How-To: Establishing Your Outpost

Discussion in 'Establishment Requests Pending' started by Krysyy, Jan 3, 2015.

1. An earlier post mentioned that an outpost can't be established in the nether, is there a provision that will allow one to protect a large build in the nether, such as a wither skeleton farm? Would establishing an outpost in the corresponding region of the frontier be of any benefit in such a case?

Also, can you explain the difference between land claiming and outpost establishment? What privileges are afforded by both, and what privileges are unique to each?
    Pab10S likes this.
  2. The best I could give you on the first question is a guess, but I can answer the second one: they're the same thing. ;)

When you claim an outpost, you are letting Staff know that you want to get that outpost established. If it meets the requirements, a Staff member will formally establish it. An established outpost gives purely political benefits currently (more control over how the outpost operates) but establishment will become a required part of land claiming once it's introduced.
    kevmeup likes this.
  3. I started building my massive project before these rules were made, I think. >.<
    So does that mean I can't protect my outpost? :(
  4. Unfortunately not at this time, no :( this is why so many ppl tell u that u should never reveal ur outpost coords. in public messages b/c griefers could ruin it.

but theres also good news: many good staff here! even if u may not see staff there is a chance they're still watching over us (no joke!).

if trouble does find u (I really hope it won't!) then: /staff. use that to find some1 and tell them exactly what happened.

or u can find one on this forum (go to main forumpage, check the list on ur right). u could also PM one of those members if u need their help.

so the land isnt protected like our cool town plots but the staff will help u keep it protected.
    JaniceTheDorito likes this.
  5. I am not sure of the procedure for this , established my outpost on SMP5 as Jackpot Canyon and would like to change the name to "Middle Earth" Can I just start calling it by the new name and thereby make it official? What if I have a problem and need admin assistance- to prove I have established it I should refer to the old name?
  6. I think as long as your establishment chest is still there you should be fine. You could always post on your establishment thread saying that you have changed it's name. I'm not 100% (more of a guess) but I'd say the name wasn't important just as long as the chest is there so they know it's established.
    Pab10S and georgeashington like this.
  7. That would be so useful to me...
    kevmeup likes this.
  8. Name: Endernia Server: Smp7 Chest at start: Yes Please establish my outpost as it meets the requirements:)
  9. Nice Krysyy!!
  10. I was confused by this. why must there be a locked chest? Especially when it doesn't have to be visible?
    kevmeup likes this.
  11. It let's staff find the location even if you are offline, it's more of a technical thing. You can remove it once you are established.

Though I have ours in the first building and keep it as a part of outpost history :)
  12. because a locked chest will tell us a couple of things:
    1. You've placed a locked chest so you're serious.
    2. It gives a reference point to start from. The area needs to be double checked (because I assuming you've already checked the map to be sure no ones near where you'd like to start your outpost) byt a moderator to be sure it won't be encroaching on someone else already there.

You can't just say "Hmm, I think I'll make this my outpost and just start building. There are boundary rules we all must follow to allow for expansion and to keep peoples outposts from overlapping and causing problems down the road.

I hope I've been of some help.
    Live long and prosper. \||//
    kevmeup likes this.
  13. Oh snap! this computer won't let me edit. -_-

was gonna add to #1 that like Penguin said.. It also shows that you've actually been there. =]
  14. I thought it must always stay.
  15. I was told by a mod I could remove if I wanted. just didn't have the heart
    ThaKloned likes this.
  16. How large of an area can be claimed?
  17. This area is not specific, but since there needs to be 3000 blocks between you and your nearest neighbor to establish, you probably wont have any border disputes if you go out up to 1500 from your center. If you're going over that (to get a guardian farm for example), be sure to talk to your nearest neighbors about it if possible to prevent any future misunderstandings.

Any build outside of an outposts is still covered by general frontier rules and eventually basic protection, so for the most part a farm somewhere on your outskirts shouldn't need to be inside the outpost unless you need the ability to prevent someone else from building near by. If you need to be 100% sure that something over 1200 blocks from your center is covered by your outpost, you may want to establish a second outpost in that area.
  18. This is a little confusing. So we post in both the Establishment Requests Pending section and the Wilderness Forum too?