[Guide] Surviving the Wastelands

Discussion in 'Empire Help & Support' started by wisepsn, Mar 26, 2013.

?

Are you excited for the wastelands?

Yes. 29 vote(s) 50.0%
I am already planning. 22 vote(s) 37.9%
No. 3 vote(s) 5.2%
There is a wastelands? 4 vote(s) 6.9%
  1. I'd like to add (sorry if it's already been mentioned!) that people join multiplayer servers to play with friends among other things, not so that they can 1) lose their stuff when a world resets and 2) have to travel 1000's of blocks to mine because they don't like the fact that everything on SP is so close to them...

Wastelands is a solution, not a problem guys. It doesn't really affect anyone negatively either - if you'll miss the challenge of heading far out, you can still use the /wild or travel that same distance. :)
  2. toast to that lol
    M4nic_M1ner and ZBSDKryten like this.
  3. I agree with you on Quartz Express because thats a good idea, but it is not really needed. All people are just gonna grief it hard, and it will be your fault. The wastelands will be a great investment. I agree with Icecreamcow, and how the wastelands will be good. Trust me, the wastelands will help the Empire a lot. Yes, it makes the challenge in Empire a little easier, but I am sure the admins got ideas.
    Adderwolf71 and pyro_vampiress like this.
  4. i think wastelands should come out when we go to normal mode tho
    M4nic_M1ner likes this.
  5. Okay. I don't understand you, but I do understand how to make a solid point. The Wastelands are needed. Period.
    And what about the next update? And the one after that? Are we going to wait until this becomes a major problem or is the Wastelands a solution to something that is only a minor inconvenience at the moment. What EMC is doing is thinking ahead.

Yeah, I took this from your old post, but that's because I accidentally overlooked it. EMC's goal is to be the best Minecraft multi-player server that focuses on giving its players what they really want and need. Your assumption that the addition of the Wastelands will only benefit a minority is poppycock, as is your other assumption that that 'minority' is made out of new players.

Here's the list of people who may benefit from the new Wastelands:
    1. New players to Minecraft
    2. New players to the EMC servers who joined because they want to play with their pals
    3. Experienced players that want to use their time and money more wisely
    4. Players that want to spend more time building than traveling out to some remote area.
    5. Also, as previously mentioned, the EMC economy.

I highlighted "like in single player" so that I could make one more quick point: What is wrong with having a multi-player experience be just like the single player one, but with more people? Technically it is all the same world, just randomly generated in beautiful, awesome ways. If someone wants to step quickly into a world to find some much needed coal, or iron, or lava, or spend longer looking for diamond or quartz in areas where someone else hasn't dug up half the place, then what is wrong with that? It doesn't make them lazy, and in fact it's far from that; instead it makes them the person that's starting their new residence from scratch on a server because they wanted to play with their friend, and chose EMC as the place to go for that.

I think I lightly covered this earlier, but I want to go over this really quickly. I didn't mean the people who didn't have any time at all, but the people who want to concentrate on building, but don't survive great in the wild. Or maybe these people can't afford an awesome supporter bonus. These people may also be new to the server, and want to get a jump start on some brilliant idea they have. They don't have time NOT because they don't have ANY time, but because they're using their time on the servers in a way that will better benefit the community.

Good point. It would still be nicer to dig sand out from a place that's not only better looking, but also not as dangerous because there would be less player made craters and pits where they dug out their own sand, less travel time, and easier to find sand that is not holding back an ocean. It's Ugly just to see our current wild looking like this.

It is possible that I was over exaggerating about the overpriced shops, and I apologize for that because we all know that the EMC shop has the highest shop prices. My previous statement was made quickly and with not enough serious thought put into it. Let me try rephrasing it a little better.

What I'm predicting is that because of the high increase in product availability there will be more shops because it will be easier to keep them constantly stocked. As a result of this more people will be able to fulfill their buying and building needs because there will be more competitive pricing, directly caused by the drastic increase in product availability. The prices will also have to compete with people who can "find it just outside their door" now in the wastelands, which essentially makes it free. Having to compete with free is some pretty hard beans. I'm not sure why you think that the price drop will be dropped only temporarily, but with what I have outlined I do not believe that this is the imminent reality.

Really really? I'm talking about the basics that you HAVE to go out into the wilderness/ wastelands for, Stuff like sand, coal and iron are at the top of this list, not only because they will be easier to get, but because they are also high demand items.
    I would like more information on this. I'm curious as to how people will prevent theft and griefing. Also, how exactly will the towns and settlements make the transport faster? Could you please elaborate?
  6. Because the available, not-yet generated land is now reachable within 5 minutes and is so huge,
    that you only need to move few chunks in either of 3 directions to get more. Therefore,
    you don't need to add 5 minutes to the travel time for each next update, but only about 1/2 minute.
    Again, the available area increases with square of traveled distance (and square of travel time),
    so the additional time needed is less and less with each next update and becomes insignificant.

