It's Here! New Tutorial for the Empire!

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Krysyy, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Just for those not already aware, there are three "Dragon Egg" rooms with lore bits, hidden away. :3
    cadgamer101 and 607 like this.
  2. About the one behind the painting... you can open the door if it's closed
  3. They've been changed to signs now. :) Assuming we're talking about the same thing. xD
  4. born_ego found a few spots where you can get stuck really easily, that would be good to get fixed, because new players will get really frustrated if they have to start the tutorial all over again :)
    Edit: Also, I'm unwatching this thread right now, you guys are spoiling way too much... :(
    Seanawesome14 and Calamochnus like this.
  5. Just when I thought I'd conquered tutorial, I find out I've only found one third of the rooms. >.<

EDIT: Found all three. It turns out I'd already found one other one before, but I hadn't seen the buttons and thus hadn't realized that it was a Dragon Tombs area. XD
    607 likes this.
  6. I love this! Must look for the rooms now.
  7. This Dragon Tombs stuff sounds kind of cool. It also explains the room with the weird messages that I found. xD For a moment I thought that the people who built the tutorial were telling a random apocalypse story. :p
    Kephras, wkramer79 and hashhog3000 like this.
  8. I wanna do the tutorial :O
  9. Then do it? Just type /tutorial in-game.
  10. Thanks XD I had no idea :]
  11. This gives me some ideas to build off of... :p
    Kephras likes this.
  12. Hi. My friend just completed the tutorial while on Skype with me, and I noticed a few minor things that could be altered to be less confusing.
    First though, the Momentus in the tutorial section about EMC mobs seems to have escaped.

Sometimes when lots of signs are in a square/rectangle together they are meant to be read vertically, and other times horizontally. I think spacing between rows/columns of signs and color coding more signs would be a lot less confusing. I kept catching my friend reading in the wrong direction then going, "what...?"
    There is also a section where you can "fall out" of the tutorial path, and it is somewhat difficult to return to the appropriate course. I did this around the Momentus cage.
    In the Q&A portion of the tutorial too, a sign under the question like this would have helped my friend:
    "<---- Yes
    No ----->"

Also, since my friend is new to smp altogether, there may be a few other tips and bits of info that would help, such as what a /command even is.
    The tutorial also had signs detailing some of the commands, but his chat was disabled and he couldn't test any of them until he finished the tutorial. Obviously, that led to him immediately forgetting them all. Also, I don't think some extremely useful ones like /r, /p, or @username were included. /Map got a few signs, but the importance of finding your way back to frontier/wasteland outposts was lost on my friend (not sure if it was mentioned).
    TPsigns are new to some people also, so it isn't intuitive to walk on the tp pressure plates in spite of the floating words above it that seemed so obvious to me.

I'm not sure how to fix it, really, but my friend left the tutorial still not really understanding how town works and knowing literally nothing about flags. Maybe I'll post a suggestion for a flag gui, but until that happens new users could use a speck more intel.

Other than that, he was thoroughly impressed by your buildings and made it to the end without falling out of the course himself (and I used /town > /v tutorial to get free).
  13. I agree with this. Making it so you can actually use the commands while still in tutorial would be helpful.