[Legal counting forum game] Counting with four fours

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by Egeau, Jan 11, 2018.

1. 39 = 4!+4^sqrt(4) - (N choose N)^4
    ok thats kinda cheaty with the variable but im struggling to come up with a way to make a 1 with just one four, any ideas?
    short of using variables that is
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  2. That's nice!

3. Why not? I looked through the settings the first time we used it in class, and saw that it also had a Dutch language, so I put it on it. I also thought that since I had to do maths in Dutch now after 3 years of doing maths in English (TTO) (stupid Dutch rules thingys say that) I could just as well put my calculator in Dutch too. There are not that much words anyways. There's proven to be another advantage; when turning off test mode, it's easy to see which is mine. :)
    607 likes this.
  4. I wouldn't do it, because it makes me have to think when I see a term or am looking for a term, as I need to translate it to English before I get what it means. Also, when looking through the Catalog, often things aren't where I expect them to. But I suppose if you never got used to the English language setting, it's not as confusing... still though, programming in BASIC in Dutch just feels weird. :p
    What do you mean by this? Test mode did not yet exist in our line of calculators.
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  5. (on phone & lazy)
    1: I (was forced to) switched to Dutch maths in V4, and got my graphical calculator at the same time, so to prevent even more confusions I put it in Dutch too (and hadn't yet used it in English, so nothing there to be confused with). :)

And so far I've only really used my graphical calculator for actual maths things, not for "playing" around. :p

2: *Exam mode, whoops (examenstand). It's a setting that has to be on during tests. It clears the memory, blocks a few things (amongst others apps), shows that it's on by turning the top bar thingy blue and turning on a small light on the front that briefly turns on every few seconds, and likes to have "battery" for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and in between breaks too (-> it slurps battery >.<). You need to connect it to another calculator via a weird cable (or a computer and a program) to turn the battery sucking annoying light flickering mode off. Quite annoying if you forget to turn it off after a test.
    607 likes this.
  6. Is it dead or can nobody find 41? I'll find it if nobody else does, even though it hasn't been 2 posts.
  7. 44 - 4 + cos(4pi) works if we allow pi :p
  8. I found a couple ways to reach 41 using a 5th 4. Couldn't find a way to reduce them.
    TomvanWijnen and 607 like this.
  9. that is a (wait for it... ) rad solution mate..
    ^^ Will this joke get me a degree in math jokes?

sorry guys :rolleyes:

anyways, 42 = 4! * sqrt(4) - 4 - sqrt(4)
    Patr1cV, Jelle68, 607 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Finally one I can actually answer;

44 - (4/4) = 43
  11. Same. :p Going to try 44 then - many possibilities for 44 - here's 4: (;))

:)
    PhoenixAffinity and Jelle68 like this.
  12. I'm a bit disappointed that I'm not joining in for this. I used to really like maths. :p (and I hope I still do, because my 'further education' is going to involve quite a bit of it, I assume)
    But I suppose I'm rusty...
    But I could look at your examples, write down some tricks, and use those myself too. :)
    Jelle68 likes this.
  13. 41 wasn't that hard really...

41 = 4|| ((4P4)/(4!))
    607 and TomvanWijnen like this.
  14. Uh, then why don't you try 45? ;)
    607 likes this.
  15. 45 = (4+sqrt(4))!/(4*4)
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  16. My knowledge of the symbols is lacking here. How does this one work out?
    607 likes this.
  17. 4! you know, I guess: 4*3*2*1.
    The P stands for Permutation. I think it tells you how many different ways there are to arrange the numbers (not sure how it works exactly at the moment, also as I'm very tired, but it doesn't really matter here. :p). So 2P2 gives 2, 3P3 gives 6, and 4P4 gives 24.
    This means 4P4 / 4! = 1.
    The || is used in some programming languages to add something to something else, but not by applying mathematics, but like if it were a string.
    So 4||1 = 41. :)
    JesusPower2 and TomvanWijnen like this.
  18. 46 = 44+4-sqrt(4)
    this was too easy so
    46 = 4!!*Γ(4)-(4/sqrt(4))
    Γ aka gamma of (n) = (n-1)!
    its a fun function that's used a bit in encryption such as RSA. :)
  19. for 41 I got (4!+sqrt(4))/.4-4!

now then, 47 is easy
    4!*sqrt(4)-4/4 = 47
  20. || Is concatenation, most people have used it for 4||4 = 44, but due to no one coming up with one I thought I'd usue it in this way, it technically is a legal thing to use, but the reason mathematicians usuallly don't like it is becuase it's base - based (langue...) wich makes it so it can only be used in questions that are specifficly about a certain base.

48 = 4P4+4P4