State of Bukkit: Dead? Now: Sponge Powered

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Aikar, Aug 21, 2014.

1. I mean... technically - I looked through the decompiled version of both bukkit's .jar and minecraft's vanilla .jar ....

To be honest, they look very similar

The Com section has avaje and mysql - Doesn't have mojang.

It has yml versions of the configs.

The org includes bukkits, json.simple, apache, fusesource, sqlite, and yaml.snakeyaml (inside of those include all blocks and entities and commands within minecraft)

It has a separate native section for linux, mac, and windows individually.

It has a separate io.netty section for bootstrap.

It doesn't include a yml version for configs.

Though the craftbukkit might seem massive at first, it looks easier than it seems:

package org.bukkit.craftbukkit.v1_7_R2.block;

import net.minecraft.server.v1_7_R2.TileEntityBeacon;
    import org.bukkit.block.Beacon;
    import org.bukkit.block.Block;
    import org.bukkit.craftbukkit.v1_7_R2.CraftWorld;
    import org.bukkit.craftbukkit.v1_7_R2.inventory.CraftInventoryBeacon;
    import org.bukkit.inventory.Inventory;

public class CraftBeacon
    extends CraftBlockState
    implements Beacon
    {
    private final CraftWorld world;
    private final TileEntityBeacon beacon;

public CraftBeacon(Block block)
    {
    super(block);

this.world = ((CraftWorld)block.getWorld());
    this.beacon = ((TileEntityBeacon)this.world.getTileEntityAt(getX(), getY(), getZ()));
    }

public Inventory getInventory()
    {
    return new CraftInventoryBeacon(this.beacon);
    }

public boolean update(boolean force, boolean applyPhysics)
    {
    boolean result = super.update(force, applyPhysics);
    if (result) {
    this.beacon.update();
    }
    return result;
    }
    }

Except for the imports of the org.bukkit (which actually just refer to other subcategories within other folders and packages) ... the net.minecraft.server.v1_7_42.TileEntityBeacon; in this case is already on the default vanilla jar...

The main difference is in the MinecraftServer.class itself ... it refers to the resources.zip and uses the items based off of that instead of having all the blocks listed in a package (in bukkit)

...so... I think it would be very feasible to have a few people completely re-write a decompiled version of the 1.8 jar (and then re-compile it) so that way plugins could use it like a dependency ...

(hopefully we don't have to do that... but just saying... we 'could' ) eheheh :p
    just_five_fun likes this.
  2. :(:confused::):eek::):D:D;):p

Easy as pie.

( I understand what you actually meant, but taken out of context, I found it to be very silly )
  3. oh hehehe - i mean like basically just use the older bukkit's .jar as reference ... and write our own dependency system :p

That is if there are no new craftbukkit releases or if mojang isn't going to release their own system for plugins to be able to work in minecraft or if spigot isn't going to update their own system.
  4. Aikar I never really thought about this, how do you pronounce Aikar?
  5. Pronounce it like Eye Car.
    607 and PenguinDJ like this.
  6. That's what I thought. People need to make there names simpler, not something like George11212. (Says the one who's name is jjhhgg100123)
    tedrocker and 607 like this.
  7. hehe - bet you can't pronounce this account's name ;)
  8. ek-lek-tee
    eklektoi likes this.
  9. Spigot has now been DCMA'd.
  10. Aka - wolfe didn't really have the right to try and force everyone to end an open-source project

That's just like for example:

Someone invents a guitar

I learn how to use that guitar... and write a book on it to help guide people.

People use my guide to learn how to play and write their own songs...

The songs are out there for a long time... people listen to the songs, give it to each other... etcetera

Then I try to make everyone stop playing their songs and not learn from my guide - and to give them back because I said that I wrote it...

That's very similar to what is happening here... which is ill-practical, breaks the lgpl agreement, and doesn't give him the full-right to enforce it, considering he wasn't the one who 'made the guitar' and it was supposed to be open-source...
    607 and kevdudeman like this.
  11. That guys comments been pretty countered, and I don't think he's right.

