Harsher Punishments for Using 'Caps'

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AlexC__, Feb 25, 2012.

?

Harsher Punishments for Using 'Caps?'

Yes 41 vote(s) 44.6%
No 27 vote(s) 29.3%
I don't mind, it doesn't effect me. 24 vote(s) 26.1%
  1. Fine I took it out..
  2. Yay, I'm still popular.
    Thanks, I knew I was a pretty awesome Moderator already, but it's great to know that other people think so, too.
  3. Oh, so crazy isn't a mod anymore? >:3 its time, to take over, the WORLD! >:3>:3
  4. Tbh they're many times when I want to use caps but i'm not allowed to D: I like using caps and I dont mind when other people use caps, unless its cap spam. :p

And why does it say i'm a new member, ive been here for over a month D:
    twinchicken86 likes this.
  5. Disallowing caps in chat, in my opinion, is kind of stupid. I agree that, if someone is overusing caps to yell at somebody, then they should be kicked. But I honestly see nothing wrong with using one or two words of caps for emphasis. Also, I cannot tell you how many times I have hit caps lock instead of shift and chatted a whole sentence in caps by accident. I always say "sorry caps lock" and sometimes get kicked, which can be frustrating. But the no caps rule and the punishments are just way too harsh.

You need to have 50 posts to become a member, I think.
  6. While I agree mostly with your sentiment, I don't think the psychological aversion is abnormal. In the days where computers used caps a lot, we didn't have the internet and only a small selection of nerds had modems.

Since that time, online communities have grown and become a far more important means of socializing and communication. However, it's still mostly text, and text lacks the normal cues you get from meeting people face to face, and so we are given to get these social cues however we can. Caps, is one, font style, sentence formation all give us clues as to the emotion behind the person writing, and while they may or may not be valid, it's all we have, and I think many of us use it to gather context of peoples post either consciously or unconsciously.
  7. Caps are perfectly fine to use for emphasis. It, like apamment said, just another font style. It's like banning colored words or script letters. It just doesn't make sense.
  8. Come on now? You are so sensitive to CAPS...oops I just did it right there sorry...anyway it is not that big of a deal. I don't use them but honestly, who really cares? If anybody else really cares about others overusing CAPS...well, I don't know what to say, maybe "get a life"?
    twinchicken86 likes this.
  9. I have to agree.
  10. Actually, it's "inappropriate yelling" that is a violation, not "excessive yelling." Apparently it's ok to use caps excessively as long as it's appropriate. Like listing a bunch of Federal Agencies might be excessive but completely appropriate if asked, "Can you think of any Federal Agencies?" To which you could legitimately reply, "FBI, CIA, FAA, DEA, DHS, BATF, FEMA, TSA, NSA, DOD..."

Also, yelling is entirely appropriate if your buddy is about to walk into lava, both in real life and in the game. If you have a really idiotic buddy and you have to yell at them a lot, it may become excessive but it still remains appropriate. Not that I'm a mod or an admin so they may have a different definition of "appropriate" than the standard one. And as both of us have agreed, Justin's property=Justin's rules. I will continue to support the greatest SMP servers either way.
    nnnnmc1 likes this.
  11. If it came to a situation where you would be forced to use plenty of all-caps phrases in a row, just switch to local or /tell. I'm sure they'll understand. :)
    nikko225 likes this.
  12. No i never use caps i dont have a caps lock button it brok and i dont use shift in smp
    nnnnmc1 likes this.
  13. If you do not use shift, then how do you have capital letters in that post?

It is not that this rule bugs us so much, it is that, no matter the type of punishment handed out, this keeps on happening over and over again. Its a maturity level among the players. I know not all players are of age, or even that old, but they know common courtesy, and they know that Caps lock is an eye sore (yes, even in advertising).

IF I WERE to MAKE every OTHER word IN every SENTENCE i TYPE a CAPITAL word, YOU would HAVE to AGREE that IT is LESS than EASY on THE eyes. IT is GREAT that YOU want TO get PEOPLES attention BUT guess WHAT? people ASK for SHOP numbers WHEN they NEED something, AND if YOU have A good SHOP they WILL remember YOU and COME back!

AND THEN YOU GET FREE ADVERTISING AT YOUR RESIDENCE FOR ANY AND ALL THEIR SHOPPING NEEDS!

Chat is already spammed with stuff that doesn't necessarily need to be in the Town chat. Why make it even more cluttered or harder on the eyes than it is?
  14. Be respectful to other players. Another rule that you have decided is beneath you.
    copherfield likes this.
  15. Another guy that actually cares about all CAPS....so sad.
  16. Isn't that one major advantage of typing in caps? It's like putting ***Obsidian for sale at 12102*** versus the same without stars. It is a marketing tactic to get noticed, and, if everyone can do it, then nobody has any advantage at all, some people just choose to utilize these techniques. And, I will bet you that I have a little bit more advertising experience than you do - I may be 12 years old, but I currently run two businesses in real life, and one in Minecraft.
    Thirdly, advantages and disadvantages will always be there. Life isn't fair.
    Seberling likes this.
  17. I personally find people spamming or using caps too much to be annoying. It's very easy for me to just ignore the chat scrolling when I don't care to look at it, though. It's been my observation that most often things like spamming or excessive use of caps are quickly and efficiently handled by the mods. Sometimes things slip through, sure, but by and large they get noticed.

But the key here is that everyone that joins the Empire is meant to read the rules, as well a the rest of the Empire Guide. It's generally implied that by registering on any website or community that you have read and understand the rules and regulations set forth by those in charge, and agree to abide by them. In agreeing to that, it is also implied that you agree to accept whatever consequences come from failure to comply with the rules set forth. That said, if you refused or failed to read - or disagreed with - the rules and other information presented to you before joining but joined anyway, then ignorance is not a safe haven from having action taken against you for breaking the rules.

So no, I don't think harsher punishment is needed for people that break the rules that this topic covers. However, I think that following the rules is essential and failure to do so should result in taking whatever punishment is given to you.
  18. So I take it you would not care if someone in a confined space with you just stood up and started screaming about something? And plus, it is a rule, even if you don't agree with it, so you should care unless you find comfort in the banhammer.
  19. OH no i accidentally put 'oh' in caps. will i get banded?
    twinchicken86, nnnnmc1 and Seberling like this.
  20. /ignore exists. It's not a "confined space".