moment of silence

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by iball6119, Feb 21, 2013.

1. I laughed manically as well. The absolute lack of common sense in the stabbing scenario was extremely entertaining. :)
    I would rather shoot the scumbag dead so that the only witness is myself. No real questions to ask.
    Officer: "What happened here?"
    Homeowner: "This idiot broke down my door while my family and I were in bed. I responded to the noise and found him in my home with that weapon there. I proceded to shoot him, center mass, before he had a chance of harming me or my family. Here is my legal weapons license, my drivers license and these photos here are of me and my family. This is my wife and my children, scared here in the bedroom."
    Officer: "Alright then. Please file a report, and come down to the station to verify your identity. You are not being charged with anything. Your family will be relocated while the coroner and the investigator completes their duties."
    Officer: "Off the record, good f-ing job! What kind of guns do you own?"

This may not be verbatim, however this has happened IRL. I am not afraid to kill an intruder with a weapon. As soon as you cross the threshold of my domicile. I will not stand idly by or be so stupid enough to "stab a criminal in the legs" allowing him to live and try to sue me for excessive force. Once you incapacitate the individual, you must then render aid to the best of your ability. If you kill the scum bag, nothing more to do but wait, unarmed, weapon cleared and out of reach, with your Government or State issued ID and your legal Gun License (dependent on your state). GA only requires Government or State issued ID if the shooting occurs on your property. (Home, vehicle, land etc.) If you or the criminal cross over the line of the home, there must be evidence that the individual was attempting to ingress your property in a life threatening manner. Otherwise, just coming to my door and jiggling the handle will get you shot dead. :)

Welcome to real life scenarios.
  2. Umm, in canada almost no-one owns a gun. do we hear all about terrible shootings or mass murders in canada? noooo
  3. Could we PLEASE stop this conversation, I want to respond with my views, but I am stopping myself. Could we all do the same?
  4. 1 word. Move Away..

Wait that is 2 words.. Maybe if it's a compound word?
    1 May not be Legit Compound Word: Move-Away
  5. SoulPunisher and Twitch1 like this.
  6. actually i was talking to someone about that todya that canada doesn't have as many guns but the person to gun ratio is the same as america :) factual imformation
  7. My mum and dad have bills to pay, which are almost paid up now. I think I am going to be moving house anyway, the back door's been broke for 2 months and we have constant leaks and the land-lord doesn't give a crap.
  8. I believe the land lord is required by law to hire someone to fix your back door. lawsuit?
  9. Yes, he is. The only thing he's bothered with in my house is the streetlight in my front garden...don't ask why that's there. But I like it.
  10. A few things, and please forgive me if these have already been said, and forgive me for restarting this tangent. I haven't had time to look through the whole thread. I know this gets a bit wordy, but bear with me (The first sentence or two sums up what each point will say). And if you don't take the time to read the whole thing, please don't comment...

1. Very few people are talking about banning guns altogether. Most public figures who support more gun control only want to ban military-style "assault" weapons.

2. "Criminals will get guns anyway, so we law-abiding citizens should be allowed to have them too." That's a law enforcement problem, not a problem with policy, and yet, it's a valid point. This said, according to the Washington Post and Mother Jones, of the mass murders that occurred between 1982 and 2012, almost 50 used guns obtained legally, while only around 10 used illegally obtained guns.

3. "What about hunting?" I've only been hunting a few times in my life, so I can hardly claim to be an expert, but I'd guess that using a lower-powered gun (like a shotgun, perhaps with a deer slug) would be plenty effective at bringing down game.

4. "I need a gun to defend myself and my home from intruders." There's nothing wrong with this statement. But seriously, is a shotgun not enough? I'm pretty sure a shotgun is plenty, and could even be comparably more effective in untrained hands because of its spread. It's also worth noting that a study by an Emory University professor found that of 388 homes that had experienced homicides, only 3.6% of the killers were strangers (that is, intruders), whereas 76% were people that the victim knew. It also found that the presence of a gun in the home increased the murder rate by 2.7 times, when correcting for factors such as drug use and domestic violence. This increase in murder rates was due to firearm homicides only.

