Five Ideas to Help the Servers. [LOCKED] Too much hostility.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nerone94, Jun 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exp grinders can't be made in town, which is the main reason why people like me build in the wild. You can't tell people to simply build in town for safety when there's wild-exclusive stuff like this.
    1. Sounds like Fun, but... How frequently would there have to be stop points- If just one person leaves a minecart on the rail, The next person will run into it and get stuck. more or less. We already have something similar. The Four Outposts on each server. This gives easy access in all 4 directions 10,000 blocks. This takes the cake on this. Maybe a better suggestion would be to add more, further away outposts- This would be easier to do, and theoretically glitch free. Where the Massive Rail system may be full of glitches that would have to be worked out. and full of problems
    2. Uh... How about no. Why don't we just say. I hate the 60x60 protected residence I have in town. Give me a residence in the wild where I will have to travel out even further to gather resources because everyone else has claimed a residence right next door to the Spawn. Good idea in theory, but would not work for EMC.
    3. I am not against the Idea necessarily, but some of these flags are just impossible without first adding a method to transfer ownership of residences or co-owning a residence. I know that the EMC Staff (specifically JustinGuy and IcecreamCow) are always looking to improve the Minecraft experience for everyone, and I am certain they are looking into adding more flags as soon as it is possible. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the upcoming new ideas to improve EMC isn't new/additional flags. But I think they are waiting for the imminent 1.3 update; so they aren't halfway through a project when the update is released.
    4. Not Everyone. I will bite my tongue, This is all I will say about this topic. (I am against it)
    5. Unfortunately, to do this, one would not just be able to "tinker with the code", they would have to entirely re-write a code that hasn't even been officially released yet. I have seen quite a few conversations about Villager trading in 1.3; but I foresee EMC immediately disabling the trading with villagers right away. Until they can come up with a sufficient vanilla modification to the system that won't devastate the EMC economy.
    Some Great Ideas though, keep it up:D
  2. You are missing the point. The point is not to travel further out quickly. It is to reach unexplored areas of the map quickly. All four outposts are already "Discovered" area.
  3. EMC is fine as it is and I heard a rumor that there is going to be some awesome stuff going around so lets wait and fathom on what it couod be.
    DogsRNice likes this.
  4. I accidently posted early lol...
    when the worlds were reset this last time- They all had giant circles around the Spawn and Outposts. This was not the case before the reset. Before the reset- there was still areas in black in those 10,000 Radius circles. They had not been fully explored either. A person does not need to travel into the Black areas on the map to explore Unexplored areas of the map, the only difference is that you already know the basic terrain and biome... If a rail system is added to get out to those far out areas... They are no longer hard to reach. And will soon be explored territory in several thousand blocks in all directions. Which will defeat the original purpose of it, making it an outpost via rails- not Teleportation.

Not to be argumentative, but I didn't miss the point I simply saw it as a wonderful idea that would never work. I had no intentions of degrading the original idea. The original rail idea was a protected way via rails to get to the outer limits of the map. which could probably only be implemented in the event of a world reset- Which makes the entire infinite map unexplored. Oh, did I forget the Minecraft Maps are infinitely big (more or less)
  5. I am very sorry- I feel like I did not respond respectfully- Please accept my apology. Sometimes the blood gets boiling and I can talk till my point has been made 10 times.
  6. I just want to post on the idea of everyone getting map hiding privileges.

This particular item is a huge draw for supporters. I have three lots that I do practically nothing with - rupees are quite worthless to me. TNT is fun but .. The real draw to being a supporter is being able to hide from live map. I happen to do diamond over the other two, simply because I can afford to - and want to help the server however I can.

I know that this might not seem fair to people who can not support. It is, however, very important to the server that as many people donate as possible. I know, personally, that running a very small server is very expensive. The idea of running one, cost wise, the size of EMC makes me cringe. Not to mention, the website and man hours put into it.

I guess my point is, if they gave this particular thing away for free - they would loose a lot of badly needed money.
  7. I completely agree ^^^ I can't afford to be anything higher than an Iron supporter right now. The hiding from the map is the draw for me. I don't know what I would do with another residence right now because I am still working with the one I have always had. I could get an almost equivalent experience from EMC without supporting, but I feel like it is worth $5 of my money a month.
  8. I like number 5 allthough it is never going to happen. D:
  9. It helps you be aware that there are people you don't know around.
  10. I agree the draw is the hide command... It'd be the only reason I'd support... And with the cost of this big of a server ... EMC would fall apart.

It would be great, but like said. They would run out of money.

Although I wonder how many other supporters would be willing to give up that "perk/ability" to hide themselves from the map like you.(dont get me wrong im against the idea as i love the server and would hate to see it die)
  11. Let's do this one at a time haha.

Which is why, as I said, any perk they took away they would need to replace with another one of equal or greater value. This isn't about taking away perks and not replacing them. This is about giving a perk to all that would cut probably at LEAST 30% of the griefing on the server out. If it can make that big of an impact, which I believe it can, then why not try it? I'm sure there are perks we can come up with that would make supporting just as attractive.

The blade cuts both ways. Since some people cant afford to support, and that makes wild living nearly impossible, a lot of people have left due to the griefing that we can't seem to stop.

Any exposed portion of the map is already rendered. You can't know what biome it is without rendering that part of the map. So, no, those areas can't be black (unless there is some witchcraft involved where justin renders the map without rendering it).

