Mending Enchantment Concerns?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AmusedStew, Mar 26, 2016.

1. AmusedStew, that's not how economies work. There is an idea in economics called creative destruction. Once a better item or process becomes popular, it can cause hardship in specific industries — for example, many people lost VHS-related jobs when DVDs and STBs took over their market, however the people benefitted as a whole because of access to new, better technology. You would agree that it was a good thing that the government didn't try to hobble the DVD industry, right?

Similarly, in EMC, the Enchantment industry may suffer but people mining items won't have to repair their pickaxes, and thus the cost of all mined items will be reduced; more people will be able to use elytra because people won't have to always buy new ones; new industries to feed the demand for XP (I'd wager most people don't make enough to mend all the damage to a full set of armor and tools) will grow up; and the added source of income from these treasure enchantments will make caving and exploring more lucrative.

Mods — please please please don't let special interest groups cause you to mess with vanilla.
  2. I see nothing OP about the enchantment. Repairing a diamond tool from zero durability to its max durability would take awhile (without access to a good source of XP), considering that one XP repairs only two uses.

I know it won't cause enchanted book customers to disappear because tools will always break if you're not careful.

I personally think the new Mending enchantment is really cool. I am hoping to be able to sell Mending-enchanted books in my shop right when Empire Minecraft updates to 1.9. Since it is a level one enchantment, I will be able to sell it for 105 rupees each. :)
    Seanawesome14 and Eviltoade like this.
  3. This enchantment can't be made from table I thought? Only found in dungeons, etc.?
  4. Really? Can't they only be found in dungeons and the like?

EDIT: Looks like I Kloned ThaKloned.

EDIT 2: Completely unrelated but do you still have that sand business AmusedStew, I just found a voucher for it that's like a year or two old...
    ThaKloned likes this.
  5. Indeed, and on villagers plus with fishing.
    The enchanted market is already destroyed and cheap, may as well keep the thing going because who uses deep strider? (looked so useful at first) frost steps thing is useless unless wanting to imitate jesus and walk on water for some reason. and mending.... welp maybe a good side is that I can see people thinking they are OP by having undestroyable gear (nubs) and die off thinking killing one monster could instantly regen full armor. 2 durability per XP gained is still op but yeah we will need it for the end cities.
    Oh Yes! the end will kill so much players I might start getting clients again :eek:
    The enderdragon will kill so much players too if you can summon him.

Anyway, let it be like that at my opinion, a lot of death factors as been added to balance this.
    JesusPower2, TomvanWijnen and UltiPig like this.
  6. I believe the main purpose will be that it works even when you're on a horse, so you can cross oceans with a fast horse pretty quickly.
  7. Oh my with this game's logic it could happen lol
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  8. All this talk about ruining the enchantment market is triggering me. Now all I can think about is back when the max enchant level was 50, and it required more xp to get there than 50 does now IIRC.

I would make sense to me to adjust the mending enchant. It clearly was not intended to be implemented in an economy setting. If I were in charge of changing it, I would adjust it so that certain tiered tools would get less benefit from it. Having unbreaking on the tool? The xp repairs roughly 1/x the normal amount, with x being the average durability modifier (ie unbreaking III effectively makes a tool last four times longer, and thus it takes four times as much xp to repair). Other enchants could have similar effects proportional to their value and effect.

It could also adjust based off of the tools vanilla "enchant" level. A loaded tool would take much more xp to repair than an enchanted tool.

*kinda vanishes*
    tuqueque, UltiPig and PhoenixAffinity like this.
  9. Personally I support the "leave it be" crowd. I'd rather see afk xp farms completely nerfed than removing something that has an active component. With one exception, I think people have figured fishing with mending is a little OP, perhaps preventing the enchant on fishing rods is a good idea.
    Trapper777 likes this.
  10. I have a song to share with y'all that I think succinctly explains what I believe about this issue:

FoxyRavenger and ThaKloned like this.
  11. Does the repair cost go up when an item is repaired through Mending?
  12. 2 durability per xp

Basically prevents you from getting xp unless all of your tools and armor are full of durability.
  13. What I am referring to is the amount of XP per point of durability increasing over time. If I Repair using an Anvil, the XP cost increases each time I use it. In vanilla, it eventually becomes too expensive. Here we have it capped at 39.

If Mending works in this way, it is basically an auto-Anvil, except without the material cost(Diamonds or whatever for the repair and iron for the Anvil.). I would say don't mess with it in that case. If not, well, I would still prefer it still be left unchanged.

If anything has messed up enchanting as a way to earn Rupees, it is Villagers, but I don't see anyone asking for them to be crippled in order to save "the market". Things change. Let it be.
    JesusPower2 likes this.
  14. Well, the answer is no.
    2 durability per xp is the constant rate.
  15. that could always be changed.
  16. Now that we're talking about 1.9 enchantments, there's two things I wanted to know:
    First, will frost walker work inside protected areas and people's residences? Will there be a flag for it?
    Secondly, will special attributes on items (like the extra health given by Momentus' Helmet) work when the item is on the off hand?

Edit:
    Why exactly is that? I don't get it :confused:
  17. Did some testing, and I hate to say it, it does need nerfing.
    • 20 zombies (19 normal, 1 baby) - No mending
      • 7 3/4 exp
    • 20 zombies (19 normal, 1 baby) - Mending
      • 6 3/4 exp
      • Fully repaired sword
    Basically, there is no downside other than a few missed xp. Maybe...

• Not paired with Unbreaking
    • 2 xp > 1 durability
    • Or Aikar could add a questionable spin on this and make it on a per-kill basis
    AmusedStew likes this.
  18. We have not touched the frost walker enchantment yet, if there is a special policy surrounding it - we will announce it with everything else. But there will be a flag for it under the buffs flag (like all the other buffs subflags).
    And I would assume the extra health would not be given when you are only HOLDING a helmet. Only makes sense to work when you are wearing it.

Edit: misunderstood the frost walker enchantment. It will likely be tied in with the build flag (similar to crop trampling). Not sure on a specific flag for it at this time
  19. Yeah, I can't say that I have personally tested it. May be fine as is (making the thread unneeded). Hard for me to stipulate, so I am just taking the let's discuss it ;)
  20. Well, I just did test it. :p
    It renders unbreaking completely useless unless you really need that extra bit of exp. Only place I see where mending isn't useful is when you are facing something with very high health.