[Guide] Jelle’s build guide

Discussion in 'Player Guides, Tips and Tricks' started by Egeau, Jan 21, 2017.

?

Usefull?

YES 19 vote(s) 76.0%
yes... 3 vote(s) 12.0%
maybe 1 vote(s) 4.0%
I guess... 2 vote(s) 8.0%
couldn't have you spent yuor time better learning for tests? 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okay, we have now finished all the interior, and I think this all looks kind of alright now, the furnishing really helps with making it look like it’s more alive…

As you might have guessed by now, this isn’t finished yet, there is a lot more work to do with this build, really a lot: all places that aren’t covered with building need to be covered with good looking landscaping, and since not that much is covered with building, a lot needs to be covered with landscaping…
    but before I start with that I’d like to ask you something: did I use any solid blocks that aren’t concrete? I can give you the answer: No, I didn’t. About all blocks you see are concrete blocks, The only thing I did use was wool for the beds… That’s how amazing these new blocks are for modern building.

That’s the first part of the landscaping, we’re going to add some more to it later on, but this is what modern landscaping looks like nowadays, using green powdered concrete with a few grass blocks thrown in for a little variation (not at the sides though, that’d give you a dirt texture at the side…); using light gray concrete powder as the roads and a little hedge out of spruce leaves with a little bit of brown powder under it. I also added a little bit of overgrowth using birch/oak leaves.
    But this isn’t a garden, it’s just what I’m doing so that the height difference I need for the garden doesn’t look bad from the back… now it’s time for the real work, doing the actual gardening:

I think this has been the longest between two sections I did so far, It’s three days later for me now... anyway, I have done quite a bit of gardening around here… If you wonder what that thing in the left is, that’s to place your car under so that it won’t get dirty, about every rich family in the Netherlands has got one… Anyways, I have made use of the terrace technique I described in the first gardening guide but this time a little more on each terrace. I think you can see everything from the picture, new techniques haven’t really been used, I only did it all for another build. If you wonder how I did the fountain and the concrete powder slabs here is a mini guide:

For the fountain, you start with something a little bit like this:

After that you let the concrete fall on top of the cobble walls to create concrete slabs, and place in pistons to move the panes in:

After this you power the pistons, remove them, and place in the rest of the panes and the water, as simple as that. The concrete powder won’t turn into concrete because it’s technically still an entity. A little note is that you haven’t got that much time between placing the concrete and moving in the panes, if you wait too long they’ll break. Also, it will indeed look kind of strange at first, but you just have to re-load the chucks (or just relog) to fix that.
    I did the same thing for the roads, just placed walls under the places I wanted to be slabs.

Well, I think that that’s it for this guide, a lot of time went into this one, I wasn’t really happy at first, but I really like the end result for some reason… (maybe because so much time went into it…) I hope you learnt something, I want to thank 607 for helping me out with my English, thank you very much for reading :)
    Tah2, ShelLuser and 607 like this.
  2. I really enjoyed myself here. I don't visit / read the thread often, I basically go through a chapter and then I re-read it but this time (today) I was a little more hasty and skimmed through several of your posts. And I really enjoy this guide (still) :)

What I like best about your style (also shown in the part about the swamp) is that you also try to adapt to different styles. So instead of trying to turn the swamp into something it's not ("remove the swamp") you obviously try to base yourself on the existing environment and then make your build 'match' with that. And that's usually the trick :D

Oh well, figured I'd share. Technically speaking I just read the whole thread, but I'm actually still studying page 2 (landscaping / interior) :)

But I figured I should comment on all the new contents ;)

Awesome stuff, thanks again for sharing and writing all this. I'm actually already experimenting with some of this in creative. If I got that part done I'll definitely will be using some of your shared tips here for the house I want to build in my outpost :)
    607 and Jelle68 like this.
  3. It has been a while since I BUMP'ed this thing, but I think I have now finaly got a proper excuse for bumping it again (look under my name)
    I am planning on updating the landscaping guide, or, basically making a new one, as I learned quite a lot and I found out some things I said to be true aren't always, I'll also edit that in to the current guide to let people know it's out-dated.

Humpery,
    Dumpety,
    BUMPETY!
    607, TomvanWijnen, Tah2 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Hey, Congratulations on being accepted into the Build Team! If anyone deserves that, it's you.
    Tah2, 607, Jelle68 and 1 other person like this.
  5. I'm just going to bump this up once more.

As some of you might know, I have improved quite a lot when it comes to landscaping... Would you like to see a new improved &a expanded guide?
    ShelLuser likes this.
  6. (this post was sponsored by Sydney :D )

Most definitely: Zeker weten, als het half kan zou dat geweldig zijn!

oops! :rolleyes: Yah, it appears you gotta be careful around this place during the Holiday season, end year quota's or stuff, I dunno.

Heck yeah! If you can handle that when that would be awesome.

I mentioned it earlier up there but your guide honestly helped me, gave me a bit of focus to point my attention to. I'll be honest: when you build 'that thing' on 'that place' (yah, vague: you and Tom visited there on my spot)... but when you build that it also helped me to connect some dots.

So yeah.... I'm in favor! I'm an honest fan of your building guides, so if there's a chance to get more: please!! let us have it.

For the record.. I'm working on something based on your guide (no spoilers yet, sorry). Once it's done (estimate is 2 - 3 months (I'm a slow player)) then it'll be released & reviewed with full credits.

But yeah, I am a fan!
    607 likes this.
  7. you forgot to add a "] after post: 1398042. I added it because BBCode was being a pain in the butt about it. it took 8 minutes to fix.
    ShelLuser likes this.
  8. Is that supposed to be funny, because quite frankly I don't think it is. Alt much? @Sydney.

^

Shell being an idiot, see below.
    607 likes this.
  9. BBCode was being a pain in the butt, please read it now xD
    ShelLuser likes this.
  10. And I apologize for starting to think negative before thinking. I am picking up bad traits, won't happen again. Thanks Sydney!
    607 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.