Minecraft 1.9. What do you think?

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by Ritunn, Dec 12, 2015.

1. What is affected by the spam clicking change? Just PvP? Does it only affect use of a sword? How will it affect our fights with mobs or mining? What about XP grinder use?
    Shadow_dcord likes this.
  2. Why can I only like this once
  3. It's turning into terraria. I hate terraria
  4. I know you're merely sharing an opinion but I also have some questions about it...

Yet isn't that also where you see real skills develop? A small side-step: formula one. Under normal circumstances you see teams which have better engines drive off into the distance and often winning races. But the moment it starts raining, which will make the track slippery and putting everyone in the same conditions, you more than often see things change dramatically: now that bigger team can no longer fully rely on their more powerful gear and they need to use skill and strategy. Better yet: I've seen drivers from smaller teams (usually driving in the rear and occasionally scoring a point or two) actually overtake these veteran drivers.

In other words: it relied more on skill and less on materials and gear.

I can't help think that the same can apply here.

Where any shields used? Because then you can protect yourself from arrows and while doing so your swing time will recharge. Should also give you an opportunity to move closer.

Yet that doesn't prove that only the delay was an issue here. I mean: nowadays you also got a shield which protects yourself from several kinds of attacks, eating food heals you a bit, and there's the dual wielding aspect: you can attack with a sword, then attack with a bow while your sword recharges.

Still, one thing I haven't mentioned so far: lag. I can't help wonder if lag won't affect combat even more severely. At least right now a hit will register as a hit. But in the new setting the delay should also be taken into account. Yet what wiht lag?

One thing though:

You might be right there. My impression is that Mojang fully focused themselves on PVE and not so much PVP. I mean; more intelligent mobs, the delayed swing and shield, the end structures...

Aya and me also have been playing with the snapshot a bit this weekend and yeah, I can agree with you that it will definitely be a controversial release. I can't help think that there's a lot of change made for no obvious reason other than the change itself. There are some very solid new features and changes, but there's also a lot of odd stuff in there.

For example: I hate the new sounds of opening doors and clicking buttons. That's not a cool new sound, it's merely the old one run through a bandpass filter and that's it. And according to my somewhat trained ears I'd argue that they did a sloppy job as well.

Speaking of sounds: the witch suddenly makes noises too. Pretty odd ones for that matter. I also don't like that part either because witches used to be just as creepy as creepers, but a little less deadly. That is: they don't kill you instantaneously, but you knew stuff was up when you heard glass break. No longer.

I do think the new fighting mechanics are interesting, but it can definitely negatively affect things as well.

Seems that you can still somewhat pull players towards you a bit.

Well, judging on my overall experiences with 1.9 so far I'll probably stick with 1.8 for some time to come for singleplay as well. Some things just don't add up :/
    It affects all combat. So the moment you use your weapon to hit a mob then you can hit it again real quick but you won't do as much damage as normal. Instead you're better of waiting for a timer to expire (approx. 1 second) and then you can hit while doing full damage again. This affects PVP as well as PVE.

Would also affect grinders, but I don't know how much. You may be able to compensate for that a little because mobs usually don't need too much damage to die (you can even kill some with food or such).
    Nickblockmaster, 607 and PenguinDJ like this.
  5. The one thing about the new "swipe" (when you hit after a full second) is that it hits multiple entities at once:

6. That's only half true. The 'swipe' attack only damages one enemy. The others are only dealt knockback.

I did do a swipe hit, but if you look closely you'll see that only one mob had the damage particles.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  7. You're only excited about witch sounds? Have you played the newest snapshot at all?
    • Squid sounds
    • Hit sounds
    • Shulker sounds
    • Different button/pressure plate sounds
    • Weapon sounds (swipe, hit, crit, etc)
    • Armor equipping sounds
    • Shield sounds
    Pab should also note that each weapon has a different recharge time (Hoe, Axe, Sword are all viable weapons now).

I will look at what everybody is so negative about and make rebuttals. I love the 1.9 update, it definitely made combat better.
  8. I am liking the new 1.9 update. The one thing that bugs me is mobs straif so much.
  9. Well it's nice to see that people are looking and the really good things.
    ForeverMaster0 likes this.
  10. The combat overhaul looks interesting, but i'm not looking forward to actually pvping with it. I think PVP servers should stay on 1.7 and not update to 1.9
    Edit: To those saying that the current pvp has no strategy involved, have you ever actually pvped? There's combos, crits, sprint hits, strafing etc.
  11. Not much has changed with the second hand being introduced. You can still only use one weapon at a time (Just tested, you cannot shoot a bow and use a sword at the same time).

Wrong. The new mechanic introduces new ways to fight, now you can actually use more than just a sword. Bows can be used for when your weapon is recharging AND shields are great to protect yourself while you get back attack strength. The other guy can keep on fighting you to destroy your shield and you are left with nothing.
    Also, another thing to consider: Durability. If you keep attacking a mob hit after hit, you will lose durability faster.
    Link? As far I as I see it, the team can use shields to gain ground on the bowmen and kill them.

Looking at the PVP, it looks like they made it longer on purpose. When you go into PVP, you usually keep attacking until the other team dies, you both don't go away from each other to heal up. No, you go towards the guy who is running away and finish him off.

Click speed is not skill. It's like playing one of that fancy Mortal Kombat (is that the title of it?). If I spam a single button the entire time and win, it's not skill.

It's only split up because people are too stubborn to adapt and change.

I think it would be better to have mobs like the Marlix drop elytra. I don't like the idea about end teleports; I would rather have a command that launches me some distance into the sky so I can fly with ease.

It's still not like Terraria at all. Mojang added no new weapons, only new potions.
    I did some survival playing, it does damage mobs. I think they have to be a certain distance away from your OR it is just random. But I can confirm that it does damage mobs.
    607 and ShelLuser like this.
  12. Except in 1.9 it's really easy to be good at PvP, too easy in my opinion. When we remove skill aspects of the game it becomes too boring IMO.

I don't think lag will play too big of a roll in PvP, well, more than it did before.
    1.9 will either make or break Minecraft.
    The fishing rod is actually used to push people away in PvP, not pull them in. That allows you to get double/triple/more hits on someone. Taking away the rod takes away a huge skill-based item.
    Definitely agree there. I personally won't be playing 1.9 unless I absolutely need to. I'll be on 1.7/8 servers only, I guess. 1.9 just isn't fun to play for me.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  13. SkyV_15 makes lots of good points in my opinion.
    Sky_v15 likes this.
  14. Not quite. I did some testing, and the "knockback" attack definitely deals damage. Not as much as the primary mob you hit, but damage nonetheless.
  15. Responses in Orange.
    Oh, and not being able to discuss other servers severely weakens my argument.
    Salpai and ShelLuser like this.
  16. Defending my home of the uhc community they need to keep click speed "The Combat Update" more like The Combat Nerf Update. I don't like nor do I think the uhc community likes it IT SUCKS beside the Elytra ^_^ I MEAN THEY EVEN NERFED BOATS! WAT
  17. infact on some servers I use 1.7 to pvp :p
  18. Hm... not too sure... there are lots of different things added in this update, but nothing as awesome and game-changing as armor stands, scoreboards, /setblock, hoppers, command blocks, et cetera.
    I'd say the cooldown on using a weapon. That should be quite game-changing, actually.
  19. They more so upgraded boats not nerfed them.
    Salpai, Trapper777 and kevmeup like this.