Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aikar, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Sounds reasonable.

This was my attempt for the community to get a chance for it to be better than vanilla spawn potential, but if this is what you all want :)
    DogsRNice, mba2012 and Pab10S like this.
  2. Nethah brick plz
  3. So, I know I'm a little late on suggestions, but just a single netherbrick anywhere in the nether shouldn't be able to spawn a NS in my mind. That's not close to vanilla in my book. It would be really easy to greif some bricks around spawn and have skeletons all over the place.

I don't really understand how the spawn requirements code works, so I don't know exactly what a reasonable suggestion, but something like:
    Checks to see how many nether brick are in the loaded chunk, more brick = more chance of spawn. Or, check to see if there is a nbrick above or below, or check to see if there are several styles of nbrick items, like fence and stairs nearby.

Some restriction that actually helps farmers control and prevents random spawns from just any netherbrick structure or block, or even allows existing fortresses to be made neutral. If we are ditching vanilla, I think some specific criteria could be a really good thing. I just don't know what is possible/practical within minecraft.

At a minimum, I agree with the existing suggestions as ICC has stated.
  4. Suggestion.

You mentioned huge lag spikes every 15 minutes due to the auto save, why not have the server do differential saves, the structures don't move or change ever, so have the server save all the Region data and player data etc, just leave the Structure data, of course it would mean it's sitting there in memory but I'm sure we have more than enough memory on the beast of the servers EMC runs of (32GB I believe..?)

Just a suggestion,
  5. Thats essentially changing the internals of the server on how it saves data, which is EXTREMELY dangerous and runs risk of losing data.

Plus, an update can come along that changes the world save format that makes it extremely difficult to maintain.

We have to consider maintainability of this system, and implementing the spawning myself is future proof (Will require very little maintenence) where as modifying the internals of saving in the minecraft core can add TONS of work on version updates and adds risk of corrupting data.

Then theres also the fact that Mojang has already broken fortresses, theres not much point for us to save 1.6 locations considering the 1.6 locations are already broke because Mojang never cared about world terrain shifts breaking fortress locations until now.

So, we would be saving 90% broken locations. Doesn't do us much good.
    mba2012 and RainbowChin like this.
  6. Can you not implement a biome check to make it so they can only spawn on Netherbrick placed in a fortress biome? Heck, I don't even remember if Fortress's are biome specific, so if there's not a biome called Nether Fortress, then just disregard this. But, if there is, then this would at least require the farms to be made in a realistic location and size.
  7. I still am confused as to how you guys don't think everyone and their brother won't just go to the nether, walk a few blocks out, throw down a few stacks of Netherbrick to make a little platform, and then just farm the wither skeletons very easily (or just make an auto farm). And then spawn rates can just be manipulated by slabbing off the area surrounding it in order to increase spawn rates within the nether brick platform.
  8. Exactly. It'd still be the same amount of work, just wherever you want it to be.
  9. Because the people who will do that have already done it. Location doesn't matter.
    jkjkjk182 and darthin like this.
  10. also theres only a chance of spawning a wither skelly... its not 100 percent. and anyone who builds off spawn is a. not going to be able to do dmg most of the time and b. going to get griefed all to heck.
    i mean have yall seen the area around nether spawn? its even bad on smp6 and smp3. i honestly cannot see these new mechanics causing as big of a fuss as some of yall are making it out to be. the nether is no less/more dangerous then it was before and it isnt any easier to get a massive amount of wither skellies in a short time so wheres the beef bro?

as long as the spawns are normal fortress spawns (including slimes, regular skellys, pigmen, netherhounds, and blazes) i dont see people "griefing" with random scattered netherbrick. at least not for very long

also do wither skellys now have their own id in the code? or is it still a 50 50 chance of either type?
    cadgamer101 likes this.
  11. 80 (wither) - 20 (normal)
  12. 1.7 Allows them to spawn at night anywhere.
  13. That's irrelavent to what we were talking about... I'm not talking about anything regarding where witches spawn outside of witch huts, only in them, since those are how witch farms work. Frankly, I couldn't care less about where they spawn outside of witch huts. I'm not sure if you think you are correcting me or something, but in reality all you're doing is attempting to do so.
  14. That's irrelevant to what we were talking about... Witches are not wither skeletons.
    samsimx likes this.
  15. Wait they aren't? :eek:
  16. Well, spawn only in generated structures, unique outside of them, have nice drops...
  17. Do I need to show you were bitemenow15 asked a question regarding witches? The post that lameidl responded to was my answer to bite, so it was in fact on topic.

EDIT:
    Tell me more about how it isn't on topic? The title doesn't have to dictate everything said in the thread
  18. Nope. I know that the only similarity between the two is that they are immune to fire, and via penguin logic, that makes them the same thing.
    SCREW YOU PENGUIN LOGIC!!!!
    *sits back and watches this*
  19. There is a major chance of abuse with this netherbrick idea. And if withers can spawn on netherbricks to the same extent as they currently do in fortresses, the prices of skulls and beacons will drastically decline. I kid you not, this WILL be abused by quite a few members. And for those of you who make the argument that people will still not go into the nether, and that nothing will change, that's a very bias statement. It's bias because this is an idea that can be seen to make a profit out of easily for the first few months. Beacons will probably be worth no more than 6k on average, looking at how extraordinarily the prices changed on iron. I was gone for maybe 5 months, and the price went from 8-9r to .5-2r each, and it is still lowering thanks to the iron farms we have. The price will change, I can almost guarantee it.
  20. That isn't the point though trent, some people may want their witch huts to isolate just the witches like intended.
    MrUnknownian likes this.