5. "I need a more powerful gun to defend myself against the government in case it decides to infringe on my rights!" The US military has over 8,000 tanks, over 18,000 other armored fighting vehicles, over 7,000 mortar systems, 15,000 aircraft, including over 6,000 helicopters, 10 aircraft carriers, over 60 destroyers, over 70 sumbarines, and to top it all off, over 7,000 nuclear weapons. And your high-powered rifle is going to do what exactly against all this?

6. Twitch1 mentioned at the end of one of his first posts, that he has "the good damn sense to think before I act!". The problem is that many people don't. If everyone could be trusted to keep a cool head, this wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, people lose their cool and do irrational things.

7. About the statement that high gun ownership doesn't necessarily lead to high gun crime (think Israel or Switzerland). In fact, Israel's gun laws are some of the tightest in any country. In order to get a gun, you need to prove that you have a need for it (i.e. working in a high-risk area), and in order to keep it, you need to return to the licensing agency every 6 months and assure them that you still need it. And in Switzerland, they've begun keeping privately owned guns in depots, rather than in private homes.

8. MOST IMPORTANTLY in my humble opinion: According to the CDC, about 2/3 of gun deaths are suicides (in 2010 for example, the number was about 63%). As for what effect removing guns can have on this number, in 2006, Israel began requiring soldiers to leave their guns on military bases when they went home for the weekend. Previously they had been allowed to take the guns home. Since they began this policy, there's been a 60% decrease in weekend suicides in Israeli soldiers. This didn't correspond to an increase during the week. As someone who has had to talk a friend down after he'd found his father's gun, this statistic hits particularly close to home.

And now, a moment of silence for the over 30,000 Americans silenced every year by guns...

-Jabr
    Jeanzl2000 and rock00888 like this.
  11. Gun ownership vs. Gun Deaths

Now lets put this into perspective!
    USA has >75 per 100 owners vs. 0-5 Intentional homicides per 100,000 people....
    Check out Central America: 10-30/0-10 per 100 owners vs. >20/10-20 Intentional homicides per 100,000 people...
    So tell me, how is this going to change for the best?

Very few countries have low gun ownership and low intentional homicides. Many of them have a direct opposing ration for gun owners to intentional homicides...

Took a long time not to find an ignorant, biased graph showing only ownership. Of course the USA has the highest ownership but the murder rate is one of the lowest!
    Daxter9133 and cddm95ace like this.
  12. Thats cause its Canada :D
    Everyone has the right to participate in this debate, and express their opinions as long as they are respectful. I really don't think you need to restrain yourself, or you could head over the Argue/Debate thread, we are currently discussing gun control there as well.
  13. L
    it just seems like the wrong place, there is a whole other place for this, redwig posted it.
  14. Scroll down to the bottom for a tl;dr. Read the whole thing for some (I thought, at least) shocking numbers. If you don't care about the numbers and are willing to read a little bit, scroll to the "***"

A few things worth noting about the map:
    - The US is the ONLY country on the map with >100 guns/100 people.
    - Compare the US gun death rate (about 10/100,000), to other highly developed countries (Britain: .25, New Zealand: around 2, with a spike to around 3 in recent years, Australia: about 1, and the list goes on). The US may have one of the lowest rates overall, but compared to other comparable countries, it's a lot more dangerous.
    - This chart only has homicides, and does not include other types of gun deaths. For example, some math*:

# of suicides per 100,000 people per year in the US: about 12 (I'll round to 10 to make the numbers easier)
    Average life expectancy in the US: 78 (I'll round to 80 to make the numbers easier)

10*80 = 800

So over the average American's lifespan, there's an 800/100,000 chance of suicide. ( =.8/100 = .8%)
    About half the suicides in the US are via guns (6.3 per 100,000 people), so we'll cut the calculated rate in half.