This guy doesn't understand what Wolvereness has done. The entire time, the Bukkit team has been violating the GPL by using Bukkit (GPL) In CraftBukkit (Supposedly LGPL, but its not).

The thing is, EVERYONE has known that CraftBukkit was a legal nightmare. It's kind of hard to give the product a license when its a derivative of a decompiled software, without authorization to share.

What the guy in the reddit failed to understand, is that the reverse engineering clause in the US does not give the user the right to then distribute the reverse engineered code. You can only reverse engineer for your own use, and you can't distribute the decompiled data.

Otherwise, what would stop people from decompiling software they paid for, releasing source that compiles back into a working application? Then that would be "legal" and we know thats not.

They absolutely did not have the right to decompile minecraft, create a derivative work, and then re-license it open source.

Wolvereness has now called out his previous project for this violation, in the essence that Mojang has not legally authorized CraftBukkits actions.

So, it means CraftBukkits license is invalid.

Therefore, with CraftBukkits license being invalid, it is no longer legal to use GPL software in CraftBukkit.

Bukkit being GPL REQUIRES that CraftBukkit be GPL, which it is not and can't be unless Mojang Open sources everything.

But this guy actually can make some fair points but not 100%:
    https://pay.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/...eep_using_that_word_i_do_not_think_it/ck8ez4h

If Bukkit was ONLY an Interface, then Wolverness would be wrong, but many parts of CraftBukkit calls into CODE inside of Bukkit. Bukkit is code + interfaces, which is going to make CB a derivative work.

It's all a mess. I hope mojang can figure something out quick.
    jkjkjk182 likes this.
  12. Well I remember on the 21st ... dinnerbone said this:

To make this clear: Mojang owns Bukkit. I'm personally going to update Bukkit to 1.8 myself. Bukkit IS NOT and WILL NOT BE the official API.

not exactly sure what this entails .... but I do know that mojang so far hasn't really gave any indication that they wished for people to 'not' be able to use plugins ... they might try to make their own api system for people to use their plugins off of instead of using bukkit... However, for them - having both bukkit and spigot go offline would be a huge market drop for them... people may stop playing and tell their friends not to get the game .... which I don't think they'd be willing to part with.
  13. Status Update:

1)Things got worse today. GitHub repositories were shut down by DMCA too, including Spigot (which doesn't even contain the complaintiffs code)

2) Mojang also posted publicly on Bukkit forums that Wolve has no merit and they are fighting his claim.

3) Spigot posted that they think the only way out of it is to remove Wolve's code (which still leaves the project vulnerable to the hundreds of others who contributed)

4) I sent an email to Mojang with my thoughts and interpretation on proving that craftbukkit does meet the GPL

In other words - It's all out war in the Minecraft Server world.

At this time, its unclear if there will ever be an actual 1.8 update. Mojang was intending to do it themselves (Dinnerbone), but after all this, it may be held up.

We will update to the latest 1.7.10 that lets 1.8 clients connect, but the future is uncertain at this time.
    607, PandasEatRamen, FDNY21 and 2 others like this.
  14. In your email, did you subtly mention your opinions on the EULA? :p
    Seanawesome14 likes this.
  15. No, I think they clearly know many believe they screwed up =P
  16. Oh geez. :eek: The Wolfe means buisness. Hopefully in court it gets cleared up or Atleast mojang can continue bukkit with compromise or atleast SOMETHING. Plus I don't even think it is legal to enforce the claims.
  17. I love the Eula,since it creates an "even" field, I many other servers allow to features to be access by any player rather only supporters...
    FirstJugBurgerz, ewils, 607 and 2 others like this.

18. However* without supporters ... on 'any' server... there would be 'no' server ... supporters are wait pay for it (at least good servers anyway) - I could always host mine off my computer, but unless I have good internet, I'd need a good host.

----------

vubui posted this yesterday)

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/mojang-and-the-bukkit-project.309715/

---only thing I don't understand is he says minecraft server software is not included... yet I decompiled it few days ago - and it was there?

... also Chickeneer, I saw you were one of first people to comment on that thread XD
    cadgamer101 and chickeneer like this.