Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Yes they will...
    MrUnknownian likes this.
  2. They wont because withes spawn in huts, if you have the area lit up around it or slabbed and caves lit up, theres no were for the witches to spawn other than the what was once a hut,.
    607 likes this.
  3. ... oh, well. That is one way to look at it. The actual Witch hut structure won't be saved fyi though.
  4. yeah theres like three separate 10 hour projects down the drain :/
    mba2012 likes this.
  5. Spawn on nether brick sounds good. :)
  6. I love the idea of spawning on nether brick, but will they spawn on say a stone/wood plate to make a wither skull trap/farm
  7. i dont think the plate matters thats a tile entity i believe they are still spawning on the block below im pretty sure
    chickeneer likes this.
  8. Good idea Aikar. Yes to the same things everyone else said:

- Spawn on any NetherBrick item (Nether Brick, Nether Stair, Nether Slab - of any orientation)
    - Spawn only in light levels the same as vanilla (0-7)

Though it may SEEM like a good idea to add more restrictions to reduce the number of Withers, I think this would just make things even more troublesome for a players. Keep it simple, keep people happy.

Having said that: If you want to add further restriction to increase the rarity of Wither Skeles, maybe make them spawn only in random 'chunks'. Like a slime chunk for the nether.
    People would have to go find them like they do slimes, only they'd have to cover the area in netherbrick. (OMG that'll be ugly). Or they'd find a nether fortress and watch for where they spawn, knowing that is a 'wither chunk'.

BUT: I am in favour of just the first 2 simple conditions: 1. Nether Brick + blocks and 2. Light level
  9. I can personally guarantee you that witch farms break.. I world downloaded mine and tested it in 1.7 and witches barely even spawned. Plus the shifting floor doesn't even work anymore.
  10. If witches are barely spawning in it there are 2 possible reasons why,
    1. Mojang have played with the witch spawn rates in huts
    2. Your entity count is to high, make sure all caves and surface are lit or flooded
  11. i agree with this, because it's annoying to have powers on your own res that you don't want just because a neighbor has a beacon nearby
    607 and marine4121 like this.
  12. Agreed kinda annoying when your neighbour has jump boost or haste.
  13. Please don't make them spawn on just nether brick, I'm sure a few of us have built our farms out of stone brick, or another material and it'd be annoying swapping our whole trap out.
  14. I totaly don't have a huge netherbrick platform over a massive lava lake...
    607 likes this.
  15. Witches will also have a spawn boost inside of Swamps, so not JUST the hut, but any swamp can be used for finding witches.
    mba2012 and samsimx like this.
  16. I spent hours lighting up caves and placing water.. I know what I'm doing. The entity count was NOT high. Your first reason is just part of why witch farms are now broken.
    mba2012 likes this.
  17. If the netherbrick thing does get implemented, will they spawn on netherbrick fences/stairs/slabs as well?
    Can mobs even spawn on stairs?
  18. Maybe add some randomness to this? So that it's not that easy to just build a netherbrick farm and that's it, make it random so that it doesn't come up every time on every block.

Me likey.
  19. And if this spawns on nether brick won't they spawn in realy world not only nether
  20. It will only be nether.

Aikar: Based on this page ; Nether Fortresses only appear between 18 and 94; so maybe only let them spawn in those height levels, on NetherBrick, in low lighting. Just my thought on that.