Give us YOUR input on the pending land claiming process!

Discussion in 'Empire News' started by Krysyy, Mar 23, 2015.

1. That took longer than expected - Kinda' sad that I won't get any feedback on the feedback I've given.
    fishmeal likes this.
  2. Great point to bring up!

From what I recall in the forums based approach, this was actually just a guideline. If the current inhabitant permits it, you could technically even have significantly overlapping regions! I'm not sure how one would (semi)automate this, however. But since it's a part of reality, it would be nice to have some way to account for it, even if it's mostly manual. :) And since I just submitted my form, I'm kicking myself for not having read this beforehand, nor thought of it while filling in the final box!
  3. I want to give a few details that are mostly public but clarity around what this system will be.

--------------------------
    The official name for "Land Claiming" is Empires.
    Ultimately, a large part of the Empires is already in place - The Frontier forums you can claim an Outpost (Temporary name until actual Empires are in place), with a lot of POLITICAL protections in place.

The Empire system itself is essentially an automation of that process, including setting up a "Headquarters" that will be the center of your land (used in determining distance towards other Empires to not be too close), with actual protection from griefing by permissions.
    Then the ability to further expand your protection zone.

Then the teleportation aspect to go to the HQ back and forth from town.

Then there will be a group like aspect to it (Sadly I really messed up using E for Economy chat! I might consider changing that down the road to free up E for Empire chat. So thats something for discussion) that is persistent. I guess this is a primary candidate for debate - If we should even have this Empire Chat? My main concern is it would reduce the usage of Town chat even more... Keeping the need to form a group every login could prevent that from happening.

Then as I said in the other thread, permissions will use Residences too.
    Residences feature set will constantly improve even before the empire feature, so any ideas on what you would love to see to make managing permissions easier, suggest to the suggestions forum!
    Empires has always intended to be after Dragon Tombs because this is a critical balance game.
    Once we choose a token value for a prize... that sets a big game. We want to make land claiming have a decent cost, and we want Dragon Tombs to have significant reward.

And I'm sure this will make you happy SIL, Ultimately with our Dev team expansion, we MIGHT be able to pull off some form of parallel development, as chicken is interested in working on this and ultimately as things evolve I might even budge on DT being a major part of it.

Claiming land shouldn't be easy, as its meant to be a group effort and not a solo thing. Our intent is not to setup Single user Residences out in the Frontier... So we really have to get balance with cost right and DT does have a huge impact on that. (1 DT win should get you significant progress on claiming land)
    Right now we went really excessive with distance requirements to prevent conflicts when the automation step goes live.
    The actual distances when Empires go in place will be less. We didn't want to create the opportunity to want to make it LARGER than we initially chose and end up having people in a conflicted state.

If 2 groups are intentionally building near each other but wanting to operate completely separate as part of an agreement, then that is something staff can assist with once we have an agreement from all affected parties to allow an establishment.
    So your case should be not an issue. Staff already reviews an area before approving, so unless you built completely underground, the likely hood someone already claimed the immediate land around your area, is very unlikely, and if so, we will be able to manually intervene to work out a solution.
  4. #empires #exposed
    SkareCboi and southpark347 like this.
  5. I feel like the idea of empires is so backwards from what it should be. I mean, it shouldn't be empires at all. Land protection is something that everyone should have access to. I don't understand this idea that it should be so extremely limited and selective to get.

Why is it that the stance of the server staff is that protection from grief should be difficult to achieve? Perhaps you could explain that.
  6. I think that making a named group would likely solve the reforming a group issue. Having a preformed group for each Empire. Group 1, 2, 3, 4, etc might be a possible solution, but I'm sure the community can brainstorm something there that works best.

Having people in Empires be able to talk in the Town chat is a must IMO.
    M4nic_M1ner likes this.
  7. Warning Do Not make Krysyy mad...
  8. a little random timing, but she seems alright right now?