.8%/2 = .4%

What does this mena?
    It means that slightly less that 1 in 200 people will take their own life with a gun.

I'm not saying the US is the worst offender in this area. Only that it's a problem. Not even the biggest problem (look at heart disease for one, as a >20x more common killer of Americans). But a big one. Think of how many people you know. Think of how many people went to your high school, your college. How many work at your company?

Twitch, when you say gun control isn't a problem, I say look at the 20 current students at my university who will, statistically, one day take their own lives with a gun. Look at the 2 students from my small private high school who will as well, one of whom already did. Look at the friend I talked down last year. Then talk to me.

Remember the Israeli policy (removing guns from the home, and keeping them in secure locations, though for this example, not military locations), which dropped suicide rates by 60% when it was in place. Imagine something similar happening for civilians in the US, and imagine 12 of those 20 college students, and 1 of those high schoolers, surviving because they didn't have access to a gun when they wanted to end it all. Then talk to me.

I believe in the Constitution. I believe in, and thank, all the men and women fighting and dying in foreign countries for my continued freedom, as well as all the people who keep me safe here at home in the US. I also believe that it's time for a real talk about what works best to stop these problems. It's time to look around, to see what works and what doesn't. It's time to try something new, something that hasn't been tried before, and to see what happens. To cut through all the bullshit that the hardcore liberal and conservative factions are throwing every which way. To stop fighting over the right to kill and start fighting for the right to live.

All this said, I don't even believe this should be an issue. Gun deaths don't even make it onto the list of the top 10 causes of death in America. We focus on the flashy stuff, things like the Hollywood-esque gun massacres, or the fear of terrorism, rather than the much bigger, and very real problems of heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and the many other problems we face as a society.

tl;dr - The chart doesn't tell the whole story. Also, why talk about guns when things like heart disease and cancer still plague us?

-Jabr

*All of my numbers here come from the WHO.

EDIT: Twitch: props on the graphic. I know how hard it can be to find an unbiased one about stuff like gun control :p
    Twitch1 and cddm95ace like this.
  15. Well we're on the forums, it's naturally silent here.
  16. not sure what you're referring to.

Also, wait, I'm the only one who yells at their computer screen? :D

(Note: the above is falsehood. I don't yell at the screen. Most of the time. Except for that time I lost like 10k of stuff because of lag...)
    cddm95ace likes this.
  17. The title. :3
    JabrZer0 likes this.
  18. ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... ok :)
    IamSaj likes this.
  19. Rather than argue with you further, as I am not fully awake yet, I will commend you on your well informed postings. I enjoy debating with you as you have a vast knowledge and understanding that is rare to find in most internet users. :)

I do agree with many of the things you discussed, the suicide epidemic specifically, although the numbers are significantly higher in the U.S. Military than in the civilian population and we make up less than 1% of the U.S. population.... :(

Suicide is a significantly disturbing aspect of society. Many of those who go on rampages typically commit suicide at the end of the act, many of which likely (although unproven...) were suicidal in the beginning and felt the desire to commit the heinous act as a method of payback on their supposed aggressors (society as a whole).

Mind you, I can't provide solid evidence, as those individuals who commit suicide do not leave behind an exact explanation of their motives. The ones who do not commit suicide lawyer up and hide behind an insanity plea, thus leaving out the true explanation of their motives as well....

In the end, as you said there are many more issues plaguing the U.S. as causes of death. Many related to simple, preventable diseases such as certain cases of diabetes, cancers (alcohol/tobacco related), overweight, etc.

The reason gun control is brought up so strongly and consistently is because the U.S. Media (controlled explicitly by Government and their financial supporters) is running this smear campaign on legal firearm owning citizens on the false basis that it will disarm criminals....

The government has something up their sleeves, and I will not fall victim to it without a fight.
    cddm95ace likes this.
  20. I was in the utopian Nether and I saw this guy who got hit by a wither skeleton and he fell into lava. I forgot who it was but he has beast armor. and a lot of stuff in his inv. He said it was 55k worth of stuff that fell in the lava with him.