Iron Golem farms

Discussion in 'General Minecraft Discussion' started by talukegord, Nov 15, 2012.

?

Do you think we should stop these?

Yes! This should be considered exploiting! 21 vote(s) 16.7%
No! This is a legitimate method of obtaining iron! 105 vote(s) 83.3%
  1. Ok guys, pretty much disregard this thread, I was upset because I thought these things were pumping out iron like crazy. I was unaware that they went at such an inefficient rate :p almost the same speed as mining
    Pab10S likes this.
  2. Oh no, don't take my recording as an accurate representation of what they can do.
    Also keep in mind that bob's has 12, while the farm I quoted on currently stands at 9.
  3. I seem to think i get one stack of iron blocks per hour roughly. And I think I have mine to an average of 1 golem every 30 seconds based on the average of one cell stated in the tutorial.
  4. Well, its pretty fast, but....not horrible, its at a level where i can deal with it, and not get too upset :p
    bushyspecialk likes this.
  5. If had an iron golem farm, I wouldn't auction off the iron. I would use it to build iron blocks to build
  6. Sorry guys, I'm not going to read the entire thread. I'm sure it's been said, but...

As with anything else in Minecraft, ingenuity wins. There are tons of ways to acquire resources, xp, etc. As pat mentioned, the farms require ingenuity, time, and resources to generate iron. Because they are generally quite large, hiding them is difficult... so if you don't want to share - you need to be creative. And no matter what, you're looking at a ton of time to build, and a ton of resources.

They are no different than gold farms, meat cookers, spawners, etc. So I vote they stay :)
    sonicol1, Pab10S and ob1bob69 like this.
  7. I respect everyone's opinion - I was not meaning anything I was saying to directly offend anyone - I was referring to the fact that I see the idea of making an Iron Golem Farm to be similar to a sand generator ... It takes a lot of material and time to make one, but in the end you don't have to take any effort in obtaining the outcome items other than standing there - Which is therefor considered an exploit; for one is taking advantage of (known or unknown features to reap benefits). (Sand Generators are now unable to be made from EMC, yet everyone is able to get sand from the deserts.)

As much as I like seeing results and everyone's opinions, I'd rather not hear arguing and just ask Mojang themselves on the issue so everything can be handled properly - So as of yesterday, I contacted Mojang - and we are all now discussing the good and bad about the features, the farms, and the outcomes.

When I find out a final conclusion on the issue - I will re-post letting everyone know our decision.

Thanks for reading - ekl
  8. The thing with sand gens is it exploits the pistons and the repeaters. With the golem spawners a golem is spawner naturally. If the golems were being spawned very fast and without end then it become banned. But since they are naturally spawned, it will never be gotten rid of or banned.
  9. On the contrary - it is NOT natural - natural spawning grounds is in the villager village, exactly in the center of the houses; Where-as Iron Golems were built in the the 12w08a to protect villagers from humans and mobs (nothing more). As an added feature, since they are in the golem family, they can be crafted.

However, the fact people can make artificial villages to trick the coding into thinking iron golems need to spawn to protect the villagers, then when they drop off to go to the 'killing area' more spawn and it repeats? (That to me and few others seems to be 'un-natural')
  10. I would not expect anything from Mojang on this issue. This is a natural game mechanic that is not even that effecient.

EMC has no intentions to disable this concept nor wants it disabled, however the only issue we have with it is when the machines cause lag.

We had situations where multiple people running their grinders at same time on utopia lagged the server, but the community worked it out on timing of use.

Long as they dont cause lag, they will be fine to use.
    KingGeorge3rd likes this.
  11. [REDACTED]
  12. It is still a natual spawn. The only thing that will be unatural is the way you use them.
  13. Golems drop Iron, coz they're made out of it, its in their code AND crafting recipe. Its also an intended feature!
  14. When you take that and think further - about all the ways you can get stuff on EMC without any effort worth mentioning - not even having to stand somewhere (afk), then iron farms are negligible.
  15. I hate iron robotic giant squidwards, they are also good training. They have 50 hearts which is rather fun to blunt at with swords.
  16. actually we did. we removed sand gens.
  17. Sand gens are taken from glitches, different.
  18. No me gusta.
  19. perhaps we need to re-look into this - I opened up my redstone testing server and made a bunch more designs including some sand gens - 2 of them still work .... the thing with sand generators is if you have too many (pistons) going at the same time - that is what causes the lag keeping them from duplicating .... they require effectively around 8 or less ... or on the massive design around 20 or less ... if you have anymore they won't duplicate (so the system is only allowing it from small redstone mechanics - fast ticks - and minimum pistons) .... most of the big designs i've seen in the past are ineffective as of now on both mulitplayer and singleplayer, though
  20. "I used Iron Golem Farms not for their iron ingots they produce but for the roses" said A Real Man :p
    FatAndyTheGreat and bonzd67 like this.