had all GOD gear and died. Many times by these things. I learned to fight them or die. The nether has now become fear full. I have now to prepare for Hell potions, gear,and backup friends

Hey Chickeneer, Akiar Let me add more dev team members. This is exactly what you wanted and so did EMC on a vote. More team expeditions. Now a Nether expedition would encourage group outings. Similar to the Dragon tombs that are supposed to be happening. Here we now have to group to mine the Nether. This is getting ready for Aikair's vision years ago. Let this stand I say.
    ShelLuser and Sgt_Pepper4 like this.
  15. With the previous minecraft version i never have seen hounts that climb ladders.
    I always killed them from higher place and the did stay below the ladders. Bow !
    ShelLuser likes this.
  16. I tried the Difficulty 1 setting as well. Logged off and back on to make sure that diff 1 was in effect. When I killed them, the message was effective difficulty was 5. Also, there seemed to be the normal actual difficulty in killing them.
  17. I guess it can be hell trying to kill these Mega packs of netherhounds. Haha. I'm interested in the nether now that it can be dangerous no matter what.
    Roslyn likes this.
  18. Although this situation is a bit extreme, I've never liked that enraged mobs can kill you then disappear. In other games, you can aggro too many mobs, pick fights you are unprepared for, lose for lack of tactics, or simply not be paying attention, but you can also regroup then come back prepared and exact revenge. Some of the most memorable times I've had playing games with mobs were spent cleaning up misadventures I caused for myself and practicing the lessons I learned from them. I wish I could have that here more often.
    607, ShelLuser and Sgt_Pepper4 like this.

19. I'm not positive about nether hounds, but most mobs will no longer walk over tracks. If your entrances only have tracks going in/out you should "in theory" be safe from them coming in.

I have completely sealed nether tunnels (piston doors) ant the entire tunnel is spawn proof.

Some other things to stop nether spawns (besides the slabs): rails, buttons, levers, carpets, redstone dust,?comparators, repeaters, trapdoors, all of which will stop mob spawns.
  20. .

I can confirm they do not despawn. I have a pack right outside my nether tunnel for over a week now. It is sealed, so I just ignore them. But I can see them.