Harsher Punishments for Using 'Caps'

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AlexC__, Feb 25, 2012.

?

Harsher Punishments for Using 'Caps?'

Yes 41 vote(s) 44.6%
No 27 vote(s) 29.3%
I don't mind, it doesn't effect me. 24 vote(s) 26.1%
  1. No-one has mentioned "/ignore [playername]"
    IPwnCreeps likes this.
  2. What so now we should ban people who use capslock? really.
    twinchicken86 likes this.
  3. We did, first page.

We're not saying ban them, just suggesting putting something in the middle of kicking, hour ban, day bam, perm ban.
  4. Crazy has already indicated what happens. Repeat offenders will get progressivly more severe punishments.
  5. But that's the problem, on SMP2, I don't think they do.. And even the first time should just be more severe I reckon.
  6. All for kicking for caps, but people need to get a bit realistic about the use of them.

For example, when I advertise a game of Run For Diamonds, sometimes, very rarely, I'll slip in a capital word or two...

"So if you think you've got what it takes, think you can beat the Zones, think you're the best Runner out there, then come to Run For DIAMONDS!..(or maybe I use RUN FOR DIAMONDS!)"

And all of a sudden, people are screaming "CAPS!".

Get a grip folks. Or ignore me. Either way, it's not a gratuitous use, it's not an over-use, it's an emphasis on a word to attract attention. Personally, I ignore people that use caps / excessive exclamations, and I have a large and extensive ignore list. If someone decides to use !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then I reason that the chances they'll have something to say that'll interest me later on, is unlikely.

Other than that, yes, for those that go "LALALALALALALLALALA sorry caps lol." they need sorted.
  7. I don't mind THAT much if it's to emphasise.. I just hate it when people use it for asking questions or advertising, and then saying 'sorry.'

But lol, when you advertise that 'Run For Diamonds,' it goes for really long time..
  8. Juuuuust because you Rage Quit is no need to hate my game. :p
  9. Yeah that has been asked for already, nothing as answer tho...
    Well actually the point it's before they use caps, not after, i don't care what happens to whoever uses lots of caps, i just don't want to see them using caps.
    I hate when people ask me to do such, why in hell i have to do the work a machine can do? (i'm talking about server, and there is a plugin to warn caps users) well, consider this- there are 60 players per server (or more) if 5% of them start making caps, then the whole 95% of the server has to stop to write /ignore [playername], and it's awesome that you will have to ignore not 1, but yes tons of them each day...
    I totally go with your point, some people says "HEY GUYS WANNA SEE MY RESIDENCE NOW PLEASE COME!!!!!(sorry caps)" and they say in a same line :O i mean, that should give them a ban for being ignorants -.-
    5th offense = go to their house and break their computers, or at least their keyboard.
    right?
    *btw: just for you to know, the people that applied for DT had to vote for best mod, i got you winning for lots of votes, sorry about whatever it happened, you were the best. Just because you are crazy men.*
  10. I love your game, that's why I brought like 4 tickets :p - it was just too hard lol.

Back to the topic though. Justin what do you think?
  11. people typing in all caps don't really bother me that much, but the saying sorry for it in the same sentence does. i mean, if you really were sorry you wouldn't be doing it in the first place, it's not like you blindly typed a sentence and you hit enter before you noticed caps lock was on.
    AlexChance likes this.
  12. So because one [small] segment of the population has an abnormal psychological aversion to capital letters, everyone should be concerned? I've frankly never understood this, in the early days of computers all there were was capital letters. The Capital Letter Police remind me of people who don't like that their neighbor's grass is a half inch longer than allowed by code so they call in the SWAT team.

Just my opinion, though.

[Edit] I should add, though, that on someone else's (Justin's) private property, that someone else (Justin) makes the rules and if another person (Me) hopes to be welcomed back, that other person (Me) better follow the rules.
    twinchicken86 likes this.
  13. Grass being too long isn't against the rules.
    Using Caps is.
  14. Yeah, it's called an analogy. I''m referring to neighbors in the real world (rather obviously since there is no SWAT team in MC).

[Edit] Since it is a rule, and I would surely lose the argument about repealing the rule, maybe the punishment should actually be a little less harsh for spamming in general (although the mods and admins are already very fair and kind in regards to inadvertent spamming as my 6-yr-old and I recently discovered) and be limited to a ban from chat, temporary or permanent depending on the offense. I know this would be relatively easy to set up since you can already disable your own chat feature.
    Squizzel_Boy and AlexChance like this.
  15. I have found that when you use full caps "HELP" it turns it into /help xD

EDIT: so why dont we make it so it auto turns full caps into non caps?

I'm talking about before Square
    AlexChance likes this.
  16. There are plugins out there that do stop caps, and automatically PM you to stop. There are also plugins that Turn curse words (or any words Justin doesnt want said) into *'s
  17. If you ask me, basic grammar should have to be used on the forums and not like, "ZOMG u dontzs knowz whaz Iz justz dizd!!111". The different words for there and to shouldn't matter, since you can still understand them, unlike my example above.
    nnnnmc1 and Squizzel_Boy like this.
  18. Good point but it is true, I couldn't understand half of his posts.
  19. Yeah but seriously its mean I wouldn't like it if you did it to me :/