[Forum Game] Mind Blowing Facts!

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by moonolotl, May 29, 2018.

1. [Not 100% sure if this counts as a forum game but it behaves like one and i don't think it fits in any other categories so here we are]

So i was in the shower (great start to the thread, I'm aware) then I randomly thought of the time someone told me this:

It is possible that two babies could be born at the exact same time yet, due to timezones, could have different birthdays depending on where they are in the world

Then i thought: This would make a great conversation topic for the forums.

So here I am. The rules are simple:
    -Reply with any mind blowing fact you can think of, anything that really makes you stop and think.
    -Try and keep the majority of replies some sort of fact
    -Make them as shocking as possible! (obviously, within EMC rules)

If i can be bothered I'll even list some of the good ones below.
    ShelLuser, TomvanWijnen, 607 and 4 others like this.
  2. At 1000 degrees f, structural steel will expand four inches for every 25 feet of material, pushing out supports and causing structural failure.
  3. If Jupiter would have accumulated approximately 80 times more gas, (hydrogen) our Solar System would have had 2 Stars.
    Eviltoade, Prairie_Fire and kamirosee like this.
  4. Jupiter's so massive, that we haven't been able to see what's really inside of it. Theories include a solid core larger than the earth.
    Eviltoade, luckycordel and kamirosee like this.
  5. Oxford University is older than the Aztec empire.
  6. You'll weigh around 5,5 ounces less on the equator, than you would on the poles
    kamirosee and Eviltoade like this.
  7. In the UK it is illegal to eat a mince pie on Christmas Day
  8. Did you know all clownfish are born male?
    Eviltoade and luckycordel like this.
  9. Did you know if you eat chocolate you are a genius already?
  10. That's a nice one.

I also posted this on my profile, but yesterday I realised: do you know submarines? Well, aeroplanes are supermarines. I'm not sure if that's mind-blowing, but I was surprised to find out we've actually got supermarines just as well as submarines, even though they've got a different name (aeroplane). :p
  11. A group of toads is often called a "knot."
  12. Also did you know an army of skeletons is called a troop :p
    PhoenixAffinity and luckycordel like this.
  13. Us humans are extremely driven at mimicking behavior, sometimes even without realizing it.

Next time you're having a conversation with someone IRL (and who is also actually paying attention to you) try touching your face. Stroke your chin, brush away some hair, just touch your face. 9 out of 10 times the person in front of you will pretty much do the same thing; at the very least touch their face. And they most likely won't even know that they're doing it.

Seeing (or trying) is believing.
  14. That seems like a fun way to try... I wonder if it won't make me laugh just doing it, though. :p
    PhoenixAffinity likes this.
  15. Bump! Anyone else have anything to add?
  16. Did you know that Mosquitos take the most human lives every year (compared to the other causes)?
  17. Hm, I doubt that. But I suppose it depends on how much you classify those other causes.
  18. *malaria*

Did you know supernova's are big?
    Like: What would be brighter: A supernova, vieuwed from the same distance as we vieuw the sun or a nitrogen bomb exploding on your redna?
    yeah... It's the supernova... by nine orders of magnitude. (1 000 000 000 times as much)

There is a word for trowing someone or something out of a window, It's called defenestration.

Something that blew my mind recently:
    Did you know an electron can both have a quantum spin of 1 and -1 but not of any other value?
    Okay, I'll shut up...
  19. Mhm, there’s also Zika, West Nile, Dengue Fever, and some horrifying extinct diseases. Over 700,000 people die to this stuff every year.
    kamirosee likes this.