Melody Quiz

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by 607, Jan 9, 2022.

?

What 'genres' of music do you regularly listen to? (choose if one applies)

Pop/Rock/Metal 9 vote(s) 75.0%
Video Game 2 vote(s) 16.7%
Film/TV 1 vote(s) 8.3%
Classical 5 vote(s) 41.7%
Jazz 2 vote(s) 16.7%
Other 2 vote(s) 16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hi, it's me again!

On another forum I saw a game that seemed fun, and I participated. It was way too hard for me, though. :p I tried to make an easier round for you! :) Let's see how this goes.

Format
    You will get five melodic transcriptions from pieces of music. These can be from pop songs, video games, classical music, et cetera. You get them both as an mp3 file and as a pdf. If you can't read sheet music, you are only at a minor disadvantage.

Aim
    It is your goal to identify what each melody comes from. Send me a pm with all the melodies that you identified, giving me their composer/author/performer (whichever applies), track name, and album/origin. I'll let you know if you weren't complete enough.

Rules
    You may use YouTube, Wikipedia, Spotify et cetera to help you find the required details. So if you recognised a melody but don't know its composer, you can look it up, or if you know that the melody is of a popular song from a certain artist but don't remember which one, you can listen to a few to find the correct one. You may not, however, ask help from other people, either on or outside EMC. You also shouldn't use something like Shazam.

Proceedings
    I will accept submissions for each round until a set date. After that the person who got the most tracks right wins 10k. Every person gets 1 CP for every track they got right. If there is a tie for most tracks right, the person who submitted their finds the earliest wins. You can submit as often as you want, so if you've for example pinpointed two tracks but have a vague idea for another, do send me the first two already, in case you don't end up finding the third and nobody else does either.
    Unoski likes this.
  2. Send in before Saturday January 15th, 11:59PM EMC time.
    I tried to pick melodies that most of you will have heard; the challenge is in finding where you've heard them! :D

Sheet music
    Audio

This game is also a way for me to practise transcription; do let me know (in your pm of course) if you think I've made a mistake in one of my transcriptions. :)
    Egeau likes this.
  3. Ahhh I only know 3 :(
  4. Looking forward to your submission!
  5. Remember that you can use YouTube etc to help find the answer! You shouldn't use something like Shazam, though—not sure if it'd work, but don't try. :p I just added that to the rules too.
  6. Bump! I've received no correct submissions yet; have you tried already? :D
  7. Last bump!
    As it stands now, if you send in any correct identification (remember you can use YouTube or Spotify if you're not sure) you will win.
  8. Mancub and I are working on it now.

So far, the first melody seems pretty alien to us. I'd wager we may need to phone home for a clue.

#2 is a mystery atm.

The third one is worrying. Currently racing to find an answer. But rest assured, we are on the right track to the answer. Here we go!

The fourth definitely has us in a trance, or a spell you could say. May have to indulge in some butterbeer to recognize this one.

#5 is a mystery. Leaning towards classical?
    607 and UltiPig like this.
  9. I could recognize 3 and 4 in a heartbeat. I love video game music and classical music. :)
    607 likes this.
  10. Naughty, giving hints before the deadline. :p
    I didn't actually get a submission from you, but I guess that makes sense, as collaborating isn't allowed.

I did get a couple more submissions tonight! I was expecting that I wouldn't be able to pay out the 10k. :D
    Thanks for your interest, I will post the answers in a bit!
  11. Answers

I got five submissions in total! Two of them got anything correct. There are two other people that have said that they knew one or more of the melodies, but sadly I did not receive any submission from them.

Here is the link to the audio again. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PEWVatPt9DsLrQ3EJS_bTYgtY0wvQUws/view?usp=sharing

John Williams - E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial - Flying
    https://youtu.be/7AR6KQOiNHA?t=12

Luckygreenbird and Progryck got this correct! wafflecoffee got the right composer, but didn't get to the right theme.

Queen - A Night at the Opera - Bohemian Rhapsody
    https://youtu.be/fJ9rUzIMcZQ?t=256

Nobody got anywhere close on this one! I do honestly expect almost everyone that listened to the melodies has heard this song before, but it's probably not the most well-known part, and moreover, I think this one is a lot harder if you just listen to the wav file. When you don't have the sheet music, it is very awkward to get the beat right, because of the triplets and the rest on the first triplet beat. I guess that makes it hard to recognise it!

Koji Kondo - Super Mario World - Overworld theme
    https://youtu.be/tAaGKo4XVvM?t=5

Luckygreenbird got this one right! AncientTower and waffle got the composer right, but didn't find the right theme. Progryck actually found this melody in Super Mario World's Athletic theme, but I cannot count that correct, as on that track it is a perfect fifth higher, and the tempo is also significantly higher. Very close, but not close enough!

Peter Iljitsch Tchaikovsky - Swan Lake - Swan Theme
    https://youtu.be/9cNQFB0TDfY?t=63

Luckygreenbird and Progryck got this right! wafflecoffee correctly identified it as classical music, but didn't get further than that. I wonder if the people who didn't get it right, do recognise the melody, now that they know what it is?

C418 - Minecraft: Volume Alpha - Living Mice
    https://youtu.be/5baJg-Ldgl0?t=121

Nobody got this one right, and that greatly surprises me. xD I guess lots of people play Minecraft with music off? It's such a beautiful soundtrack! Waffle did correctly identify the soundtrack, but didn't get the theme right; I didn't know what theme it was, either, I had to listen to a little bit of all tracks with names that seemed familiar on the Volume Alpha album. I guess waffle didn't fancy doing that.

I paid out the rewards!
    I quite enjoyed doing this, but the game seems to be a lot harder than I thought, even though I tried to pick familiar melodies. Would anyone enjoy a second round? :) Because I'd like to make one, but if nobody will try again, it'll be somewhat disappointing. ;) I'll try not to make the picks any less well-known!
  12. I'm sensing a tiny bit of a pattern. :p
    UltiPig and 607 like this.
  13. Heh. :p Looking at it like that, I see I've worded it slightly differently each time, that's cool. :p
    wafflecoffee likes this.
  14. That last track is nostalgic... too bad MC Java Edition doesn't play music constantly. :(