How do people get to know about the Controversial section?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 607, May 6, 2022.

1. So... the status quo then? πŸ’€πŸ’€
  2. Well, it's good that it's somewhere, at least, thanks for pointing that out. I don't think it's on the rules page, though. I looked for it there before creating the thread.
    Raaynn likes this.
  3. Its actually in the forum rules page, as well as the Website page
    crystaldragon13, 607 and FadedMartian like this.
  4. Okay... alright all, please reply to this post whether you knew about the forum specific rules page. :p
    By the way, two things about that I remarked: the website wiki page and the specific forum rules page both mention just one way to get access to the controversial section, and they're two different ways. Secondly, aren't some of the topics mentioned on the latter page disallowed to talk about in general? I didn't think we could have a thread about drug use, for example, not in the controversial section either.
  5. i did
  6. Thanks for bringing awareness to inconsistencies which can now be improved.
    crystaldragon13 and 607 like this.
  7. I didn't know, but to be honest I participate on EMC to escape all the controversial topics being discused in real life. So I would like to remain oblivious to any such discussions in this peaceful virtual world.
  8. That's completely fine! Sounds quite sensible. :D I'm not asking for the controversial topics section to be opt-out rather than opt-in, I would like more awareness about its existence, and the ability to opt-in. Does knowing about the section inconvenience you? I would assume not, but maybe I am mistaken, and FOMO is more powerful than I imagine. :p
  9. No, knowing about it doesn't bother me. I guess I was just putting my 2r out there to say I would not want to see the topics in that section exposed in the regular forum areas. In case that were brought up as a suggestion.
    crystaldragon13 and 607 like this.
  10. As someone who lived through that... I don't either lmao, it probably wouldn't happen now because these forums struggle to justify their existence through their level of activity, but prior to 2017 it was not uncommon to see EMC members (and sometimes... an admin) spewing misinformation and hate all over the recently active section that my 14 year old self looked at like "wow these adults know what they're talking about" lol
    Joy_the_Miner and FadedMartian like this.
  11. they used to be a lot more active and would oftentimes make it look like the forums were poppin’ when they werent.

now we have people spam posting threads and are lucky to get more than 3 replies lol
    Joy_the_Miner likes this.
  12. Heh, of all people, I'm surprised that 607 is the one who brought this topic up.
  13. I am the most concerned (in a positive sense... I hope :rolleyes:) about EMC as a forum of all the people in the world, perhaps. :D
  14. Well, I've tried to opt-in a week ago. Still can't see any new stuff in the forums.
  15. Did you add me to the message?
  16. Nah, I used the Opt-In form as recommended, @form.jotform.com, no option to add someone to the message.
    607 likes this.
  17. Oh. Well. I don't have access to that. Another form I didn't even know existed.

Send me a message: https://pm.emc.gs/chickeneer
  18. I didn't know this was a thing until a couple of months ago. I just thought the section was deleted. :confused:
  19. n00b
  20. I wonder if I could somehow posit my thread in such a way that it could stay outside of the controversial section... as it seems clear now that the general EMC public does not have access to it.