I think that differences in our opinions come from differences in experience, game-play style, perception about what EMC is about for the most of the people and of course personal preferences.

Perhaps it would be helpful if we show each other how we play. I could show you how to reach new land in 5 minutes, how to get to an untouched desert in 2 minutes. That might change your opinions a bit. :)
    Do try the Quartz Express.

Yes, Wastelands is a solution for only what a part of players experiences as inconvenience. The need to travel.
    Yes, I think it would be better to wait until it is really needed, and then to think about the best solution.

What I'm saying is:
    * travel is an interesting and challenging aspect of Minecraft game-play and this virtual worlds, it should not be taken away
    * it is only a (minor) inconvenience to a part of the people, until they learn how to. Learning how to travel is interesting and fun.

This is a very good discussion point.
    The best part of EMC is the community and its culture. For the community to live and retain culture you need a significant part of long-term members. If EMC would give too much benefits to new players on cost of the old ones, that wouldn't be good, same as the very opposite.

But, taking away the necessity to learn how to travel (and survive) from new players does not benefit them!
    It is making the game less challenging. This is never a benefit!

No, because of the missing challenges around travel.

If they know how to travel, they won't have a problem, so:
    No, because they will not be able to profit from their knowledge of how to travel.

I don't really understand this one. Example?

Yes. Players that like creative mode better than survival.
    But EMC is survival mode, so I guess the creatives here are a minority.

Only insignificantly, because the reduction of the needed effort to get resources is insignificant,
    and only temporary, because the inflation if much stronger.

IMO, it is not good
    * generally, to make the game easier and less challenging - both for new and for old players
    * to make gathering resources more monotonous and boring
    * to give up a world and continuity, to change it (too much) for existing (older) players
    * to (gradually) give up survival and vanilla game play and shift towards creative

True. If you dislike traveling and if you like creative mode that does not make you lazy at all.
    But that does not mean that there aren't people "need and want" fly hack, teleport and x-ray.

How will they do on a survival server?

You can. I can show you how to get there. In less than 2 minutes.

EMC /shop is actually not really a shop, it is an item spawner. It can not be compared to player shops because it has infinite stock, it spawns items (/give command).

When you dig in the Overworld, the time needed to fill the inventory and ender chest is around 70 minutes, including the travel, -> see here (I did not fill the inv completely during that trip).

Let's say you use wastelands and that reduces the travel time to 3 minutes.
    The change is 7 / 70 = 10%. Not that much. Not at all drastic.
    The prices increased around 50% in last 7 months!
    I don't think your prediction can come true.

Not at all, obviously, because you have to dig, dig, dig and that takes much more time.

Because of the inflation. The prices are constantly rising, I'm watching them closely since June last year.

It will be around 10% easier to get them, but that's far away from any drastic change in availability and supply or "incredibly easy to get."

It will be possible to claim land in the wilderness.
    It could already be implemented without great effort, but EMC heads want to tie it to the "Dragon Tombs" adventure feature for not yet disclosed reasons. They have a secret plan. A conspiration about the fate of this community. ;)

The settlements are much more near the not yet generated areas. They only need to travel 1/2 minute to 1 minute to reach new chunks.

See you on Quartz Express?
    xI_LIKE_A_PIGx likes this.
  7. I think I understand this point now.
    You're building an adventure map in the town and you're looking for resources - as cheap as you can get them.
    As you will be able to claim land in the Wild, consider moving the project there.
    I'm offering help regarding the choice of a good location and railway connection :)

I suggest to try to establish a team working on it and to ask for sponsorship from big shops.
    Visit 12162! :)
    Good luck!
    pyro_vampiress likes this.
  8. Trying to put them out of bussiness eh?
    pyro_vampiress likes this.
  9. Absolutely! ^_^
    xI_LIKE_A_PIGx likes this.
  10. /shop gets you NO where with its expensive prices although some people still use it ._.
  11. *yawn* bump
  12. I was thinking, what if the staff made a whole world made out of dirt-- Wait they already have that it's called town never mind.
  13. Bump!!!! Wastelands comes this weekend, but it doesnt mean that you still can't plan ahead!!!
  14. Think brick think!
    What to do! Sell stone tools and supply kits! That will do! lol
  15. it comes out this weekend!
    Twitch1 likes this.