i think this sounds cool, with multiple group channels
  9. Off topic Drmadfate. He's referring to me chasing him and trolling him in game earlier.
    Bro_im_infinite likes this.
  10. I'm sorry don't hurt me.
    ShelLuser and Bro_im_infinite like this.
  11. Allowing control of every little part of the wild isn't something we are aiming for either because that ruins some of the part of it being the wild. This is meant to provide a level of protection for the Empires (bases) that players create in the wild that is (almost) equal to the protection you would find on a residence in town (we don't want to limit move). Each player is offered a protected plot of land in town that they can use so there is that land protection for everyone. The wild isn't mean to become another town with 'residences' back to back all over the place. It's mean to be laid out like a large continent with different Empires dotting the landscape.
    crystaldragon13 likes this.
  12. You seem to misunderstand the intentions of the empires and the extent to which work must be done programming-wise for this to happen.
    Land protection is already in place in town. If you like fully protected towns, stay in the town. That's what it's for.
    Frontier was set up to be a vanilla area of living--no protection, no teleportation, no mods, all pure minecraft survival. But that was just a temporary place to hold a world where the Empires might exist one day. Adding Empires does not increase grief, it reduces it. No longer will massive frontier griefs happen; no longer will people frown at the prospect of traversing the wilderness.
    This server always intended to have Empires, but it's a long process. Dragon Tombs is part of that process. After successful dragon tomb raids, Empires will arise.
    It's like an updated medieval Towny thing inside our frontier. Knights slaying dragons and earning a bounty of rich lands as a reward.
  13. Ok, by all means, you are going to do what you are going to do. I don't see the point in some limited protection system based on some random idea that is never actually going to happen. I mean, I'm sure that is a lot more important than something logical that everyone can use, and can be implemented soon.

If this was actually going to ever become a thing then we would have seen it years ago. So why our protection in the wild can't become the priority instead of lofty ideas based on things that don't seem to be currently possible. But you guys keep throwing those flashy things out there to distract people from the truth. I won't post again. I give up. You have thoroughly beaten the hope out of me.
    SoulPunisher likes this.
  14. It's all about scale and long term health of the server. These are the things I have to worry about that smaller servers do not...

There's no concept of "Reset" in the Frontier. We can't derelict a protected land and give it to the next person. How are we to then know the next claim that someone isn't claiming land over something someone else created 5 days ago?

Derelicting the wild is just something I don't think we can even consider. So yes there has to be a tax on claiming.
    If you want to play small scale w/o grief, we have the town world for that.

If you want to play in the wild as a group, you can easily pool resources to start an Empire with a little bit of effort, and have it protected and build something large.

If you want to play solo, and want to build something large, you still can by yourself, but it would be much easier with friends.

If you want to join the server, go into the Frontier and claim land on day 1, then that's not going to happen. That is not the experience we are trying to provide.
    You can build on day 1. Land claiming is not a requirement to play in the Frontier.

I suggest you check this: https://www.google.com/search?q=site:empireminecraft.com grief&espv=2&biw=1882&bih=991&source=lnt&tbs=cdr:1,cd_min:6/1/2014,cd_max:3/23/2015&tbm=

Griefing is NOT a huge problem on EMC. Players are successfully living in the Frontier, with very few problems.

When it does happen, the griefer gets banned, and the players repair the small damage (its no longer even possible to mass-scale grief on EMC due to my changes) and move on.

Griefing is not a major issue anymore due to all of the changes we have in place. This is why its not the #1 Priority.

It didn't require a land claim system to be fully implemented to resolve the problems.

From the politics of who's allowed to be in your base granted by the current political system (which by the way, I designed based on your case years back. I tried to tell you back then that was simply how the policy was, and we fixed that)
    To the inability to mass grief on EMC (fire and explosions no longer burn/break most blocks in the Frontier, so simply remove lava source block and let it dissipate, and repair dirt holes)
    And the extensive logging we now have in place (our system is smarter than traditional block loggers, allowing us to keep the irrelevant data out of our logs, making it easier to see only potential griefing actions)

So when griefing does happen, yes some blocks may be broken or items missing, but this is NOT something happening to you every single day.

If it was, the community would of been in uproar asking for a solution, but they aren't.
    These recent threads, none of them have said "griefing is out of control, please get land claiming in place". They are all simply asking for input and information into the system. A completely different topic.

So, considering I see no evidence/data to warrant completely throwing away my vision for how things should be, it's simply not going to happen that way.
  15. Hey, krysyy and I worked out our differences. Plus, we both know the dragons would win.
  16. Netheric Studies is 100% camouflaged from Livemap. and 99% underground. Could this potentially pose a problem?
  17. If you are already established, likely not because we try to spreadsheet all established outposts. Might double check with mrsocks75 though. He handles more of those than i do these days.
    Perry_Stahlsis likes this.
  18. Have you registered it? My point with that statement was the risk that someone else could of built nearby, and staff being unable to see another settlement anywhere nearby could potentially register someone else in the same area.

But if you claim it (which doesn't require giving out the coords, please see the thread on that for details about private registrations), then your good.