Forum Mobile View!

Discussion in 'Empire Updates' started by Aikar, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Just wanted to post and confirm that I have the same issue as Greylond on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S5) also on Firefox. Putting it into landscape mode doesn't help either. Clicking on "More Options..." pops an 'Unspecified error' message (shown in screenshot).

https://i.imgur.com/fOYBrOS.png
  2. This seems like a Firefox specific issue, I can type just fine on my normal browser, but using Firefox it doesn't work.
    607 likes this.
  3. Yes, Chrome on my phone works. This reply was made on my phone using Chrome. It appears to be only be in Firefox.
    607 likes this.
  4. Didn't the desktop version of Firefox have such a problem too once?
  5. But the new theme has't been implemented yet, right?
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  6. with the issue of pages not being ready being affected being fixed, not sure if i want to add the button now since it wont be there in the future.

I don't like the idea of adding stuff I know we wont be supporting in the future.

We will try to fix the firefox issues with a jquery update if we can.

Of the pages that applies the responsive changes to, they are pretty functional and clean looking outside of the firefox bugs...
    ItsMeWolffpack likes this.
  7. dangit. Stupid modern technology... (not blaming this on you Aikar, I'm just blaming this on the world :p)
    607 likes this.
  8. I don't see why people don't like the mobile view, it lets you read the thread without any horizontal scrolling...

why do you WANT to horizontal scroll and make it harder to read?

The web considers that an unfriendly user experience, what in the world is so appealing about making it harder to view the forums?

minus a few quirks like the player name dropdown box going off screen, nearly everything else is still there and usable. its just layed out in different sizes/padding/margins.
  9. I could read the thread just fine without any horizontal scrolling. (only not when I used my blue light filter and screen dimmer, which makes my screen emit about 0 light :p)
    Now I have to do a lot of vertical scrolling, much more than before.
    And also, sometimes having to zoom for buttons isn't so bad, I used to (for some reason it doesn't work with these "newer" pages) just tap once, and then the second tap I could zoom. Browser without this feature suck by the way. I preferred the overview I had back then, compared to most things being so big, but actually harder to see now.
    Dr_Chocolate14 and 607 like this.
  10. I agree with Aikar, the Mobile View is awesome because a lot of times, if I don't have my second screen on my computer connected, I use my phone or my Android tablet for Forums and/or Map.
  11. Now that's something they (okay, not EMC probably) could improve on! IIRC, the map is close to unusable on mobile, because of many reasons (try it out yourself), unless you've found some amazing thing to improve it I haven't found :p
    607 likes this.
  12. Sorry, I edited my post after you quoted it... :)
  13. I prefer the horizontal scrolling rather than the vertical scrolling. Our eyes are made to see horizontally not vertically. That's why games like Titanfall and Advanced Warfare failed. Just make an option to opt out and please both parties. :)
    607 and TomvanWijnen like this.
  14. I'd rather do a little bit of horizontal (if needed - sometimes) and a little bit of vertical scrolling, instead of a lot of vertical scrolling, but that's an/my opinion, and why I like the second part of your post. :)

EDIT: that post apparently was messed up :p
    607 likes this.
  15. Crap, I had it reversed. -.-
    TomvanWijnen likes this.
  16. Indeed, and also, with the massive text, we almost constantly have to scroll, but before I could leave the page for quite a while without any scrolling, which gave me an idea..:

Add an option to change the (relative) text size! This would already help a lot! I mean, I'm not 90 years old, so I can read not massive text, I don't need it to be as big as it is now.
    607 likes this.
  17. I cant see the livemap ever being friendly to mobile. The whole concept its built upon, its would have to be completely re-imagined. Can't fix that with some CSS.

I can look at decreasing it overall, then you can use your browsers font size features to increase it for those who need it larger.

What I can read is generally smaller than the general public is comfortable with, so I tried to be nice and cater to the masses, but may of overdone it.
  18. The livemap would have to be more like google maps, but I definitely understand that'd be quite hard to do (also because it's not EMCs own map, but some other plugin or so?) At least it's not something I expect EMC to (be able to) change. :p

I've tried decreasing the size on my browser, but most sites then look really weird :/ If possible, add an inbuilt size changer for just our site, so users can decide theirselves whether they like small or big text.

And yes, I also think I'm one of those that actually prefers smaller text for website :p (offtopic: I also like it when the light is off in class, it's much more comfortable for my eyes :p)

EDIT:

Shouldn't the M in mail be lowercase? :p
    607 and UltiPig like this.