The point of reaching hard to reach maps is that, with updates adding new biomes and new ores, you either have to reset the map to get them into the mix, or walk a half hour out to reach that black area of the map that will render them. Imagine if we had rails to reach the black when Jungle Biomes were added. There would have been no reason to reset the maps at all, and all that work people had put in wouldn't have gone to waste. You could simply have ridden out to the black, uncovered a biome, and rode back when you wanted to.
  12. I am not sure how it was done, but the Giant Circles were rendered onto the Live Map when they created the map- Even though no player had actually set foot in those chunks. The original idea was for the rails to go as far as the black areas on the map... which is 10,o00 blocks out... To get to the black areas on the map, it would only be useful on the outposts because the main spawn rail would just travel directly into the Outposts' rails. The big problem I have is that it is entirely protected, so depending on how often a person could get off the rails- This would open up The entire map to close up access on the Main Spawn and the Four Outposts. I think this would defeat the purpose of the Outposts in the first place, and possibly do bad things to the EMC economy... That is all
  13. 1. A protected Railway system in the wild.

We have asked for this numerous times, and some people have even tried to set it up. But, griefers go'n grief. So obviously, there needs to be some way to stop them from being able to touch it. I know it is possible, because I have seen it on other servers. Alas, I do not know the ins and outs of permission programs that well. But would it be too difficult to take away players abilities to lay this type of item down?

14. 1. "Protected rail" would be great, if possible. So would protected areas of *anything* in the wild. But IDK if it will ever happen.

I don't think it's the best way to get to the unexplored areas though; that could be achieved more easily with more/new 'outposts'. For example, how about adding NorthEast/NorthWest/SouthEast/SouthWest Outposts, at -10k/-10k, -10k/+10k, +10k/-10k, +10k/+10k. Or, how about another portal at the each of the current 4 outposts that goes to another 10k in that same direction?

Those could be particularly useful if 1.3 comes along and we're not having a wild reset, because it'd make emerald-hunting less painful.

2. Res flags - Mostly "yes" but, it's difficult. You *can* already live in the wild; just, you can't protect it from grief. I think many people would like some way to have protected areas in the wild - especially those of us who want to build nice things there that are not possible in town (e.g. mob traps) but are restricted by worries about griefing. However, it can easily get complicated: for example, if I have a 'res' in the wild, does that cover all the way down to bedrock? Imagine mining a tunnel and keep hitting "you cannot build here". And what about the immediate borders? in town, we have the paths system; in the wild, people could do *anything* right on the edge of the designated area. It wouldn't be simple to implement.

3. Sharing a res is very dodgy. Unfortunately, if the res owner quits or is banned, then the other person has a major problem. I once made the mistake of building a significant structure on the res of another (diamond) user; he later quit minecraft, and I lost a lot of money/time - I had to destroy it and get what I could, because it was scheduled for reset - I lost lots of smooth/glowstone etc. I asked if the res could be transferred, but didn't get any help there.

There's also the problem if people disagree. Presently, it's always up to the res owner, who could revoke permission. If two people had the same authority, a disagreement would be very difficult to resolve.

Regarding "tpset" - to be honest, that sounds like you've had one very specific incident, and really it isn't *that* hard for the res owner to get up and change the tp location. I suggest using "Residential Teleport System" to interconnect the two areas.

If you can allow others to set the res spawn, you have to be able to disallow it too, and... I think it's too complicated for a problem that is really quite easily solved in other ways. "Keep it simple".

4. No. I signed up as supporter *because* it would let me hide on the live map. I didn't care about the other perks; if it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have bothered.

It absolutely would *not* be the end of griefing. In some ways, it'd help the griefers, 'coz they could hide too.

5. "Villager trading" is already a feature in the next test-version ("snapshot") of minecraft, and thus is very likely to be introduced in the near future. However, I would not want to trust a testificate to sell my own items. I think the chests work fine (except for a few bugs).
  15. Allowing everyone to hide from the live map would prevent griefing more than it encourages it, and I don't having a screenshot of someone on your griefed property on the live map is enough proof to get them banned, anyway.

I reckon hiding from the live map should be for everyone, and that supporters should have another equally-attractive perk for a substitute. Just nothing that exposes the rest of the community to rule-breaking.
  16. I think that the wild should be a "dangerous" place but the one solution to the problem of griefiers is somehow making spawners themselves indestructible. Would that not solve the main issue of griefing in the wild?
    Herbrin3 likes this.
  17. I honestly can't think of anything equivalent.

When I took up supporter, that was the only benefit that interested me.
    jkjkjk182, Pab10S and sqiggleyjeff like this.
  18. It wouldn't solve it, but it would certainly ameliorate the problems. "Grinders" could still be griefed, but would be salvagable.

In addition, I believe the new test-version of minecraft proposes to give significant XP for breaking spawners - which is worrying, because it means people are far more likely to simply smash them.

I think we should start a movement/campaign, to "Conserve Our Wild Spawners". Only one thing; the acronym is "COWS" ;-)
  19. Jimmytatertots3000: Oh hey I can /map hide, I'ma go visit this lovely wild outpost. *griefs outpost*
    SusieLuvsBieber: Someone griefed my wild outpost house and nobody saw them on the live map.

Jimmytatertots3000: Oh hey that was fun, lets do it again! *griefs other stuff.*

See where this is going? >.>
    jkjkjk182 and stephan9r9r like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.